1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HTTP://

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SleepleSS, Feb 23, 2005.

1. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Hi I had this question, normally when you go to a website and type, for example www.sorcerers.net your browser automatically places HTTP:// in front of it. Since like a week or 3 I have to type HTTP:// myself otherwise my browser (Internet explorer) can't find the pages. I didn't change anything in that period (Not that I know at least) and I was wondering how it came and if there is something you can do about it.

Please let me know!

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Virus? Adware in IE?

and the main point is:
    Lynx, oh wait you're from the GUI era, then it should be Firefox.

Edit:
    Then I guess I should my post more helpful huh?
    I had this problem before a few years ago, it was caused by a hidden toolbar nestling itself in my browser, I haven't heard the whole story, but I guess that IE skipped a piece of code that would verify the correctness of the URL you've given and modify it if needed, you could download the latest version of IE, although then there is the chance of the problem reappearing, as software on your machine just reinstalls the hidden toolbar.

So the answer is, do a virus/adware scan(use the beta of the Microsoft's anti-spyware tool, it's good, it beat Ad-aware on this comp), and for extra safety, use Firefox.

[ February 24, 2005, 00:10: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Very helpful. :rolleyes:

SleepleSS, IE should add http:// in front of urls by default... I can't see an option to turn it on anywhere. I've never heard of IE suddenly stopping doing it. Which version of IE do you have?

4. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

if you're using ie try resetting the browser-option (tools -> options -> programs)

if that doesn't help and you're not afraid of registry-diving look for the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete

and check if the values are enabled.

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

Alright reseting didn't help

I'm using IE 6.0

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    And you're sure you don't have a virus/ad-ware/spy-ware that may be causing it? I faintly remember having a similar problem on my dad's computer, but is was so minor, and we rarly used IE that I ignored it until I re-formated the HDD on that computer...that fixed it. ;) :p :rolling:

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

Well if my virus scanner is doing it's job it's not a virus. I've got two programs thad look for asware/spyware and they can't find a thing so...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.