1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hypothetical idea of past-lives, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Lokken, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] A few months ago I saw this episode of a regression session. Basicly the patient is taken to the memories of a past life, and recites what he sees, smells, his name, family names, city names.

The hypothetical aspect in this, is we say all that was in the show is true. Ok, so this chick gets to go to poland and find a disturbing lot of accurate data in a city she's never set foot in, at least not physically.

What disturbed me the most about the show, was not the accuracy of the data with which she could identify and awesome lot from the city searching the library for exact matches. But the way she was caught up in it.
    She specifically stated "I don't want to go home."
    I was.. shocked. She was in some aspect, throwing away her current life to live an old one.

Maybe some of you have read the Dune novels? But from the statement I couldn't help thinking on the similarities on how the other-memories could possess you.

Would you explore an old life if you could? (one that you didn't know you had)
    or abandon it to pursue your current path?

This is a hypothetical question, so let's leave out all the talk of whether it's real or not, and take it for being real.

2. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Hmmm. I don't know.

I guess one's reaction and interpretation will be a result of their religious beliefs.

Budists, Scientologists and Hindus believe in past-lives, so they may interpret the "session" as proof of their faiths.

Christians, Muslims and Jews will probably not have a positive view of the "session".

3. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

No, living in the past denies the experience of the moment. Besides after so long there's probably nothing left to go back to.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Through the travail of ages
    admist the pomp and toil of war,
    have I fought and stove and perished
    countless times among the stars.

And yet, as through a looking glass
    and darkly, the age old strife I see.
    Where I fought in many guises, many names,
    but always me.

5. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hmmm interesting thought. I'd have to say no. Too much chance you'll find out you were an axe murderer or something of the like.

I'd rather imagine I was some princess, then face the reality. Some things I think we are just not supposed to know. If there is an afterlife, previous life, reincarnation, we will find out soon enough anyhow.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

well that's the thing, you might never find out without going to such a regression session.

7. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Interesting.

One must asusme that he is finished with that life, and must focus on the new.

But, memories from a past life can be of great assistance, there is little point in learning the same thing twice.

So, if we have these memories, we have them for a reason. We must ask ourselves if that reason is to learn from or past experiences, or to let go of our past and move forward, or something else entirely. It may be another the lesson is intended for.

In other words, it depends on the situation.

As interested as I am in my past lives, I am hesitant to seek them out. I am told that dying is a very unpleasant experience, especially when re-lived the scond time while still alive.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I would love to know about my past... but I would not want to live it again... like he said, to live in the past is to deny the present.

9. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think it would be pretty fun to try it.

Then again, I might find out that all my previous "Incarnations" were evil, and I'm doomed to fight in the Blood War. Or maybe not. :p

10. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting,
    The soul that rises with us, our life's star,
    hath elsewhere had its setting,
    And cometh from afar." Wordsworth

http://quizme.stvlive.com/pastlife/quiz.php

It says I was a rich exterminator in a previous life.
    Must be why I hate spiders so much!

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I checked the above link. Having two names I use I put them in individual and then together.
    1) B Movie star
    2) Actor
    3) Master Juggler

My present life is all I want to deal with.

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Woot! I was a shy lion tamer. :D

13. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Wow, how sophisticated that link is... ;)

I am always a Rodeo Clown, the adjective changes from

-spellbinding
    -mighty
    -educated

The only thing that changed from past to present is that I am no Rodeo Clown anymore. As far as the adjectives are concerned, however, ... :D

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    From a Christian standpoint, there is no reincarnation. However, it isn't altogether impossible to communicate with the dead. It's also possible to be possessed by spirits.

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I'd write a history book if the past life was of someone important. Might as well gain some benefit from it.

I'd tap into the experiences but not the personality or beliefs of that person, to me that would be mentally raping myself.

16. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't know what I was in a past life.

But since im here again and not in Nirvana or someplace I can assume that either it sucked or I was very evil.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Perhaps I'm not as mush a Christian in the religious sense as I thought then. Or maybe I'm just doing what we all should do and holding my own beliefs.

Anyway, I think it would certainly be of value to investigate, as there may be lessons that I'm supposed to learn in this life which I'm having trouble learning now but had laready learnt in a previous life. So while I wouldn't want to LIVE a past life rather than the current one, even with all the sh*t I'm struggling with now, I';d certainly like to journey back in some fashion to see. It may just be a very profound thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.