1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I should know these things...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Zaylae, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Zaylae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hello, I am not really knew at Baldur's Gate (I) but I have failed to discover the reason for writing magic in one's spellbook. What does it do? Also, what is the purpose for the Undead and Bard's Song buttons?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, you've been missing out on some important stuff! :)

Writing magic into the spellbook allows your mage/bard to memorize that spell for casting. If you always cast the spell from the scroll, you could eventually run out of scrolls since they are consumed in the casting. In Icewind Dale this is especially important because there weren't many scrolls to begin with.

The Turn Undead button is to direct a cleric to attempt to "turn" any nearby undead. The cleric cannot do anything else but walk while trying to turn the undead. If successful, the undead will temporarily run away from the cleric. At higher levels the cleric can actually destroy (or control if evil) an undead monster.

The Bard's Song button is similar to the Turn Undead button. The bard will play a Bard Song which gives the party certain bonuses. The bard cannot do anything else but move while playing. I am least familiar with this since I never had a Bard...

3. Seric Exz Guest

The bard song gives +1 bonuses to attack rolls and saving throws (for everyone in the party). (davycop clarified this in the "favorite class" thread)

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You have to admit, the raise dead spell is cool for the cleric!

5. Zaylae Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Ok. I copied two spells into my mage book, but I can't cast them! Sometimes the scroll disapears and sometimes it doesn't (even though I have successfully copied them). The spell casting icon is dark. What am I doing wrong?

P.S thanx for answers about bard song and undead

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    On the right side page are the spells you can memorize. On the left are the memorization slots. You choose which spells to memorize by placing them in your memorization slots. They are unavailable until you rest to memorize them...

This is in your spellbook, just like the Cleric spells on your priest scroll...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 17, 2001).]

7. Zaylae Gems: 2/31

Is the icon for the memorized spell supposed to look almost transparent? I did what you said and then there was a magic-y sound. Then I rested. Maybe my game is messed up, but nothing is happening.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Once you rested, the memorized spells should no longer be transparent and you should be able to cast them...

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There are certain conditions that will prevent you from casting spells, such as being silenced. But the most likely one here is that you can't cast wizard type spells if you are wearing any kind of armour (even leather) or helmet (clerics can wear armour but its a different type of magic). So check that your wizard is not wearing armour and check the spell book again. Good luck.

PS a small point (which you've probably tried) - you don't actually cast spells directly from the wizard book screen. You have to be in the normal view and then press the 'cast spell' button (it's a sort of moon with stars symbol, bottom middle of the screen). This will then show a list of the spells you have memorised ready to cast.

PPS another even smaller point - one spell is different from all of the others - 'identify'. This does show as grayed out because you 'cast' it from the inventory screen. If you right click on an iten in your inventory, that is magical and hasn't been identified, you get a small menu which gives you the choice of using a spell or scroll to idetify it. That is were you would cast the identify spell.
    Sorry, hope this is not overcomplicating things.

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

or you can just say Fuc* it and equip your wizard with a staff or dagger or sling and just fight like any decent fellow would!

11. Zaylae Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Got it! Thank you all very much. The resting part is sure a pain in the ass, tasloi keeping waking me up....

12. Zaylae Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Oh yeah, one more question (last one, I promise): How important is it to have Xzar and Montoran in my party? I know there's a sub-plot of some sort in Baldur's Gate which they are involved in. But I don't really like either of them.

13. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

just use them to help you get to Khalid and Jaheira. Then dump them or let enemies kill them off.

14. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Or you could let the four of them bicker and fight until they actually brawl in the streets. That is awalys fun. They aren't that important unless you really want to do their subplot. If you are playing a good aligned character, I'd just leave them in Beregost after you have picked up Khalid and Jahiera at the Arm. Hmm "stuff"...*snicker, snicker*

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sub - plot? I just got a bloke in a shop talking about them spying on you for the Zhentarim - how much have I missed?

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Maybe sub storyline, I really don't know. I'm just going on what I have been told. Sorry to confuse.

17. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

There isn't a Xzar&Montaron-subplot. I guess someone has read the novel and is mixing it with the game.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh but there is... I haven't seen it myself, but I distinctly remember an old operator from the glory days of #baldursgate telling me about it. It happens in BG city though, any just about everyone throws those two out way before that.

19. Zaylae Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] So...is there one with Khalid and Jaheria?

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Another last question? ;) Doesn't matter, this is THE place to ask questions, we like it, how more question, the better it is :)

There isn't a subquest with Jaheira or Khalid, they were just friends of Gorion and that's why they wanna help you and they are strong characters who will help you whatever happens. Take them in the party, they will even come back in BG2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.