1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I fear for my country with who is running for President

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 2, 2016.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I may sound melodramatic, but just like two years ago, I dislike who apparently is going to be the two candidates.
    Donald Trump I see as a corporate fat cat who would probably cater to the needs of Big Business rather than the unwashed masses. As somebody who has had a lower class income his entire adult life despite being college educated, I don't see him looking out for my best interests, but only of the rich elite. Regan proved supply side economics don't trickle down to the lower classes when I was a toddler and a little boy.

Hillary Clinton is married to Bill Clinton, they are something of a packaged deal. The man lied under oath, and was in some ways more of an embarrassment than the second Bush was. I'm not sure I want to put them back in the White House.
    That said, Bill did turn the economy around, and IIRC was the ONLY president to reduce the national debt since WWII. I've been struggling to get a "real" permanent job instead of temp since 2007, excluding part-time work that was technically permanent to make ends meet. As far as I'm concerned, the recession is more of a depression. If it comes between Trump and Hillary, I'm going with her, but on Tuesday I'm going to try to pick another option.

The big question is, should I declare Republican to try to get Trump off the ballot, or Democrat to get Hillary off the ballot? None of the other candidates really struck me as somebody I'd like for President. In the two Democratic debates I watched, the other Democrats struck me as doofuses chosen to prop up Hillary. In the multiple Republican debates, I really didn't care for anybody there. The best one I liked was John Kasich, but that wasn't saying much.
    I honestly don't know who I want to vote for in either party for President.

Should I make my decision based on the other offices up for election since I can't decide on the presidential candidates? I do have some choices for the other offices, but I like some Republicans and some Democrats. In the past, I usually either figure out if there is one candidate I really need to get on the ballot, or if it is a gubernatorial election (I honestly can't recall ever voting in an odd numbered year, and don't recall seeing anything in the paper covering elections in those odd years) I go with whichever party has the most candidates I like and vote for them.
    Is that probably the best option in this case with the Presidential election?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree, it is quite the dilemma in the very literal sense of the word. The presidential candidates are a bad joke and having only two political parties is the dumbest thing ever.

You could always do what I do, which is not vote. Life is simpler when you don't concern yourself with things you have no control over.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I foolishly voted for Rubio yesterday. I watched a lot of the speeches last night and I can't believe I am going to say this, but I am throwing my support behind Trump now. The press conference he did last night swayed me. The OP posted the Trump is a "fat cat" and I don't think that is accurate. In this case he is actually more like Bernie Sanders. He hasn't been taking money and the fact that the GOP establishment clearly hates him are positives in my opinion. Like Sanders I like that he doesn't owe anyone any favors and isn't bought and paid for.

I consider Hillary a disaster waiting to happen.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    Meanwhile us Europeans are sitting here like [​IMG]

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I consider BOTH Trump and Hillary a disaster waiting to happen. Honestly, I'd rather have Bill again, all other things aside (and that covers A LOT), at least he did a decent job turning the economy around.

I believe Trump is the definition of a corporate fat cat. He's not taking money, true, but I also believe that he'll look out for the interest of Big Business and the rich, not the working stiffs with no money.
    He seems to value money and net worth.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you haven't seen it yet, Romney just savaged trump. Oh how I wish Romney had shown some balls like this when he was going against Obama.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm selfish and I want Trump to win, just so that we can have insanely heated debates in the Alleys again. :shake:

LKD, SlickRCBD and The Great Snook like this.
  8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oh wow, that would definitely increase the time dedicated to moderating . . .

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Truthfully, I wish Romney had run this time, I like him better than any of the other Republican candidates for President.

Oh, and Taluntain, I find your comment funny, but I have to be realistic.

10. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

When I first joined the Alleys were always the most recent topics on the boards. Good times.

I think Sanders is actually a bit more moderate than what the perception of him is and he really is a solid alternative to Hilary. I can't stand Hilary. Not only does she seem to emanate dishonesty, but her voting record reflects it too. A lot of non votes on big bills i would have loved to know her position on.

I think if it was Hilary vs. Trump (or Cruz), which is how it seems to be playing out, I would choose Trump.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I hate to do this strategic voting kind of thing, but which has a better chance of making a difference in keeping Trump and Hillary off the November ballot? Declaring Democrat and voting for Sanders or declaring Republican and voting for John Kasich?
    I'm not that impressed with Kasich, but he seemes the best of a bad lot. Honestly, I kinda wish Romney had run again, I liked him better than all of these Bozos combined even if I did not vote for him four years ago.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Trump is going to be tragic, and the GOP is squarely to blame for it. They are probably going to lose to Hillary as punishment for the idiocy. However, Hillary is going to be a worse nightmare, at least to me.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Worse than Trump chev? That seems a bit iffy to me.

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Definitely worse. Would you honestly rather see someone as disingenuous as Hillary in office?

15. dmc

Media:
    Keneth, are you really that unfamiliar with past American presidents? Disingenuous is, to me, far more preferable than ignorant buffoon.

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Trump has no real political acumen and his bullshit agendas are never gonna see the light of day, but it's not like he's an idiot. Obviously, both of these candidates are crap, but from my perspective, nothing good whatsoever can come from Shillary becoming president, whereas Trump might have some potential at least in the long run.

17. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Trump wouldn't be a total disaster. He's basically a moderate liberal with a few staunch conservative positions. Hilary just avoids taking stances on important issues so much and for so long that I have a hard time trusting that those are her real convictions.

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    She has no real convictions.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    With a little luck the fbi probe will result in a conviction.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

:shake:

The Great Snook likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.