1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make gmail emails archives in my HD

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ofelix, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    You might wonder, why I would want to do this. Well I thought it will be mighty awesome if I kept on a disc, flash drive, or whatever a none-online archives of all my emails for future references. Plus if discovered in a 100 years by some historian it would be of great interest to them too! Well I'll admit it's mainly for me. I'd like to see in ten years what was going in my daily life is all. So anyone knows how I could do it? I've a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP Compy if it's any help (I'm thinking maybe some software could do it). I've about two years worth of daily emails. Soooooo yeah that's a lot

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure Gmail has various mail download options, but why bother? Gmail is increasing the mail storage limit much faster than normal people can fill it up. You get over 5.5GB at this point already. You don't have to delete any of it and it's all always available on Gmail.

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You can enable POP in 'Settings'->'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' and then checking the "Enable POP for all mail" radio button. This will allow you to download all your mail for offline viewing using a client such as thunderbird or outlook. These clients usually store the emails in an archived form which can only be opened by such a client, so if you're backing them up for 10 years time you may want to save a copy of the installer for the client as well.

You can download the Gmail POP troubleshooter to streamline the process link

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Cool thanks Stu!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.