1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Dale - 3D or 2D?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Kuldaharian, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] what do u prefer 3d icewind just like warcraft 3/neverwinter or just old 2d format???..

[ January 30, 2003, 19:27: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2D Easily. Look how crap Neverwinter Nights is. Even if it's not the Infinity Engine, i'd still like it to be 2D.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

This has been brought up before, but mostly in whatnots.

If they had used the Dungeon Siege engine (whatever it is), I think IwD2 would have done very well with it.

And it would have been even nicer if they would have made the camera where it was completely independent. Where you could move it all over the area map, even to parts that were yet unexplored. You could still make it 2d; just zoom out the camera straight overhead.

Everyone has problems with the cameras in the dungeons, though. Popping out of walls, and where creatures are. I think if they did something like The Sims, and make a hot key that reduces the "walls" to outlines, so you could see your enemies, it might actually work out one of these days.

I like the 2d. It could have been 3d. Just not the NwN engine. For the Love of all that is Good and Holy, not the NwN engine.

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ah yes, now that I think about it, IWD on the Dungeon Siege engine would be great.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

2D all the way. Though I'm a bit biased by not having a 3d card :)

I've played 3d games though, and I've never liked any of the engines. Not even DungeonSiege's. 2D usually looks better anyway if you ask me.

6. Gaius Gems: 4/31

2D! I have yet to see a 3D game that looks half-way decent (on the PC). Now, 3D avatars with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds would be good (and that's what they're doing with Jefferson and Lionheart) so as to allow more avatar customisation.
    I can't stand 3D backgrounds though, they look terrible. Pre-rendered is the only way to go.

7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ok, have you ever played games such as Morrowind, Black & White, or even Unreal Tournament 2003? They're all 3D games and look pretty damn nice to me.
    I agree that Infinity Engines and pre-rendered backrounds look great, but if you have a decent 3D Card, with a fast computer, 3D games can look stunning.

8. Gaius Gems: 4/31

I haven't played Morrowind as every review I've read pointed to a game I wouldn't like so I never bothered. Unreal is a FPS which I hate, and I missed Black And White. Any good? Aside from graphics that is..
    From what I've observed, 3D is great for FPS games, but since I don't like them I never consider them when discussing 3D, but I agree there are some nice looking games in that genre.
    But for isometric games, 3D just doesn't work. Warcraft 3 and Dungeon Siege, for example, did nothing for me (game-wise or graphics-wise). Animations and avatars look fine, but backgrounds look terrible, like bad cartoons.

9. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just think of all the luxury interiers in Bg1 and 2. And all the nice towns. Never (in next few years) can polygons look so GOOD... (Imagine Ust Natha in 3D - horrible thought... maybe I should study architecture :)

[ January 30, 2003, 18:51: Message edited by: ArrynMorgerim ]

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I've messed around with jedi knight 2 a little bit.

There's this one part where you're inside some massive asteroid. There's a ship that's nearly as big as a star destroyer in it.

And when you get up on one of the walkways WAY up there, and look down from it, it gives you the willies.

The willies, as defined by webster, is "Where you're looking down from some really outlandish height, and your anal sphincter instinctly clinches up, and you feel the sudden need to urinate because your bladder also clinched up."

Then, turn on god mode, and jump off that walkway.

Oh yeah; the Icewind would seriously rock with a good 3d engine. Sides of cliffs, elven walkways between castle towers, and dwarven bridges over bottomless pits.

But, they don't have the time it would take to do it justice.

11. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

PC games as PC games they are will feature PC games features.

i understand that a 2D game can be fasinating as well but hey, if you can settle for 2D instead of 3D, why not settle for 1D (text) plus your imagination, wouldn't that be something?

PC games nowadays are constantly challenging the performance of a PC. If not that there were needs to play smoother Quake, fancier Unreal, why would you think people come out with GeForce? For industries and science studies? They already sent people to moon during the 60's, why do they still need GeForce to model space ship?

Graphic, sound effect and music are, after all, parts of a PC game.

Let's look it another way, you have tried many 3D games and they look crappy, base on that knowledge, you concluded that Black Isle's 3D engine will be crappy also? Come on, give them a chance.

[ January 31, 2003, 04:38: Message edited by: teekc ]

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'd go 2d all the way...

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well, I'd rather play safe and have a goodlooking engine, than take a chance and end up with a FUBAR engine :D

14. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] ill go with 2-d....3d games is for consoles games(ps2 xbox)...2-d is best for pc!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.