1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If Gorion was such a good guy, why the hell can I be so evil?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Jaguar, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

[​IMG] Ever since I started BG, a little though has been nagging in the far reaches of my brain. If Gorion was such a good guy and the main character's foster father/role model, why is there the option of being evil.

Sarevok was evil because of his upbringing. But the life in Candlekeep was damn near well-adjusted. I mean, all those monks, good teachers, goodey-goodey Imoen as best friend and saint Gorion as your pop. Not much room for evil there.

Taking any sane explanations.

2. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well for me the answer is quite simple, since in the nature/nurture debate I believe in the nature-theory. Some people are just born 'evil'. That certainly counts for charname; his alignment is at least partly 'bred in the bone'.

3. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Because the developers wanted it that way. That, or because your father was Bhaal blah blah genetic bs. It doesn't make sense to me either. But then, evil never does make any sense...

4. Stonedtroll Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Some people are sheep and some are wolves. A sheep dosn't understand why the wolf preys upon the sheep, the wolf understands that there are sheep to prey upon.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just because you are brought up in a good and just manner, doesn't make you good. Gorion knows your heritage and is trying to protect you from it and hopes to keep you on the side of good.

Being an evil person, you can easily 'Play' at being good to fool Gorion and his cronies and when you are free you can then go on a rampage and show your true power.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't Gorion a Harper. So he would be neutral right?

Neutral can still go in both ways I think.

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes, but Harpers aren't strictly neutral.

From the FRCS...
    "Those Who Harp believe in the power of individuals, the balance between the wilderness and civilization, and the good of humankind and its allied creatures".

Most of the powerful members of the Harpers are CG in alignment and the Harpers are enemies of most evil organizations in Faerun.

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Since your real father is "somewhat" evil you have it in your blood.
    And my guess is that when you see Gorion get murdered something in your brain twist and your evil blood takes over.

9. Wil Gems: 6/31

Agreed! You say to yourself:
    "So, Gorion, that's where your 'good' leads you! I beg to differ!"

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Quite frankly I see no problem with either or both or nature and/or nurture resulting in the protagonist being evil. Lets see, we have a young adult who has been raised by a bunch of represive goody two shoes and you find it difficult to believe that he/she might possibly resent that dull life and want to raise a little hell after slipping his/her leash?

11. nl255 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hint: You will find out near the end of Baldur's Gate and in Baldur's gate 2

*spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*
    *spoiler*

Turns out you are the offspring of the dead God of Murder, an evil diety.

12. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

If you choose to play an evil char, I guess that since the blood of Bhaal flows in your veins, it has twisted your mind into being evil.. If you are a good char, you are probably more resilient to these effects.. Or something like that.. :p

13. Wil Gems: 6/31

I suppose it's like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker, and the dark side. Which way will you choose? Is there any freedom?

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Why bother resurrecting a thread just to add something that's already been said? I think it's pretty obvious that Jaguar has beaten the game before, and has probably played through BG2 + ToB countless times. This was more of a philosophical question rather than a plotline one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.