1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I hate holidays.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by outputrotation, May 11, 2003.

1. outputrotation Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I hate holidays. I hate how we are obligated to give people stupid crap on these 'special' days. And if you don't give them something that is either a) is expensive or b) takes up a ton of thought and time, they don't think you love them. I mean, even if you are going to do this, you should do it on your own terms instead of being coerced into it.

Just think if we didn't have mother's day and you really cared about your mother and wanted to show her so you surprized her on some random day and did a whole bunch of nice things for her. Now wouldn't that be 10 times better?

People should do things because they want to, not because they are expected to.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Being raised by my grandmother, and now living in the same street as my mother, mothersday is always extra expensive for me. But you can't put a price on what mothers have done when you were still crapping in your diapers. So, a nice present on mothersday is the least we can do.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, I don't want presents on my birthday either.

(And in all honesty, I usually refuse them. Just because I don't like people wasting money on me.)

[ May 11, 2003, 22:54: Message edited by: Oaz ]

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Admittedly, it would be nice if we were nicer to everyone all the time, but I like the idea that our society picks certain days to celebrate certain segments of society as a society. I know that in the most negative sense it's just another cash cow for the greeting card industry, but more positively speaking it says that as a society, we appreciate the contribution mothers make.

5. Alloas From Hawai Banned

Why can you people say that you hate holday?
    I love holiday most of the times, you have finally time to do something for yourself.
    Normally you have that too, but than you have an whole day.
    When you have no homework.
    I have almost my final exam and after that I have more time to go on the internet, and of course play on my computer.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Sorry, outputrotation, but that sounds like the guilt-ridden cop-out of someone who didn't get to the card store on time and couldn't get a brunch reservation.

I'll grant you that "Hallmark holidays" - the crap invented just to sell cards and flowers - are totally bogus, but there is a multi-decade history in this country of special days to honor parents. Plenty of people need to be reminded about the special things their parents do. Consider it a sign of your good upbringing that you don't, and go give your folks some extra hugs.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Mothers/Fathers Day etc. arn't about buying your parents persent but saying thanks. The persents and cards and stuff are just a big comercal (spelling?) thing so they can make more money. Mothers day and Fathers day are about saying thanks to your parents for, well being your parents.

8. Alloas From Hawai Banned

Ruler this is a topic for people talking about holiday, not about father/mother Day.
    St*pid! :grr:

[Leave the moderating to the moderators, and keep your personal attacks to yourself - BTA]

[ May 13, 2003, 23:50: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

9. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] If you haven't noticed, outputrotation mentioned Mother's Day and so did many others.

Watch your language! :mad: :toofar:

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actually holiday is a day free of work, not just your summer holidays. What's more if you had read the topic carefully you would have noticed it's much more about such free days then the summer holidays, which you would certainly have noticed if you had read the opening post. I also don't suppose that the word's etymology would interest you, but it's quite obvious anyway and explains just about all :rolleyes: And yes, that was rather stupid of you.

[ May 13, 2003, 21:44: Message edited by: chevalier ]

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Many people, including outputrotation in the opening post mentioned mothers so i was just repling to that. Mothers days can be counted as a holiday. More of a holiday that school holidays can.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.