1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you could change one thing about BG

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by AK_Rooster, Oct 8, 2001.

1. AK_Rooster Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] If u could change one thing about Baldur's gate what would it be?

[You've been warned at least 3 times already about using l33t spelling like "u" instead of "you" etc. If you won't read the Rules/FAQ and comply, your posting privileges will be removed. I'll fix the headline this time, but it's the last.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited October 08, 2001).]

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I would make it much bigger. I am still waiting for the BG2 to be thrown totally away. And make the new BG2 an add-on to BG1 area maps. :) BG1 is flawless in my opinion. And the story is the most intriguous ever.

Perhaps some more stories attached to NPCs. That is it.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I would change the movement system, so that the characters could move eachother around (as in Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2) if they are stuck.

4. zaknafein Guest

pathfinding i mean it just plain sucks

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

From a strict game play perspective, I'd have to echo the pathfinding problems which plague the whole series (and most other games as well).

However, what I'd really like to see is making the NPC interactions more like they are in BG2: actual dialogue instead of just 'background noise' (which is often hard to follow), special responses to various non party characters, etc. That kind of stuff is what I like and adds a lot to replay in BG2 (ie lets see what this combo of NPCs does/says).

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I like to look at the plot and side adventurs more then anything. The plots got a few dents in it but for the most part is really good. It really could use more towns and dungens then woods after woods. The NPC's could use a little working on too.

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Hmm, it'd be a toss up between the pathfinding and the games spontaineous crashes to desktop/ blue screen of death. Both of these annoy me every time i play BG.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I wouldn't change the game for it is already great. You don't have to make the game larger for it already continues in TotSC and BG2: SoA. I would make BG also capable for 800x600 as resolution.

9. Well, for one thing, I would definitly change the classes. There isn't enough like Throne of Bhaal!

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

All basic classes are in BG and that is enough for me. Many kits are bad in the first 5 levels....

11. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I agree with all points so far.. plus I'd like more people to talk to, more villages and so forth.. there's just too much walking around the woods slaying various beasts... To me, the most amusing part of the BG games is the quests you do in Athkatla, like the skinner murders, where you actually walk around and talk to people, and mostly get to choose different ways of solving problems. There just isn't enough of that in BG1, which means, you have very few options to play the roleplay the game as an evil character, since almost every quests needs to be solved in a "good" way. Even the main quest is somewhat good to its nature, helping out with the mines and all.. in bg2, you can just motivate everything you do with selfish needs for vengeance.

Hope I didn't make too many bg2 references there.

12. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In adition to the improved pathfinding I would say being able to find out generally how damaged your opponents are.

13. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Yes! Yes! To kemanmaldea you must listen! That is the one thing about BG. It's not really relevant for gibberling but for those "on up there enemies" I sure would like to know if they are badly injured or near death and whatnot.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Another point is that in there is les sveriety in monsters in many aprts. Yuo encounter Xvarts, Gibberlings, Kobolds and Skeletons and that's it. After a while they really are easy and boring and then I'm glad al my characters can hide in shadows and I can just ignore them :)

I also expected some more riddles in the BG series. It's sometimes still abit too much hack and slash, and not about being smart, but then I suppose the game wouldn't be a success in Denmark :):):)

15. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Ha-ha-ha... Headbanger, Well that was funny (in case you didnt' notice it, that was ironic)

But anyway i would probably put more NPC interaction, or a more interactive storyline in the game. But its a great game and there's not whole lot that i would change.

16. jesper898 Guest

I would make the NPCs (oh sorry i mean ROBOTS)say even more than in BG2:)

17. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'd like all the BG2 character classes and kits included for sticklers like me that insist on playing every character from level 1.

That tab key highlights everything thingy from ToB would also help.

Dual-weilding (it's in BG2) would also be nice, after all isn't that one of the reasons for playing a ranger?

18. Minsc Guest

Minsc would rid Baldur's Gate of all evil!

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] OK, I've tried to see what Minsc's comment has to do witht hread but can't make the connection. Is it just me, or is that a spam for no reason??

On a related note, the one thing i would love to change in BG is turn the character creation into more 3rd ed. style. Each race can go any class, and any class combination is available to multiclass with. I know it's AD&D rules, but when i made my character i missed having those options. Been playing too much P&P me thinks...

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I think that sucks and is one of the bad things of 3rd edition. Some classes shouldn't be played by some races. Elves are no paladins for example. When you wanna play a class, just choose a race that fits him then. For the rest, in games I like the skill system more then the one in 3rd edition.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.