1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I got the new ToEE dual slipcase set for 5E

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by WickedPrince, Apr 22, 2023.

1. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I found the new ToEE for 5E dual slipcase on Amazon for $52 so I nabbed it. It just arrived. I need to dig into it. I have the ancient 1E module and the Troika game, I was considering hybriding those and the Return to ToEE module (at least some of the concepts like Tharizdun being the main big baddy - temple priests running around with fiery-eye cloaks is totally him.)

D&D the last few years has been doing a lot with dead gods trying to resurrect themselves in various ways and Tharizdun using the ToEE to gain divine power to fully awaken himself makes sense to me. Not going to play to the idea of Tharizdun = Sargarest/Morgath and the Destroy it All philosophy. That never felt right for Morgoth or Sauron to me. Morgoth just wanted control, Sauron just wanted Morgoth back. Anyways my theory would be that Tharizdun is trying to create a new pantheon with himself as king, Zugtmoy as queen, and the four Elemental Evils as his ally/servants. In the hopes of establishing a real pantheon that can conflict with the others. Perhaps bring in a few of the other Primordials that survived the Dawn War as additional members of the pantheon. Not to destroy everything but to usurp control over everything they can - as they failed to do last time. I'm considering making some of the monster deities like Gruumsh and Kurtulmak and Vaprak be surviving Primordials that made the transition to gods via their mortal worshipers. Most of this won't be very impactful of the campaign, it will be background info. I could even sidestep the temple for a bit with an Against the Giants run using them as additional minions of the temple wreaking havoc while the temple gains strength. A premise of the original temple was them using their monster minions to coerce locals to switch to the temple; and bringing in clans of giants feels like a solid addon idea. I'll have to find out if I can find that 3.5 Against the Giants module. Mythically the Drow manipulating the giants is a bit backwards; in Old Norse the Dark Elves swore allegiance to the giants because Odin and company murdered the eldest giant to craft Midgard and Asgard from his corpse. The Drow weren't the rulers, they were the servants. I'm also imagining having Shadowfel Fomori and such as allies of the cult. It would allow me to step-aside from the long temple slog to investigate other involved forces.

Sound interesting? Or am I biting off more than I can chew?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.