1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ice Storm (Evocation)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Praetor Munir, May 29, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well in dthe spell-description there's nothing said about a change to freeze the enemy, only that you do 2d8 damage in 30 ft. radius... and four rounds 2d8 damage if yo ustay in that area. I knew the wond of frost had such a freeze-ability but is it also on the ice-storm? What indeed makes the spell powerful is almost nobody has protection from cold.

2. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't remember any enemy thas has protection from fire or lightning either or casts those spells.

3. Sarin Voltei Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Are you sure about the freezing thing? I mean, if you cast the spell and it happens to kill a baddy, then the baddy will freeze and explode (?)

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well there are enemies with that prtoection or immunity but you don't see that, they just receive less damage, dependent on how much protection you got.

I can remember something about foorzen characters, at least in BG1, if Icestorm does that too I don't know but i go home now and I'll check it. In BG1 it was indeed sso with the wand of frost, the enemy exploded in many ice-pieces and he couldn't be resurrected then. But I thought that was only whem killed by the spell and not when killed by sword/bow during the spell duration.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The freezing part happens from time to time if the enemies Hp gets below 0

6. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

NObleman... are u sure it only happens when it touches 0? coz my enemies have frozen a few seconds after i cast the spell...

what makes this powerful actually is that.. there are NO saving throws and few have protection from cold... as for protection from fire... those elementals do.. and what bout dwarves.. and drows.. they have high MC but they'll still succumb to this spell...

7. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

May the Dragons forgive my double post, but id i didnt, I would have had to create a new topic...

here's a bit of trivia about this spell.. no NPC has ever used this spell... the only one to use it is none other than Joneleth.. aka Jon Irenicus and he uses it after you free Ellesime from her cage... now.. isn't it amazing... how such a powerful sorcerer uses such a low level spell? I think this spell is misplaced in its level... it should be level 6 or 7...

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

umm, couldn't you just have added that onto your post before it?

9. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

in the first game the first level spell chill touch froze the guy if you hit em. Is chill touch in the second game?

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

There was a director(minor beholder thingy) in Firkraags lairs that used it as well, and it was pretty low level, so I thik it's ok, that it is where it is.

11. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The silver dragon uses it too. And your party members can get damaged by it too and your opponent can walk out of it too so you will usually get in 2 hits or so with it unless you stall the enemy with party members which would also get damaged so its not that good.

12. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

well i cant add it to my previous post coz that post was made a day earlier! anyway..

i didnt fight the Silver Dragon coz fighting one with a m/c thief fighter mage who has an exp cap aint easy..

the director in fiekraags lair? are u talking bout the mage that stands near fiekraag in his lair? coz i killed him before he could talk.. meaning.. while he was still neutral...

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Lord Praetor, Director is maze chief there (note: you point yourself as a Director in Modron Maze, guess in which game).

In BG2 Maze Director is Beholder.

14. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

Extremist... do u mean the maze that some NPC has a key to? I think i remember the maze but I dont remember the Beholder.. the only Beholders i remember talking to is that EGOISTIC one in Sahuagin City....

as for that other question.. no.. i have no idea what ur talking about

15. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The ice storm spell scroll is sold at the shadow thief guildhall.

But why bother with this spell anyway?
    Man! It's useless, fireball be mutch better! :D

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

SPOILER:

The Extremist IS right. It is in King Stroms (forgetting a name again) Chambers. It it impossible to avoid AFAIK since it is on the way to the "invisible guardian"

Fireball isn't better against creatures with fireresistance. The nice thing about Icestorm is that few creatures have resistances Vs. Ice. Thats basicly it.

17. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

Tin Man.. it is better for several reasons..

few have resistence to cold..
    it has a bigger field of damage i think..
    and it lasts for 4 turns... much longer than fireball

18. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Unfortunately, there is one enormous group of creatures that is immune from ice storms and that is the undead. The undead is immune to all cold attacks. Sigh, no ice storming on vampies and liches....

19. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I meant, that fireball is a quick damage spell. I agree, that ice storm deals a better field damage, but it lasts for four rounds, so everyone in sight is receiving that damage(even party members). Even so creatures can leave the area suffering almost no damage. Also, the damage doesn't improve when levelling up.

It could have been a good tactical spell, but firestorm(priest lvl 7) is so mutch better for the damage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.