1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I really do like this game!

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Z-Layrex, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Just got PoR2 and although i'd played the demo before i wasn't very immpressed. Still i bought the game and finding it to be actualy quite brilliant. Exept for the whole, constant misses in combat thing. I'm finding the story a bit hard to grab though. From what i understand a pool of radiance has formed under New phlan. It's beggining is in the ruined Elven and Dwarf city of Myth Drannor though...so a party ges there while your adventurers fight undead in New Phlan. After your party gets to the pool of radiance under phlan (this is all in the video) the other adventurers open a portal in myth drannor and scream for help through it. So your party jumps throuh and battle their attackers, but they are already dead. so the whole point of the game is to find out who opened the pool, where it's other entrance is... and how to stop it again... am i right... can anyone explain if i'm missing a point here?...

[ September 02, 2002, 18:57: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I didn't understand the story myself. But don't you worry about that, the game is ment to be hack&slash only turnbased Diablo - no story and only a few quests.

And I don't like it. Why? Because I can't add that drow priestess to my team! She rocks!

3. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] play on and soon enough you will join us on the other side

4. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

i LOVE POR for these reasons:
    Great char interaction
    Hundreds of quest
    non-linear game play
    fun combat
    Yeah right :D

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Z, you got it exactly right. Though I didn't play the game myself, I read the PoR novel so I know the whole story. ;)

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Ok, thanks tal.

7. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] NO ONE LIKES THIS GAME!

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] Well, if you read the title it's obvious that at least one person does :p ;)

9. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] MR Z:

Read the thread down this one that goes "Why does it suck?".

Maybe it should be reknown as CRAP of Radiance: RUINS YOUR PC and Myth Drannor.

P.S.:

I MEAN; C'MON MAN! Your former portrait looked so cool! Why did you change to this drunk short-sighted ill-tempered mercenary wannabe? And holy as a Paladin... MAN! You're cool I tell you (I even read all your posts :p ) BUT HOLY!... LORD! Give me a break! You and holy mix just as well as water and oil. You're irreverent, acid, cool, talkative and creative... BUT HOLY!... NO!!

Do us all a favor and change yourself back to where you belong man!

[You know, there's this amazing thing called Private Messaging on these boards. It's so amazing it was made just for cases like these, when you want to tell someone here something totally irrelevant to the post or forum they're posting in. So in the future, use either PM or e-mail for personal comments to someone.] -Tal

[ September 05, 2002, 11:44: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] :lol: Well i thank you for speakng your opinion, (about both things)

Firstly, i really do enjoy playing this game. I have had no problems with it crashing or anything, i find the story interesting if a little baffling at first. The combat is very slow yes but i can live with that. I still think it is the poorest out of all the D&D CRPGs, but still not an awful game, just how i feel.

And about my portrait. I just didn't like the look of the guy on it. He looked like some model boy shoved into some leather and given a dagger. I just felt like a change, that's all. Thanks for asking anyway. ;)

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Z, your insane, on both accounts.

12. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG]
    Damn right!

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] *cough* *cough*

*glower*

Shall I change the thread into poll called:
    "Z insane or not?"

:toofar:

14. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This game is not that bad :rolleyes: , but I played the original on my apple][gs way back when I was 16 or 17 so I was curious about RoMD. Let me tell ya, I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than PoR RoMD. Heck I still load up the original now and again just for kicks.

I know (from what I've read in this forum) that the faults of PoR RoMD have been covered here before. But hey what the heck I need to vent...

I beat it once and the buck stops there. I'm never going through that again. So much for replay value. I'd rather live in a city that doesn't sell/serve beer on Sundays than go through RoMD again :xx: .

I can't believe how often my characters missed their targets while I sat back and watched my party get beat on, slaughtered and destroyed by lowly skeletons....thank the almighty for 'turn undead' because that's the only skill that got me through the game. And the Orogs!! Maybe it's just me, but Orogs never missed, and I barley landed a blow upon them. I'd say fighting Orogs was the most frustrating part of the game for me.

Talk about a dungeon romp. Wow! The dungeons just went on and on. Seems like I was in the same dungeon the whole time, they all looked alike. That goes for fighting the same monsters over and over again. Seemed like I was brawling with the same monsters the entire game. Damn boring!

The few aspects I did enjoy are as follows; I've heard talk of two or more hour installs. Didn't have that problem. Took me maybe 45 minutes to an hour. RoMD installed quicker than BG1 for me, and I'm using a 4 year old generic CD RoM drive. RoMD crashed on me twice, from beginning to end. I'm Running Win98 (not 2nd edition) 96 megs of RAM and fairly low end processor. The final aspect I liked was the turned based combat. But that even seemed off. Fallout was turn based, and at least in that game, my character and NPCs actually got a chance to attack now and again. That wasn't the case in RoMD.

Thats quite a collection of Pros vs. Cons if you ask me. Oh well I could probably go on, but I won't, so end rant here!

[ September 07, 2002, 14:48: Message edited by: Thorongil ]

15. Skates77 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hey guys i just got this game a couple of days a ago i dont kno what some of u guys r talking about how do u say this game sucks this is 1 of the most challenging games i have been and u can play multiplayer with it why do u guys hate it so much

16. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Skates, don't use slang, i can barley understand that post and it is against the rules.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Skates, your as insane as Z. You are insane enough to beleive this game is good, how I pity you

18. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] If you thought this game is good...

Try Descent to Undermontain.
    :p :p :p

19. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The only challenging part about PoR is the waiting. There's just too much of it.

20. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Mollusken:

Well then; you can try an alternate type of hypnosis with the boring music...

You can try to improve your frustration control by standing idle at the game while you install it and time your progress as you wait more and more through sheer mind-control techniques and will power alone.

You can even tell your grandchildren a scary bed-time stoy about it.

You can invent curses in the course of desperation that follows your meditation while staring.

You can set a Guiness record for: "The longest time a smart person does something dumb" while you configure it.

You can do many things with it...

The ONLY thing you can and never will have is fun.

[EDIT] Well Ext... We all know Z is a maniac and an insane one! (just look at the "new look")... but we all love him anyway! :D [EDIT]

[ September 10, 2002, 01:39: Message edited by: Shadowhunter ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.