1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you could change one rule...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by CamDawg, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ditto for what Abom said, except:

NO spontaneous casting. It totally ruins the flavor of magic in D&D. Spells should be memorized, cast, and then forgotten until it is studied/prepared/memorized again. That's why sorcerers are the most ridiculous class to be created ever.

Basically apart from that, the implementation of 3rd ed rules would be awesome ala IWD2.

2. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Will the new icewind gate mod solve the problems of the multiclass options(paladin/wizard)? If so, then i can't wait for it to come out!!!

3. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

[​IMG]
    Wow, there sure are a lot of people around here who can't count to "one." ;)

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well we could just say "Make it 3rd Edition"... does that count as 1 rule?

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The one rule that I would change:

Rangers should be ANY alignment! The idea that they have to be "good" is truely an afront to gods like Malar!

6. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Allow multi/dual classing for all class types.

Particularily things like Sorcerer, since it's supposed inborn I see no reason why you can't have a fighter/sorcerer

7. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Splitting your party without having to remove them from party (And hearing those "Don't you want me" cries). The whole party on same district is okay, but if I just want to go to copper coronet and have a good time without my paladin would be nice. :p

8. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If I could change one little thing it would be more elven chain mail in the game. My fighter/mage/thief needs it early. And why is it always green? My chaotic evil offspring of the very essence of murder doesn't look very menacing in his shiny, glistening GREEN chain mail!!

9. Symm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I find this idea rather intruiging...it sounds a good idea, however at what point in the battle does the game resume 30fps...if it never does resume 30fps and stays at 5fps all the animations and spells would be in slow-motion.

EDIT: Wait...I have an idea. Rather than 5fps the game could still run at 30fps, but the time scale is altered, instead of a round taking 6 seconds it could actually take 60 seconds (user configurable). This would not produce slow-motion effects, and would give much more time for actions.

Planescape Torment was really good at this...choosing a different option actually made a difference.

You can script this sort of thing to a hot-key you know...

If I could change one rule in the AD&D ruleset, I would have to go for some sort of change to Hit Points...I've never been happy with HP, I know some people term HP as luck, and by losing HP you are losing luck until your luck finally runs out.

Look at a fantasy movie...they have battles whereby the protagonists are rarely 'hit', they mainly block and dodge, maybe get buffeted about a bit and ride their luck...but they rarely get massive injuries.

10. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hit points are actually a combination of luck, physical hardiness, magic, and divine protection. A fighter with 100 hit points is actually just as vulnerable to a single death blow as is a fighter with 10 hit points, but the one with 100 has a lot more tricks up his lseeve that you will have to exhaust before he will be vulnerable to that blow. The one with 10 will get winded a lot quicker, etc.

But I still agree somewhat. Instead of hit points increasing every level, it would make more sense if your armor class and your damage ranges increased. A highly skilled martial artist isn't really all that much more physically resistant to a sword blow than the average person -- but he certainly is much harder to hit in the first place, and he can also do a lot more damage with that sword than the average person, too.

Maybe Gary Gygax just figured that after putting all that work into getting your character up to a high level, you don't want him taken out as easily as he would have been at first level....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.