1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I thought trolls was supposed to be nasty...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by raptor, Oct 24, 2006.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah well I was looking forward to say hello to my old friends in Dragons Eye, and get them back for my last game etc. Having stocked up with some fire potions i was getting ready slaughter trolls. Imagine my suprise when this happens:

http://www.omf2097.com/grimlock/pub/troll1.jpg
    http://www.omf2097.com/grimlock/pub/troll2.jpg

No regeneration ? about half the times i kill a troll, it just dies from a normal arrow or bullet, no need to aply fire to kill them.

Just curious if anyone else have experienced this kinda bugs ? it certainlly is weird, it seems that at mostly random they die without fire. I have noticed that most of the times this happen is when i hit a troll down to almost dead, in adition with hitting woth 1-2 more missles from the other party members, might be it dies before it reaches the "crying for mommy and regenerating" modus where it lies on the ground dunno.

Also happens alot in Web spells ! >=OD

running fullinstalled game with heart of winter and trial of the luremaster, version 1.42 naturally. aplied Ease of use (all save happy dualclassing), and then the pseudo 3E mod (all save the silly Über XP tables).

It does make the game a merciful bit easier! much needed atm, playing at insane, and with all monsters benefiting from the new 3E style stat tables im getting slaughtered in close combat ...

Group is:

Maurice's Stealth Team Commandos (*snickers*)

Jergal: NG, halfelf, ranger/cleric (mace + sling)
    Darktan: NG, halfelf, fighter/thief (sword + bow)
    Malicia: NG, halfelf, thief/mage (bow, not even bothered giving her a close combat weapon)

The idea with the team was a stealth team, its alot of fun on forexample the Temple of the forgotten gods, i sneaked past all but the priest in the enterance (had to silence him before he warned more) and examined the inner chamber where the heartstone gem was without anyone even knowing i was there. Then i assassinated my way back out again.

Also, i dunno if its the 3E stats or if Insane difficulty become much more difficult in 1.42 (only really palyed 1.41 before) but i have absolutelly no chance whatsoever to stay in close combat with anything or anyone. my ranger/cleric (with 18 in strength, dexterity, and constitution with plate mail and shield (best i found thus far)) gets mowed down by a single troll in aprox 5 secconds of close combat. The challenge is certainlly fun, but im getting VERY dependent upon web, entangle and grease spells...

2. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Won't any kind of immobilization/stun effect cause trolls to die without regeneration? Chromatic Orb or a "hammering" weapon can result in the same outcome.

[ January 30, 2007, 04:49: Message edited by: Otis ]

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Immobilized trolls always die directly when they are down to 0 HP, it seems to be implemented in the game this way. Just be happy that it saves you a boring spell or item use. :D
    Insane difficulty doesn't really change the monsters' power, it just makes them do double damage. Sometimes it effects the number of appearing monsters, like the wailing virgins on Burial Isle.

It must be your 3E mod which changes this. An 18 str monster would get +1 thac0/+3 damage in 2E but +4/+4 in 3E for example.
    But maybe you just had bad luck. A round lasts 7 seconds so your troll can't have hit more than twice in 5 seconds.

In a normal games you usually don't experience how hard those trolls can hit since they are shot before they get close.

4. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Only recentlly i started focusing on more spellcasting in such early levels of the game, so that can explain why i never noticed! Thanks alot, and yes, it is nice :)

That is what i thought, i just wanted ot ask for safety. It also spawns 3-4 ogres in prologue instead of 1. yay!

That is what i figured (str 18 gives +1 hit and +2dmg btw in 2E! not counting exeptional strength). And i run on max speed (frame rate 60), so that means it gets near two rounds to hit me :-/

So in other words i have picked a nice bag of fun, since the new strength bonuses get aplied before doubling from insane, easilly netting me 4-8 more damage per hit against me. For some bisare reason this makes the game more fun for me! Loving the challenge ;) ... well i was until i met the spiders in Dragons eye though, they are immune to web spell... meaning i have to rely alot upon entangle and grease so they wont gobble down my team in 15 secconds.

From a quick look in Infinity Explorer, i can see that most orcs have a strength of 16, giving them a meagre +1 dmg in 2E but a nasty +3 hit and +3 dmg with the 3E tables :) no wonder i had troubles!

Uhm, pardon me for posting so long posts!

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Frost giants and other physically strong monsters will hit less hard on the other hand. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.