1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need legal/tax advice...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Prepare yourself for a story of how much of a desperate and gullible moron I am... :rolleyes:

So, this past February The ex and I filed our tax returns as married/filing jointly (because we were married for all of 2009). Now, I used TurboTax to file...if that means anything. As I entered my info, TurboTax's refund calculator said I was getting ~$4000 as a refund. When I entered the ex's info, that refund dropped to <$2000 for federal, and we ended up owing $375-ish to state. So I did what any sane man would do, and dropped my name off. She would have owed state and federal several thousand dollars. Seeing that, she breaks down crying. (note: at this point in our divorce, she was still feeding me false hope and lies (and being desperate, I believed them)). So after a lot of sighing, and internal kicking of my own arse, I agreed to file jointly. Once we got the money back, she wanted $400 of it....which, being a desperate moron, I gave her.

Now, I just found out that the reason that my return was so high was because I graduated from college in 2009. Also, since she is getting married this month, I want the money that I deserve, and I want her to wallow in debt. :evil:

So, my question is: is there any way to go back and start the tax return process all over as if it never happened (so I can file separately)?

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The simple answer is you cannot. After the due date of a return you cannot change from married filing joint to married filing seperate. Time to chaulk the $400 to experience and move on.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The other fact you're missing is the taxes you will owe as a married couple will be basically the same. Most courts count the taxes owed by a married couple to be to be owed by both (the Federal government sees it that way as well) -- no matter who actually withheld what.

So if your ex really wanted to push, you would owe her another $400 (she should have received half the total return). Count yourself lucky she had a moron for an attorney and that she didn't understand all the implications of tax codes. Face it, you also owed half of her debt to the government that's part of being married.

You certainly didn't get shafted in the deal -- you even took your ex for a $400 ride. Let it go.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Also count yourself lucky (or smart) that you've got her figured now.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't know much about tax codes, but I largely agree with T2's assessment. If you were married for all of 2009, then any refund/owe would be mutually shared. So if you were getting back a net of around $1500, I agree that she could have asked you to split it 50-50.

On a related note, if you were married throughout 2009, and she is getting re-married about half-way through 2010, I can see why there would be some. erm... ill-will between the two of you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.