1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I finished the Battle Square

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by General Ghoul, Jul 7, 2005.

1. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] On the fifth time through this game (Once solo) I have finished all ten levels of the battle square. Early levels with a barbarian2/druid9-10. Raging, shapechanged or with Fang (bastard sword+2, + acid damage). Later levels with DG monk1/cleric1/rogue1/ranger1/illusionist6: high AC duel wielding mace of disruption and Moonblade (he did some damage) with plenty of cleric 13's animate dead. Several reloads. Could never beat Elder earth elementals, but the demons fell quickly or were disrupted. Cold Bones were plentiful on my side, never could hit anything, but provided enough of a meat shield for the other undead and myself to finish off the monsters. Can't believe ramorahs were high level monster, I killed the in 1 0r 2 rounds.
    Never could get through it before. played 3 times through with 6 member party, so char levels were lower than my current 4 man party. Solo guy couldn't summon anything good as Pal3/Ftr4/Soc21. Took to many hits to survive. But the DG almost never got hit. Yeah, some of the monsters lasted the time limit, but once I got in a rhythm with full buffs and 6 hidden summons, the room was doable. The execution eyes sword will come in handy in the next chapters.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good on ya! Well done for having the skills (and patience) to get through it all.

3. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Nice work Ghoul! Or should I say "Mr. General" now...? :) I have to agree with Harbourboy, you must have had a lot of patience going through them...!!

But tell me something, every time I summoned a creature ("animate undead"), the golem came in and took him away... You're talking about 6 hidden summons! How do you cast them without having the golem taking them away from you?

And one other thing, are the rewards worth the trouble...?

4. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31

Summon animate dead several times, or the druid spell with the bear symbol (I forget the name), anything that lasts longer than monster summoning*. Buff everyone with bless or recitation. Iron skin, cat's grace, bull's str, etc on the contestant. Then I tuck the summons in the top right hand corner. The rest of the party stands near the Golem while the contestant pulls the lever. As long as the contestant stays between the Golem and the monster AND the summons stay on the back side of the monster, the Golem leaves them in the room. Even picking the next square, I would leave the summons where they left off, near the center square, since my guy would teleport back to his beginning spot near the Golem, the monster would target one of the summons, leaving my guy to come from from behind for sneak attack ;) . Only problem I ever had was slow zombies path finding taking them behind me to find a space to attack. The Golem would port those zombies out of the room. Or if a demon's fear zone got through my SR and I ran around the room. The Golem would follow me and see my help and port them out. I really didn't reload alot, only on those Elder Eart Elementals. They would save against my Disruption on a 2!
    After each round, when my team would port back in, I would fill in any losses or rest to get more spells back. Rebuff and go again. Several nights worth of play, but the Mace and the Executioner Eyes sword were worth it. Plus all those rare gems I sold to the merchant that was swallowed by the Ramorrah for about 350K.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Heck! I just got my Barbarian Stoneskined and Improved Invisible’d and bashed their brains out. Even if they could target him, they would miss due to concealment. That gnome Zack will cast those spells on you for a price.
    Also I did not give Nathiel his bag of holding so I always had access to cheap healing. Does anyone ever give him his ring of ram, I never have.

Those Elder Earth Elementals are a PITA. They have too many HP to be killed normally and their saves are ridiculous. Everyone else can be killed in time.

As far as the rewards go: +3 reflex saves belt, +6 electrical resistance boots, +4 spear, +5 throwing axe of shocking burst, club of disruption (undead and other world creatures save or die), wand of animate dead summoning, brilliant short sword (ignores armor and shield AC). And also a potion which gives drinker 2 Wis points in exchange for 1 Dex point.

6. Shayleigh Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i tried luring the elder earth elementals into the center room and blasting them with lightning bolts from the machine. it works about half the time.

7. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31

Veteran

So, does somebody has a tactic to (effectively) kill the Elder Earth Elementals?

8. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I used a monk. With a little bit of luck I've killed EEE but it was not easy and my character had 3HP at the end of the battle.

9. AzathothXy Gems: 3/31

Get the Lucerne Hammer of Disruption from the Black Raven Monastary. Use it until you win the mace of disruption.

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I think he ment fighting EEE in battle square and this is BEFORE Black Raven Monastary. And so it is impossible to get (without cheating) the Lucerne Hammer of Disruption (unless it comes from random drop)

11. AzathothXy Gems: 3/31

Until you leave the underdark(by going through the mind flayer lair) you can always go back to Battle squares.

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Don't you need to go through all the squares to advance to next chapter?

13. AzathothXy Gems: 3/31

No. You get the key to Oria's chamber for completing level one. You don't have to do the whole thing at one time. You can come back until you leave the underdark.

14. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I can remeber now. This battle square was one of those things that made me mad.
    But when you're in Underdark I don't see a point to return to BS.

EDIT: New gem :) But it's Tchazar :mad: :(

15. AzathothXy Gems: 3/31

I generally go get the LUcerne Hammer, then go back to BS.

16. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31

EEE saves against disruption on a 2. So only natural 1 will dismiss him. Believe me I tried with mace, hasted, bless, aided, prayered. I can hit em, but only 5% chance he doesn't save. He had damage reduction against everything. MM works, but you'd need a thousand of them. Even the Mummy lord and drown dead did very little damage against him.

17. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I don't see anyone using Disintegrate or Finger of Death... EEE's saving throws too high?

18. steel-soul Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have also finished all of battle square. After: dying at least once, restarting at least one of the higher ranks twice, losing to those damned Elder Elementals ("earth wind and fire") at least once per round, and finishing with almost no HP. I was using a ranger with protections and potions up the yin-yang(iron skin, heroism, stormgiant strength, luck) even with all that I was very lucky to survive some battles. Who knew that Rhemorazes can do so much damage. I agree, trying to disrupt an elemental is an almost lost cause.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.