1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hypothetical situation: Taiwan

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Midwinter, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just to throw a question and see who catches it...

Imagine that, in a year or so (or maybe not even that long), Taiwan declares its independence from China. China, hating this, invades. Taiwan, in desperation, calls to all democratic nations to help.

Now imagine that you're the leader of your country - what do you do?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends on how my country is impacted. Do I rely on Taiwan for trade? Do I rely on China for trade? What network of defence treaties are in place?

NZ exports loads of stuff to China so we'd be stuffed if we made enemies with them so we'd have to pretty careful about upsetting them. That's not a very politically correct answer but it's probably the one that I'd make (in the absence of any further information to swing the decision the other way).

This is one of the reasons why I am not a politician.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

US would most probably get involved on Taiwan's side. They have had a long history together.

NZ has a history of peacekeeping in small countries striving for independence. However, it has never been against a country as powerful as China. We have a free trade agreement with China under construction.

NZ wouldn't do a thing. China is too big, we have a trade agreement with China but we would morally be with Taiwan.

4. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I take the opportunity for some land-grabbing. :evil:

Or not. Too far away to be reasonably defensible. I let the conflict play out, and side with the winners.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nobody would side with Taiwan, not even the US. Since China started opening up, everyone's invested way too much into keeping good relations and trade agreements with them to make an enemy of them now. The only way Taiwan is going to get indepence is if China grants it to them (not likely), or if they can declare themselves independent and are able to support this with military force against China (even less likely).

6. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Nations are the coldest of monsters. Thats what some people say around here. They do not act because it would be the right thing to do. Righteousness has no place in international affairs. Well... at least most of the time.
    Nations act to defend their interests and for no other reason. Or they will not take action to defend their interests.

Europe is courting China and vice versa. We wish for favourable tradeagreements, afaik. China wants european high tech, especially of the military kind.
    The most we would do is complain. Nothing more.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Are you sure Tal? The US has shown it will get involved in other nations' affairs. The states has always been a bastard when it comes to trading agreements (at least with NZ its reputation for being anal-retentive is the best it gets).

Down here I can't see how the US would let China invade Taiwan.

What would the UN do?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    US gets involved in other nations' affairs when it knows there's no possibility of serious retaliation, or that if it happens, it'll happen far away from US soil. I believe China has made it clear that if anyone supports Taiwan's separatism, they'll consider it an act of war and respond accordingly. And the US will definitely not risk getting involved in something which could cost them so dearly. It's all about interests & benefits. The US would not profit enough in any aspect from supporting Taiwan against China, so they won't.

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

To answer the original question: that depends on my nation's military might.
    In case of Holland - nothing at all, as we'd be swatted as flies :D .
    And I'm with Tal here - there's (next to) nothing to gain and too much to lose for any nation to intervene.
    And the UN will hold meetings, file reports and generally tell China not to be so naughty, and file some more reports - nothing is going to happen.
    :borg:

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

This a complicated issue because Taiwan is not a member of the UN, since China has blocked all their efforts to join UN. Also, Taiwan has full diplomatic relationships with very few countries (no more than 30 IIRC) and the majority of them are from Central and South America and Africa, while USA, Canada and the most european countries have not recognized Taiwan as an independent state and therefore their influence on the international diplomatic stage is very limited.

BTW, I read a couple days ago that the chinese government made an agreement with Yahoo and Google in order not to produce hits, if somebody from China uses search terms as "Taiwan", "R.O.C." or "free Thibet"

11. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Taluntain is correct. The US would not intervene in Taiwan's favor - we face a possible military defeat if we try to support Taiwan's bid for independence. And we stand nothing to gain even if we win. It might create lingering hostility within China towards the US.

[ August 03, 2004, 05:19: Message edited by: Slith ]

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree that the U.N. will do absolutely nothing because:

A.) Taiwan is not a member of the U.N.

and far more importantly:

B.) China is a permanent member on the Security Council and therefore has veto power on any U.N. resolution.

So the U.N. is absolutely out of the question. There's no way to logically think that China would support action against itself.

That having been said, I disagree with:

There was next to nothing to gain for the U.S. going to war with Iraq. The oil arguement certianly doesn't fly. It's been what, 15 months since the invasion and today oil prices hit another all-time high. And there was a whole lot to lose in the form of the goodwill of the entire world. The answer of whether or not the U.S. would intervene will depend more on who is in power at the time - and the answer is "yes" if it's a Texas gunslinger.

13. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    really? the view of iraq is a long term thing, it is one thing to secure a source or oil, it is another thing to get it up and running. also. in the long term the US will save itself money on its decreased millitary presence in the area (once the region is 'secure'), it will save itself money from the export price of oil from iraq which saddam wanted a larger price then the US will pay the new government.

and bush finished his daddies war.

14. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The US has bases in Taiwan. China tells us to stop defending them, but we keep saying that we aren't, we just have bases there, so attack and you're screwed.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    GR brings up a good point. If China attacks U.S. bases in Tiawan, there now have been U.S. soldiers that have been attack in an act of war. It would be more than enough justification for a war with China.

China has a military, but it's navy is crap, and it's air force isn't much better.

Step 1: Set up several U.S. carriers off the coast of Taiwan, with concentric rings of support ships and subs surrounding them.

Step 2: Shoot down anything with planes or cruise missiles that attempts to cross the straight.

I don't doubt that China could invade and occupy Taiwan if they did so quickly. But they would NEVER be able to maintain a foothold on the island with no supplies coming in.

[ August 03, 2004, 20:18: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

16. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Interesting topic. I really dont think the U.S. worries that much about China invading Tiawan at the moment. I think the U.S. worries more about North Korea in that area and their releations with Japan. I would worry North Korea does something wrong in that area and strains releations with the U.S. and China if China sides with North Korea.

17. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree with DHB that the U.S. would probably be more concerned with North Korea simply due to the nuclear program and their forthright statements of saying that can and will use nukes if push comes to shove. I also agree that since the U.S. has invested so much money into China that while publicly they may condemn a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, unless personally threatened or attacked they may just stand on the side and wag their fingers while selling supplies and profiting. To my knowledge, and I in no way claim to be a fact finder. Didn't the U.S. did something like that during the Iran-Iraq conflict? Condemn the affair while selling arms to the combatants? If I am wrong I apologize, not trying to step on toes. :)

18. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Scream, sweat, curse, wake up and be relieved that it only was a nightmare.

If this would happen, a major war would break out, as for completly arbitrarily reasons, Tawain was made the border, no one is allowed to cross. As the crossing of that border would signify a shift in pacific dominance and major bloodshed. Luckily, that will not happen, as no one is eager to start a war that everyone will lose.

And if someone would ram Tawain at the bottom of the ocean, where in the nine hells would someone get a decent computer from ?

No. I disagree (not that you wouldn't have known anyway). That the oil-prices would rise was one of the with big certainties predicted outcomes of the war in short-term, as you surely remember from reading your newspaper at that time, where estimates of the degree of the rise in oil prices where all the hype. Of course, your goverment was told that the oil price would rise as their war would create instability, insecurity and a little bit of terrorism in the region the oil hails from. The shrugged it off, worth the cost. In the long term, whose planes are guarding the oil-fields ?

Incidentally, I remember a nasty major power that was eager to conquer itself some Royal Dutch and British Petroleum. And since the Suez-Crisis sends huge star-destroyer sized tankers around the world to fuel it's huge economy. That power isn't nasty anymore, but the neighbouring country is some sizes bigger and starts to develop a huge hunger for oil. Incidentally, the best wars are those, where planes won't fly, ships won't leave the harbour and tanks won't roll because there's nothing to fill their motors up with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.