1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Arabwel, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    i felt like making this thread, seeing as my sister woke me at 1.30 AM this morning to ask me if NY Rangers of Florida Panthers has more FInnish playeras. (Didn't know the answwer...) So, I started to wonder. I knoe there are hockey enthusiasts here, buut how about ice hockey?

Me, I am a fan, All FInns are. (/end Stupid Generalization) I support my local team (They'll win thwe championship this year. of that, I am sure.... Go Kärpät!) and when ity comes to the NHL, well... I used to favor Anaheim and Montreal, but nowadays I don't really have a favourite across the pond. I think It's the Canadiens...

I've never played ice hockey, wwe always played ice bandy (is that the word for the ballgame?) at school... I sucked. Majorly. But I still like going to the games every now and then, and I have been known to somettimes even spend my Sunday afternoopn watching a game on the TV...

Yep, I like ice hjockey. What about you?

/end rant mode

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Icehockey is pathetic :p It's violent, cold, and icey. Nothing compared with proper hockey.

Although, it is the only game I still play on NS64 or any consol for that matter, so that puts it up a place or two in my mind.

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm Canadian, and I think that theres a law or something that says I have to like ice hockey. Of course, since I live so close to Toronto, I like the Toronto Maple Leafs best. Unfortunately, I can't skate all too well, so I don't play. I did, however, play a nice game of tape hockey on Tuesday. My religion class was on a retreat, a huge waste of time, and it was way too cold to do the nature walk, so we grabbed a roll of tape, and used it to play hockey with some chairs as the nets. We won 5-3.

Oh yeah, the Florida Panthers have two Finnish players, Olli Jokinen and Niklas Hagman, whereas the NY Rangers only have one, Jussi Markkanen.

4. Arabwel

Media:
    I'll be sure to make a HUGE sign of that and bash my sister on the head with it when I see her. *grumble* Thanks to her, I've been awake since 1.30 AM...

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Like Reepnorp this a DNA question I just like Hockey, unfortunatly Montréal for the pass what? 9-10 years had just plain sucked! :( But Their is to many team anyway, I mean some new teams are just plain joke... I think Saku Koivu from Montréal is Finish but I'm not sure.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well we have the Tilburg Trappers! :eek:

Never heard of them? :(

Didn't think so ;)

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Warning - old person ranting:

Hockey has gone downhill in the last 20 or so years. With more teams in the NHL, there needs to be more players to fill the rosters. As a result, players are in the league now who wouldn't have been good enough to even make the minor leagues in the "old days". So now, rather than focusing on skating, passing, shooting and stickhandling, the game has degenerated into a clutch-and-grab fest. Boring as hell.

/End rant

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I live in Calgary presently. I lived in Edmonton during the 80s. So as you can guess,I've maintained my fanatical loyalty to the Oilers since then.

The Oilers, absolutely the greatest team ever, IMHO. They were so exciting to watch. But nowadays, as Splunge makes clear, hockey just isn't worth watching anymore.

Incidentally, two Finns who were part of the Oilers' core number among the greatest players ever: Jari Kurri and Esa Tikkanen.

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I live just outside of Edmonton so I've been exposed to hockey since I was a wee tyke. I was invited to a WHL tryout.

I've played hockey for 13 years now, and I've watched even longer. Except I hate watching the NHL now days for the reasons explain by the two previous posts, it just sucks.

I'll watch the Jr.s anyday though.

And Ice hockey is the only hockey that counts, other than street hockey or floor hockey. Now of this grass hockey stuff, it's not even the same.

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@Ofelix - IIRC correctly, Saku Koivu is a Canadian,but his father were Finnish. Not too sure though.

11. Arabwel

Media:
    Nope, Saku Koivu is a Finn, born and bred. He played in the Turun Palloseura (TPS) Before he went to NHL, and was part of the famous "Dewey, Huey, Louie" chain that was one of the main reasons we got the championship in 1995.

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm another one of those Canadians that haven't played ice hockey before, but enjoy watching it and enjoy playing floor hockey.

But I've never watch any European hockey league games before, just NHL and maybe a bit of international stuff when time comes. Although I am interested to see the difference, but too bad none are broadcasted here.

13. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Yeah. Does anybody know what network would carry European hockey?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.