1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ideal and less-than-ideal Wedding Songs/Funeral Songs

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aldazar, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just a little idea that came to me recently thanks to a local radio station, one of the announcers was on her last shift as she was getting married the next day so out of interest she asked listeners to call in with suggestions of what songs NOT to play as she walked down the aisle, of course most callers had to add suggestions for good ones to play.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of ideas you guys might have on the topic, partly out of interest but also because some months back I bought the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers album and I decided that if I ever do take the plunge I want "Hard To Concentrate" played either as my bride-to-be walks down the aisle or as our Bridal Waltz song.

And I tacked on the Funeral Songs bit because over the last few years I've decided that INXS's "By My Side" was what I might want played at my funeral.

Thoughts?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Although I've never really thought of songs for walking down the aisle, those played at the reception are more often the questionable ones. Classics at receptions that are questionable are:

Every Breath You Take -- this is about a stalker.
    I Will Always Love You -- major breakup song. (same with One by U2).
    My Heart Will Go On -- about the death of her boyfriend.
    Lips of an Angel -- the guy is thinking of cheating on his wife.
    When a Man Loves a Woman -- about a guy who never guessed his wife was fooling around.

As far as walking down the aisle to stay away from...
    Dude Looks Like a Lady
    Love Stinks
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Roxanne
    Funeral For a Friend
    Someone Saved My Life Tonight

I must admit I thought playing You Can't Always Get What You Want at the funeral in The Big Chill was hilarious (the person had committed suicide).

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

The only specific songs that actually stuck in my mind from the suggestions - aside from the ones you've mentioned T2 - are:
    Meatloaf's "Paradise By The Dashboard Light"
    "Put Another Log On The Fire" by I-can't-remember-who
    "D.I.V.O.R.C.E." with a few different versions of that mentioned and
    "When You Say Nothing At All" by Ronan Keating - the reason given for avoiding this was that in the caller's opinion it's basically saying STFU

Mind you, most callers suggested avoiding just about anything by Celine Dion or Whitney Houston in particular

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Best Funeral Song
    "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen

Best Wedding Song
    Same.

Runner Up for Best Wedding Song
    "Me So Horny" by 2LiveCrew

C'mon...what IS a marriage if not effectively telling a woman "me love you long time?"

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Good funberal song would be "Who wants to live forever" by Queen, but my own choice would be "Fire" by Arthur Brown. Or "fire" by Jimi Hendrix. ;)

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think songs like "Hell's Bells", "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC or "Go to Hell" by Alice Cooper would be tasteless at a funeral (no matter how much of a pr*ck the deceased was in life). "Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone" would also be in poor taste.

As for weddings, "You Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest might be strangely accurate. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" might not be good either...

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Anti-Wedding song:
    Closer by Nine Inch Nails :)

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    To Gnarff's list: "Highway to Hell" would not be very fitting at a wedding, either. ;)

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I remember a show where Billy Idol laughed about people choosing "White Wedding" for their receptions.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Isn't he mocking his sister's choice of groom in that song or somesuch.

11. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

That song actually strikes me as referring to a forced wedding, perhaps because the bride is pregnant. Maybe it's the reference to "shotgun"

12. nior Gems: 24/31

I've never really given wedding songs a though but Wagner's Flight of the Valkyrie would be unique for the bride's walk down the aisle. :grin:

As for funeral song, I want Israel Kamakawiwoole's Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World played during my own.

13. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I always like the thought of Alice in Chains' "Love Hate Love" as a wedding song... "Sweet little angel you should have run... lying, crying, dying to leave".

For a funeral, maybe Stone Temple Pilot's "Naked Sunday".

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Funeral (Good) - The Lark Ascending, Ave Maria, and I'd quite like "Three Days" by Janes Addiction at mine.

Funeral (Bad) - Hit me baby, one more time.

15. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Once I went to a wedding and the bride chose Yesterday as the music to play when the couple were leaving the church. Man, I couldn’t stop giggling as the first verses of the song started:

“Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away…”

Damn, that was funny…

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Funeral (bad) - Alive and kicking - Simple minds

Wedding (good) - Open your eyes - Snow Patrol

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Great song, but awful choice... unless she was trying to be funny :confused:

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I remember a story of a girl telling her mother that when she got married it would be the end of her troubles. The Mother just asked her which end that was...

Montresor likes this.
  19. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I believe she liked the song but didn't know the meaning of the lyrics... ;)

20. nior Gems: 24/31

That reminds me of a team-building conference I once had. At the end of the conference, we were supposed to select a song as our theme. And one girl seriously suggests Queen's Love of My Life.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.