1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I know it sounds stupid...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Dragu&Barud, May 30, 2003.

1. Dragu&Barud Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I Barud have never seen BG1.Is it cool game?Dragu told me that this game wasn`t bad but he told me that the arrows were homig and that sound stupid to me.Can you rate that game for me?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, you're going to get some biased opinions on this, as most people who go to this site love the game.

The best thing I can say is at the time BGI came out, I thought that it was the best CRPG I had ever played. As the Infinity Engine (which runs the game) was modified and improved over the years, later games that came out were better. Included in that list would be Icewind Dale, Torment, and BGII.

I have played the game many times through, and I really didn't stop playing until BGII came out. I have never experienced anything like "homing arrows". I have had many people use arrows (fired both by and at my party) and they miss quite regularly, especially at lower levels.

So the game gets my recommendation. It's story line is excellent, the game is massive (I'm not sure how many hours, but certainly there are over 100 total hours of game time if you do everything), and there is something to be said for starting out with level one characters. However, do not expect to see the same level of quality that you see in other games like the ones I listed above, because this is the first one using the Infinity Engine.

3. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I also recommend the game. Especially if you haven't played more recent Infinity games and if you don't care about 640x480 resolution and 2D graphic. Which you shuldn't - never judge a game only by its graphics.

Homing arrows? Well, in FPS games a hit with a weapon depends on your aim. If you target well, you will hit.
    In Baldur's Gate a hit depends on your character's skills. If a game calculates that a character will hit with that partticular shot, the arrow will go towards the enemy and hurt him. And if the enemy moves, the player gets the impression that the arrow changed its direction.

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'd definitely recommend buying it. It might look a little dated when you first start playing it, but after a while you won't even notice the 2D graphics and 640 screen resolution. It's a truly amazing game that I'll still be playing long after NWN 15 has sunk from sight...

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I can´t agree with Icewind Dale and Planescape - Torment being better, but they are really nice games. In my mind there are only one game that is better than Baldurs Gate and that is Baldurs Gate II. But ofcourse, I think you have to be in to the whole RPG thing to like it. If you´re a 1st person shooter fan this game might not be for you. But you cant say nay until you´ve tried it. Kinda the other way around for me with Counter-Strike =)

The game is really cheap now since it´s been 5 years or so. So buy the game, or borrow, and try it out"

6. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31

Be ready to be addicted. If you haven't played any of the other games mentioned, be prepared to face a plotline like nothing any game of that time could match up with. It is involving, hilarious at times thanks to characters you meet and join with, and it captures the joy and experience of pen and paper DND as well as any computer game could.

I love it and highly recommend it.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Myself, I played BG2 before I even heard of BG1, so when I first got it it took about a year or so to get into. But after that it's great!!! defenitly worth buying. :thumb:

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you are going to play BG 2, then try this first; it gives more depth to the sequel. But if you hate dumb Al, love to have your characters stuck and whipped because of it; STAY AWAY.

As to the graphics, put it to 'windowed' -mode and it actually looks pretty decend.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What I really miss in BG2 was all those trips to Ulcaster, Firewine bridge, seashores, forrests, Basilisk populated wastelands, Cloudpeaks hills... and ... Baldur's Gate

(tears in eyes, overwhelmed with nostalgy, can't write more)

11. Gaius Gems: 4/31

Baldur's Gate with the Tales Of The Sword Coast expansion is a fantastic game. I like it a lot more than BG2 as well. The story is very good, it's nicely balanced (no super powerful items or spells, for example, and no innundation of archmages and demi-liches, either) and the game map is huge and so there's plenty of exploration.
    The greatest flaw with the game is inventory management, as there are no gem bags, scroll cases or bags of holding. So it's all to common to have your packs fill up very quickly (eventually you just start taking only the really useful things and leaving the rest behind). Some of the interface aspects are weak as well, particularly with a couple of multi-classes like the Cleric/Thief and Mage/Thief, in that they only have 1 weapon slot (and the game unpauses in single-player mode when you go into inventory), so that's awkward.
    But overall, BG/TOTSC is a superb game, and well worth playing. It holds up very well today, and I never find it feels dated.

12. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What's wrong with the graphics? They are great. You wince at 640x480 because your screens are ludicrously large. On my 15", it's perfect (I play BG 2 in 640X480 too, else I can't read anything).

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This is the best game of all time. If you don't get it you do not know what true gaming bliss is. Get it. Now.

14. Volsung Gems: 14/31

I tend to agree with you, guys. Baldur's Gate is the best game. But by the aspect of technical issues it's not my best choice. Still, IT ROCKS.

15. Dragu&Barud Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] But what about the homing arrows?That still sounds stupid to me...

16. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The only 'arrows' that home are magical ones that will home in on your target. Other spell projectiles such as chromatic orb and magic missile also home in on their target. With boots of speed and haste, you can actually outrun some of the slower spells! :D

I got BG1 and TotSC right when they came out. The story is fantastic and the game is enjoyable simply for that aspect. If you try BG1 first, BG2 will impress you tremendously, especially how powerful your character can become. Makes me laugh how my level 8 fighter ruled the BG1 world . . . :p

Edited to add: The only other instance I can think of physical arrows homing is if you are playing unpatched BG1. One of the early patches doubled projectile speed, and it's been that way through the entire BG series. I think you could actually move enough in unpatched BG1 to make missiles turn in flight towards you, but it's still no guarantee of a hit.

17. Bang Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have to do my comments on this one, also. I really love this game. There are only two ones better (BG 2 and Deus Ex). When I played it my first time through, I became addicted to it, completely. Slept 2 or 3 hours a day, didn't have time even to eat. I lost 8 kilos, truely!

18. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

So basically Barud, what Draku told you isn't exactly right, as a couple of people here have explained, there are homing missiles, but they are sort of special, all other arrows are normal non-homing missiles :)

19. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Baldur's Gate is a great game, even better then BG2 in some ways (eg: all those normal houses with commoners you can slaughter :evil: ). So I would also recommend you buy it.

On the other hand, some missiles does seem to home in. Like those Skeletons at High Hedge throwing...throwing knifes.

20. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Ofcourse they home in. The attackroll succeeded.
    Do you realize how easy the game would be if you could just take a step sideways and avoid the missile. They hit you, if you move the arrow eill still hit you. Gotta be lika that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.