1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ich habe upgraded

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Barmy Army, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is the machine I have just built.

* MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    * Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
    * MSI P67A-GD53 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **
    * Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Gaming Case - Black
    * Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    * OCZ StealthXStream 2 700W Power Supply
    * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache
    * Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3)
    * Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive

It was a semi-budget build, whilst trying to keep a bit of power and future-proof-ability (a new word, get in).

What do we reckon?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What did you spend?

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Just under £800.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Whoa! 700 Watts with a single Radeon and one HDD? Well, you can add a ton more stuff to that if you want to... :)

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting. I just ordered a very similar system a couple of days ago:

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
    Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maintenance Free LGA1366/1156/1155/AM3
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3 Motherboard
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V Dual Channel Memory
    XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 830MHZ 1GB 5.2GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort Video Card
    Antec High Current Gamer 620W 48A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power S
    Western Digital WD Caviar Black 750GB 7200RPM 64MB Buffer SATA3 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive
    Fractal Design Define R3 SE White ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Front USB
    LG GH22NS70 Super Multi 22X SATA DVD Writer Black OEM
    ASUS VE247H 23.6IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS 10M1DC HDMI DVI-D VGA Speakers
    Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard USB English Retail Box
    Logitech MX518 US Optical Gaming Grade Mouse 1800DPI With Programmable Buttons USB
    Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless 802.11N USB Adapter

Cost before shipping and taxes was just under $1,400, so a bit more expensive than yours (which works out to ~$1,250 Cdn) after adjusting for the fact that you didn’t get the last 4 items on my list (~$300), and I didn’t get a SSD (~$250)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was doing a bit of browsing for a new machine and came up with some different choices (always nVidia for me and no SSD), but very similar overall. The Intel Core i5-2500(K) seems to be the CPU of choice at the moment. So that's a good build.

Edit: ha, looks like we're on an upgrading spree! :wave:

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    That's the idea my friend ^^ maybe Crossfire/SLI another 6950, I have space. Undecided yet - some games don't recognise SLI.

---------- Added 0 hours, 3 minutes and 6 seconds later... ----------

The 2500k can be OC'd to hell, as can that card I chose. I think that's why they are so popular. i5 2500k will out-bench a core i7 processorm which is nuts.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I rely on my computer too much to play around with overclocking so I probably wouldn't bother getting a 2500K and would just go for a 2500. But then again, the difference in price is small so who knows...

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    You won't hurt anything by overclocking, provided you don't increase the core voltage by a load. It's very easy to OC these days, and it'd be a shame to get the i5 2500 or 2500k and not increase the clock.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And with the MSI motherboard that both Barmy and I got, there's something called an OC Genie that will do the overclocking for you. If you know what you're doing (which I don't), you could probably do better manually, but the OC Genie should be good for a basic (and safe) overclock.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    MSI have a thing for including a bunch of apps with their motherboards but each one tends to be more useless than the next, at least in my experience over the years. :shake:

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well now. Upgrading lads? With the Intels.

Monday the last parts will arrive. As an AMD/ATI fanboy.....

The two year old processor x4 810 will be replaced by an x4 975. Already I can play The witcher 2 on high settings with the old 810.

The 2 year old Gigabyte MA 790XT UD4P mainboard stays if the bios update works. If it does not a new bulldozer ready board will replace it. I hope it works since my OEM windows is linked to it. The board is not bulldozer compatible.

A second MSI cyclone stock over-clocked 6850 will replace the temporary second 6850.

My PSU is a NZXT 750 watt 80+ gold. It replaced a Seasonic 80+ bronze 520 watt . Remember that a PSU performs best in the 50%/75% load ratio, and its power degrades slowly after time. So 700 watt is not overkill when you have a high end videocard and CPU. 125 watt for a high end CPU, 150+ for some GPU's, and all the rest add up.

All the wiring for the 12 ccfl's and 5 led casefans will be replaced. A new control panel for the lights will be installed. A Lamptron Hummer, combined with a central 8 channel inverter block. Wiring will be sleeved with UV reactive sleeving.

The 3 hdd's (2 ssd) will be moved to the bottom with one of the 120 mm fans. A new dual slot fancontroller for 5 fans and 5 temp sensors already runs.

A new Thermaltake spin Q vt CPU cooler already runs on the old 810. And looks nice.

People at work know that in week 25/26 I tinker with my pc. The old parts are all spoken for in second hand builds, and keeps the cost to a manageable level.

SLI is for Nvidea. Crossfire is for AMD.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I bought my last computer in 2006 and have no need whatsoever to upgrade it.

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If it does what you want it to do there is no reason to upgrade.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] By the time I get round to thinking "Maybe I should upgrade" it's generally cheaper to buy a new system :lol:

16. Merlanni

Media:
    So replaced the processor after bios update, placed a second MSI 8650 OC Cyclone(passed the basic powercolor 6850 to a friend) and started the pc.

Somehow it just did not work. It just did not.. had to re-install windows, and choice to format the drive first. The amount of time to get all the settings and drivers to your liking.

And of-course Witcher 2 refused to install properly until the fourth time.

Well as said before, 0 hours of work left in June, so when it rains, I know what to do.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 11 seconds later... ----------

I am curious, cpu-z your pc so we know, an can be owed by your restraint.

17. Splunge

Media:
    Same here. For example, I've had the PC that I'm replacing for something like 7+ years; the only thing I've done to it is increase the RAM form 0.5GB to 1.5GB. I have held on to every PC I've had for at least 3 years; replacements just seem to make more sense.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I'm terribly sorry, but could you rephrase that?

19. Merlanni

Media:
    CPU-Z is a small program that analyses your hardware so you can tell us what you have and we can congratulate you with your restraint from upgrading.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.