1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make the game more interesting?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Harkle, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'd like to try something new... and with party. There are some classes (Bard and Druid) that I haven't played much with, so I could try them.

I've thought about not rerolling character abilities at all, just taking what I get. Would it make game more challenging in positive sense or just plainly boring? I've always rerolled for long time to get characters with 90+ points in abilities.

Some theme-based party could also work and offer good roleplaying possibilites.

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Actually role playing IWD is a bit difficult in the sense there isn't much interaction between NPC's. You could try a mage heavy party since those are the hardest classes to play IWD with.

Solo is a possibility or two three companions because there isn't much talking and more fighting.

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

How about these ideas?

The Holy Order
    ==============
    A group of Paladins and Clerics that were on a pilgrimage to see Jerrod's Stone, team up with Hrothgar(sp?) to save the Dale from evil. A very durable party who will probably overcome most fights thanks to their high AC and ability to heal. For melee lovers.

Nature Force
    ============
    A group of Rangers and Druids who were in pilgrimage to Kuldahar know of the Archdruid's troubles, and join the expedition to help him. This party's specialties are ranged combat, and disabling area spells.

For the Love of Money
    =====================
    An old band of rogues who were planning to retire to one of the Ten Towns know of the strange occurrences in the Dale. Considering the possibility of living a last adventure (not to mention to secure a better pension) they join the expedition. I would multiclass all of the rogues here, mixing Fighter-Thieves, a Cleric-Thief, a Mage-Thief. This party would use hit-and-run tactics mostly, with the ability to clear up a small band of monsters in one hit, thanks to their hide in shadows and backstabbing abilities.

For RP purposes, you can always make a bard to join any party under the idea that he/she is a local bard that knows the area and the local customs. S/he would act as a guide and interpreter. And you can always start with room for an extra character, and have a Druid (who could be the Arundel's apprentice) join the party in Kuldahar.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Bards get insanely powerful at level 11 when they get the War Chant of Sith. They also level up very quickly, and IIRC can cast up to level 8 mage spells just like in BG2.

I never tried a pure druid, but ran a dual-class Fighter/Druid, dualling to Druid at Fighter level 9. Druid spells are slightly different from the cleric ones, as they get more offensive stuff. This character was actually quite fun to play, and at high levels could buff herself to deal more damage than my pure fighter.

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

If you've got the expansion/s then going for a small party is tremendous fun. I've just started with a Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Druid and Fighter/Mage/Thief and it forces me to really use all the abilities of the characters rather than just pelt the wizards with missile weapons, thin out the crowds with an area effect spell and leave the rest to melee with the occasional party buff as I do with my 6 person party. All three are decent all rounders and level up nice and quickly in such a small party, allowing me to make full use of extensive multiclassing. I'm glad to have found an interesting and different way of playing the game, as IWD is, at least in terms of general atmosphere, my personal favourite of the Forgotten Realms Infinity Engine games. As much as I love the plot and characters of the Baldur's Gate games, IWD gives you a chance to simply load up a party of your choice and go treasure huntin'.

Sorry to go off topic, but this doesnt really warrant a thread of its own and is relevant in the small/mc party vein: Does Trials of the Luremaster get rid of the annoying single quick weapon slot for characters with both magic and thief classes? Even just two would be fine...

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Having a party consisting of only shorties can be interesting. Or all of the same race.
    Or one with magic coming from either arcane or devine sources, not both.

Bards IMO become incredibly useful due to their songs, but only if they are part of a fair sized party. In solos and duos a bard still is not powerful enough to be included.

Also single classes will soon become more of a pain than their dual- or multi- cousins. Which is why you may find few single-class charecters in most parties.
    If you think you can pull it off then take a party consisting of only single classed charecters.

Also starting off as a solo and adding a new member in every chapter of the original game, its a bit difficult to play.

Edit:
    Oh, and Will.
    Those weapon slots are hard coded.
    Neither of the expansions change them nor have any of our modders found a way around it.
    Yeah! they are a pain.

7. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Take a wizard/monk party through with default rolls. That should frustrate the hell out of ya.

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

This is IWD 1 we are talking about Tiberius.
    No monks or barbarians.
    No drow or halforcs.

9. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I know Shrikant, just thought it would be funny to actually see someone take that party if it was possible.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I had loads of fun RPing the inter-personal relations of my party on the side... And sort of acting out stuff in my chair.

This is fun, espescially if characters have conflicitng alingments.... :p

11. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hi all, new forumer here.

Well, anyways, don't know if it is interesting anymore to play solo, but since I just finished one, I can only say it is damn fun. And easy. I made a gnomish fighter/illusionist. Very powerful, once I got a hold on the Helm of the Trusted Defender and Haste spell :)
    At Dorn's, I started to feel like I was cheating, the game was so easy. With all buffs on, he had AC about -10 to -14, 12 Mirror Images (gotta love that Kontik's ring) and a few Stone Skins. I was virtually untouchable. The last areas were a walk in the park, Belhifet died almost before the battle really had a chance to begin at all.
    I'm sure all have soloed the game many times by now, so tell me, has anyone done it with a bard? That would seem to be quite hard...wonder would it be fun too. Well, I guess I whack through IWD 2 now solo. Monk/Sorcerer was fun, didn't even need summons, just blasting away...
    </brag> ;)

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wow.

Ok. So, "interesting" for me is:

1. Playing the original IwD v1.06.
    2. Dalekeeper edited stats to 18.
    3. A bunch of Healing potions.
    4. A bunch of regular arrows.

For you, I'd suggest a pair of good headphones and some ale. Maybe some scotch-wiskey; it's Icewindish...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.