1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Human Empathy

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Nobleman, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] First of all, there is no conclusion in this thread. No discussions put here on purpose, really. I just need to get it out of my system.

This thread was supposed to about public death penalties in Texas and Florida. I couldn't quite put a finger on what I didn't like about it, but it gave me a grundge. Perhaps the cheering, perhaps cause it looked like a sports event. Though they are criminals, who have committed cruel acts and deserve what they get.

So while I sat there pondering, I watched a documentary about the invasion of Africa in the late 19th century, and suddenly all my thoughts about one man being brought to death in public or in private seemed so insignificant. I usually don't mind watching documentaries about wars and other dark chapters of human history, but this documentary made me really sad. I came into the documentary when a British general was just defeated in Zululand. They were obviously in there for land and riches. He survived with a few men and returned to England. He got a second chance to invade Zululand and this time they brought a Gatling gun. They attacked and slaughtered all of the tribe warriors. Other countries followed with their own Gatling guns and invaded other parts of Africa.

Up to this point I wasn't touched emotionally by the documentary, but then the historians began. All they spoke of was how important the land was for financing the combustion engine and other scientific breakthroughs. Now that made me sad. Seeing old photos where white men in white clothes and big mustaches padding their Gatling gun and photos of hundreds of dead African warriors. And not only didn't they have any doubts or remorse they seemed to cheer and have no quarrels with claiming the land and its riches as their own. And what stunned me the most was that the old whitered historians, who were in the documentary, were no different. Not a single compassionate feeling. Only talk about engines and what benefits the land would give science. And even to top it all, how proud they seemed of the successfull invasions. I would have thought that times had changed. They made me sick.

I feel really bad about it. Of course I know that the world has seen many more cruel episodes, and that this is just a droplet in the ocean of bloodshed, but sometimes being reminded of the lack of compassion and empathy in mankind's quest for power and "justice" really smacks in the face.

I just had to get it out.

[ August 26, 2003, 01:22: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    [​IMG] That was really a moving piece Nobleman. I won't add anything more to what you have said, because anything more would pale beside it - in words and feeling.

3. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Empathy means that you understand the other person's feelings and motivations, not merely feeling sorry for them.

By saing off handedly that the criminals deserve what they get you are showing both a lack of empathy and the complete lack of caring which you accuse others of. You may be more caring than the historians on TV but you still have a long way to go so I would'nt complain if I were you.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Where did I imply that empathy only means caring. Are you having a bad day? And I also said that I was still pondering on my feelings towards public death sentences when I wrote this post. If you care to read my thread, thank you very much.

If you are instead enraged by the concept of public death sentences, I suggest you go make a thread about it with pros and cons and feelings, so I might learn something from your insight.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] One thing we've gotten very good at is killing one another. Does it really surprise you?

Most of the inventions that have had a huge impact on the advancement of civilization grew from making weapons to better kill other human beings.

As long as there are religions, nation states, tribes, communities, affiliations, there will be killing. You are grease for the wheel of time. Get used to it.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In the Nelson Mandela thread, LKD made reference to the disgraceful way in which North America treats its Aboriginal Indians. Nobleman’s post, and the references to Africa, run parallel to this. We steal their land, plop them on reserves, and expect them to be grateful. I sit on the board of directors of a shelter for homeless people, and guess who makes up 90% of our clientele? In Canada, the living conditions and suicide rates on many reserves are horrific; aboriginals can’t really follow their traditional ways, but the reserves aren’t set up to allow them to learn the “white man’s” ways either, so they’re basically left with nothing to do. When they decide to leave the reserves in an attempt to escape the nightmare, they come to the cities, can’t find work (partly because nobody wants to hire a “drunken Indian”, which is the stereotype), and end up on the street, no better off than when they were on the reserve. And even those who have managed to succeed despite the sometimes overwhelming odds against them still face prejudice.

You don’t have to look too far from home to find something to be ashamed of.

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Sir Bel wrote

No not really Bel, and it doesn't surprise me that you didn't bother to read my last phrase either.

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Nobleman - I didn't see your post until after I submitted mine. It just takes me 25 minutes to post...

9. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Check out my post in "Theories of Punishment" that's my opinion, thanks for asking.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.