1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Identifying items - what's the point?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dr_Asik, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In every RPG I find the "identifying items" mechanic pointless. It's always possible to identify an item, so the fact that the item is initially unidentified merely delays the moment you'll be able to use it. Also, there's no trade-off to identifying items: it's always good to identify, and it costs nothing except for gameplay time. Also, once you've been through the game, you know what the items are before identifying them, so it's even more pointless.

I know there's a tweak in BG2Tweaks to identify all items, but I'm just wondering why I should maybe not install it.

2. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree there is little to no realism in that, I sometimes wondered about it too.
    Just installed the game yesterday(BGT) and also I installed the b2tweaks. I left out that option mainly because it would take out some functionality out of my Blade.

When you put high INT and WIS to your Bard it adds to your lore, rare conversation options and chance to memorize the spell (I did NOT install 100% to scribe a scroll), I think it adds complexity and perhaps some more meaning to those two rather unimportant stats.

It is convenient though I finished IWD2 with this component and well, can't say it took out much joy of the game for me. There's a big chance I'd install it again if I wasn't playing Bard :D

3. Pyroreaver Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

dude, its to add usefulness to the less used classes and (such as bards) add a tad bit more roleplaying or use up your 1st level identify spells. In the beginning of the game where you dont' have enough lore and you need to speend precious money to identify it, it is a resource management and choosing which to identify first. first run thru it can be interesting

later in the game and after x runs, this does become tedious right clicking all the time. use the tweak if you think its a bore.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's the reason - I also will second Pyro's comment that if you don't have a bard, there's a ton o' stuff that you won't be able to identify just by right clicking. While you'd technically need a lore of 100 to identify everything, getting it up to 50 or 60 is usually functional enough - the glasses of identification will be sufficient to identify the items that require higher lore values.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree with Pyroreaver. Although I will say that the part I never understood was having to identify items crafted by Cromwell/Cespenar. I mean, who in their right mind would give someone a bunch of good items and gold without knowing what they’re going to get in return?

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Who in their right mind would take an item Cespenar had been tinkering with and play with it?! :p

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't think you have to identify crafted items. Unless you mean that you don't know what the stats of the crafted item you'll get until after you make it. Although for most of the stuff, the individual parts are either entirely non-functional (like the wave halberd, the equalizer, gesen bow, etc.), or that the additional piece you add is non-functional unless you add it to the item you already have (like the Eye of Tyr, or the claw (forget the name of it) you add to the Axe of the Unyielding). About the only item I can think of offhand where you are giving up potential usable items individually would be Crom Faeyr, where you're giving up two strength enhancing items for one.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Now that I think of it, I’m not really sure what identifying items actually does that suddenly makes it useable. Consider a hypothetical example of Bill the Bard and Fred the Fighter:

Fred: Look at this sword I just found!
    Bill: You can’t use it without identifying it first.
    Fred: Oh, OK, what is it then?
    Bill: It looks like it’s the Sword of Flatulence, which emits noxious gasses when hitting evildoers.
    Fred: Neat! What do I have to do to use it?
    Bill: Nothing. Just equip and attack.
    Fred: Huh? Why couldn’t I have done that before?
    Bill: I told you – it had to be identified first.
    Fred: But why couldn’t I have just used it and found out for myself?
    Bill: How can you use it if you don’t know what it does?
    Fred: It’s a sword!. Swinging sticks is kinda what I do!
    Bill: *sigh* Look, that’s just the way it works. If you don’t like it, go join the Titan Quest.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, given that I am in the middle of Tutu right now, I will tell you how it's working for me. The Greywolf +2 sword, for example. I had no one to identify it when I got it, but I gave it to Minsc (he'll try anything) and he had no problem swinging it at all. Plus, it gave the appropriate bonus and the cold damage without being identified. When I found a wand of magic missiles, however, the game would not let me use it without ID'ing it.

Rings and boots could be worn without ID'ing them as well.

My thought is that something like a wand requires a triggering even that you need to know by ID'ing it, whereas swords and clothes, obviously, need no such thing.

That's how I justify it.

10. Splunge

Media:
    Hmm, it's obviously been awhile since I played (which it has), because my (apparently inaccurate) recollection is that you couldn't even equip items that haven't been ID'd, let alone get their bonuses.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You can equip items that don't need triggering (swords, armour, girdle of gender bender...) things that need triggering need to be understood first (scrolls, wands, items with special per day abilities)

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And if you had to identify everything before you could equip it, all those cursed items wouldn't be such a problem either. Unless of course you just put anything on your characters, without paying any attention at all to what the description says.

13. Pyroreaver Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

LOL !

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.