1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Eze, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You see, I have problems with my weight and my parents nag at me all the time so, does anybody know what to do to lose weight?

(Eze IS aware of that she sounds like an idiot)

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I can give you tips for losing weight, but in order to give you proper advice, I'm going to need a little more information.

Desired Weight: (also in kg)
    Length: (In Centimeters)
    Lifestyle: (Food, activities)
    Financial Picture: (ie, can you afford going to a gym, or will it be home based?)
    Goal: (Do you simply want to loose weight, or do you want to gain some muscle mass as well?)

If you could answer these, I'd be able to give you some good advice other than "go jogging" :grin:

3. Eze Gems: 24/31

Weight:57 kgs
    Desired Weight:53-54, less if okay
    Length:159,2 cm
    Lifestyle:Trying to eat healthy stuff, sometimes chocolate and other bad junk kicks in along with extra fat foods. Lifting weights a bit and walking too.
    Financial Picture:Erm. Home based. I just don't have time to go.
    Goal:To lose weight and gain some muscle mass as well, if possible.

Hope, that it helped.

:D

*trots off to exercise*

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well you can go biking to school instead of walking..

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, walking fast is probably better than biking, since it takes longer than the bike but still keeps your heart rate up.

Eze, I almost posted this last week also! I'd been liftign for years, but after my wife had a baby and my work got more stressful, the 5am workouts dropped off, while fast food picked up.

[ March 24, 2003, 17:44: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They are nagging for no reason at all Eze, you are perfectly normal weighing. No reason at all for you to lose weight, atleast not now in the age you are with hormones putting things both here and there. If you still want to lose weight in 5 years do it then but as you are not overweight at all there is no need. Your parents are full of it...

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Any serious exercise could harm your normal growth. The same applies to most diets. If you don't eat fatty food or sweets and do some modest degree of gymnastics you shouldn't have any problems with your weight. Perhaps climbing stairs instead of using elevators and lifts (that's what I do if I get 1-2 kg surplus ;) ), 30 minutes walk daily or other safe activities of this kind would be in order. Definitely not a gym.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

You're 12, which means that your maximum heartrate is 208 beats/minute. (rough estimate) To burn fat properly you can choose between two run trainings. For both a heartrate counter would be desirable. Because you mentioned your parents nagging you about it, perhaps you can convince them to chip in for it?

First of all, start out slow. As you train more, your condition will go up, and you'll be able to train harder. The schedules I put up here might be too much. Don't be afraid to set your goal a little lower for the beginning. (If you set it lower, adjust the times, not the intensity. The intensity is put so that you burn fat.)

1) One long period run, with a lower intensity. You should walk this at an intensity which brings your heartrate up to 80% of it's max. (in your case being about 160-165 beats/minute.) Run at such an intensity for a period of 30-40 minutes.

2) A higher intensity run, over a shorter time, but with 1-4 repeats. The intensity should be at 90%. (roughly 180-185 beats/minute) Run at such an intensity for a period of 10-15 minutes. Then take a 5 minute break, in which you walk at a normal pace. Repeat the 10-15 minutes at 90% for about 1-4 times.

A heartrate counter will be very handy for these trainings, as it is hard to get a feel of how fast your heart is beating while running ;)

Lifting weights at your age is a bad idea. It can hinder your growth, as said above. So if I were you, I'd concentrate on burning fat, instead of gaining musclemass.

Eating chocolate and junk food isn't necessarily bad. I'd suggest taking a break on it for your first three weeks of training. Once you see good progress with training, you can go back to eating it. (Note: with eating, I mean having it occasionally, not munching yourself full with it ;) ) I find it often better motivating if people can continue their normal habits (unless they seriously harm the trainingeffect with their habits) because else it will be a very radical change of lifestyle.

A tip: Find someone of a similar cardiovascular condition to run with you. This is much more motivating than to run alone.

Also, I forgot to ask of any special medical conditions. If you have any, contact your doctor to ask if that would go along with your training.

Edit: I threw this together in between school and dinner, so I'll check back later if everything I said actually makes sense ;) If you have any more questions, wishes or remarks, shoot. :D

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

how to lose weight
    - live the lifestyle of Ghandi. You lose weight at the same time you gain mental enlightenment. How nice.

10. Eze Gems: 24/31

Thanks. BTW, my dad has already chipped in for a heartrate counter.

:)

*trots off*

11. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Sigh, I feel like I'm the only kid in the world who has trouble -gaining- weight. Damn that high metabolism! Usual response from people is "Don't worry you'll fill out when you're 40" :)

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] I also wheigts too little. I am 1.66 and wheights only 47 KILOS! My g/f is 1.56 and wheights 45. I am extremely underwheghtied.(sp?)

And Eze, you don't wheights too much. Thats a absolutely normal wheight.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    woow people are thin, here we would call it anorexia :spin:

But, I am 1,92 and weigh about 80, seems good enough

14. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I also need to gain some weight and muscles...
    I am 161 cm tall (Yeah, I thought I was 162...)and weigh 48 kilos. Ugh, my new year vow is to gain weigh til I'm 50 kg. I have already been up in 49,7 once! :)
    And btw, my dad lost 40 kilos in 7 months!!!
    Of course he found out he had diabetes, high colesterol (sp?) and hyperglycaemia.
    (Yes, I checked the dictionary for that last word)

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I should be good at this one.

I've been to the gym for some time now and I can say that going to the gym 4 times a week, 2h per time will not get rid of any fat at all. Yes that's right, not a single gram of it. It all depends on how you train of course, I build bodymass with lifting max weights, and that doesn't really enhance your constitution. Unless you're going to pay for gym monthly and get yourself a trainingprogram designed for fatloss, then this is not really that viable an option.

Some say aerobic is good. Problem with aerobic as well is that it is not as simple as some think. Being somewhat complicated, it requires determination, trouble, and time. And money, again. Also, both gym and aerobic are mainly for shaping your body. So basically much of the time you spend there is spent on shaping instead of mere fat loss. Which means, you need to do quite much aerobic to get rid of quite much fat.

Two friends of mine have been using those heart-rate thingies for some months now. They've gained some results, but mainly all they can do is give a nice sum of figures that are supposed to mean something when in fact your own eyes can tell you that it is really not the case. I'm not saying those things are useless. I am, however, saying that they can consume money and trouble and easily give off too positive an image of your progress. That's because every person I know of so far has confused the "relatively highest fat consumption" with "actually highest". Walking with a heart-rate of 130 will get you a 50-60% fat consumption of all calories that you burn. Compared to jogging with a heart-rate of 160 that probably burns around 40% of the energy consumed from fat. But practically jogging still consumes so much more energy that when compared straight to this walking, you'll see that jogging actually burns several times the fat that walking does, in the same amount of time. Only, it is harder, of course.

The answer to all your troubles are therefore two things: Diet, and jogging.

If you give up one, then you'll have to be twice as good at the other. I prefer 2/3:rds jogging and 1/3:rd diet.

Ditch the candy, you don't need that. If you think you do, then just don't think about it and refuse to have any for about one week. If you've made it that far it's simple as heck to last for another week. And after that you're usually free of all candylust. Observe what you eat. It *is* worth it to pay for those fat-less cheeses, sausages, yoghurt, etc. With the right sort of food ingredients you can eat as much as you ever want with 90% of the same taste that was there before, and you'll get around 30% of the fat you used to from your food. After around 1-2 weeks, the 10% loss to the taste of the food will disappear (or actually, added as bonus) as you won't even like that fatty taste anymore.

As for jogging. Don't think about how fast you go. Don't think about how far you go. Neither of those have nothing to do with it ever, and I mean *ever*, in your life. All that matters is the time. Just jog peacefully for as long as it starts to feel that you really can't go any further. Then just slow down to the lightest little hopping-step pace you can imagine. Proceed as such until you feel you can put up more speed again. All that you need to know is that any motion that keeps you sweaty and gets the breath going and feels in your body... for the duration of 20 minutes will then start burning fat. So 30 minutes of light jogging a day will make 10 minutes worth of fat-loss. The amount of that varies depending on your weight and age and the level of the strain.

There's this funny thing with heart-rate, you see. I have a jogger as a friend who can jog at fairly high speeds with a stable heart-rate of 120 per minute. According to the most usual information, you need a heart-rate of 130 to get the optimized fat-loss. Another friend of mine (one who is definitely not fat) walks, getting his heart-rate up to 130 per minute. I, myself, started jogging just two years ago while getting out from the army. And in less than a month I dropped 6-8 kilos off my weight (I had around 10 kilos of overweight before it) by jogging 3-4 times a week, 1h per time. And not once did I go for speedrecords... only for the 1h after which I could quit. 40 minutes worth of burning fat is a big thing.

Sorry for the novel. I have 10 times more stuff to say about this but I dare say this is enough.

Edit:

As for those of you who wish to gain weight. There's no other way to do it than going to the gym and start building bodymass. That is, if you don't want to start eating like an animal for no reason and getting all sorts of diseases later in your life. Not overweight does not = low cholesterole. Then there's this thing with the gym. It does literally take years for you to get any real results. I started with 3 times per week, 1,5-2h per time. In 6 months all I could see was some little added shape to my arms and breast. My strength had about doubled, but outter appearance had scarcely changed other than to my own eyes for scanning myself in front of the bathroom mirror (desperate, eh? :rolleyes: ). So going to the gym for mass building is NOT something you just do. It's a way of life. If you aren't prepared for that, then forget it.

Otherwise, I can tell you that you who cannot gain weight are better off than us who just can't help gaining it. I have to live each day knowing that unless i suffer from hunger, there is just no way I can remain a normal weight person without moving like a stupid animal each and every day. I know that when I hit 40 and I don't feel like running again, I'll be a swollen fat-ass in less than 2 months. Now that is definitely not something you'd want as it really is a hindrance to your health and social life.

I envy people who can eat normally and don't have to worry about getting fat, I have one for roommate.

[ March 24, 2003, 20:42: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

16. Eze Gems: 24/31

Foradasthar:That is not a novel at all. You can shoot all stuff you have to say about it. LoL. I gave up the candy and didn't even eat the sweet thingy at school. YAY. And I only filled my plate once. YAY.

Go me.

LoL.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Eze, I'm no expert, but I do know that 57 kg isn't too much. That's 125.4 pounds (Canada is metric, I am Imperial!) For the first time in recorded history I agree with Joacqin -- you don't need to lose weight. Exercise away, that's great, but don't focus on your weight.

(I can rhyme, on a dime, anytime!)

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Depaara is right. In all my hunger ;) I completely forgot to check the weight/height/age chart. You're fine. I don't know who's been saying to you that you're fat, but from what I can see statistically, you are fine.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Mild weight training - more reps with lighter weight, as opposed to the body building technique of few reps with heavy weights - is good for young women because weight-bearing exercise helps strengthen the bones against the future possibility of osteoporosis. Just make sure you get enough calcium.

I agree with the gist of Foradasthar's message: the only way to lose weight is to burn off more calories than you consume over the course of each day. There are two ways to burn calories:
    1) Increase your basal metabolic rate so that your body simply burns more calories at rest.
    2) Exercise.

Where I separate from Foradasthar's approach is the JOGGING. I hate running. I only run when I'm being chased (and if he's cute, I slow down). I would much rather ride a bike, or do step aerobics, or disco dance, or play pickup volleyball/basketball/soccer etc...

You know your body best. Find an activity you like and stick with it, so it becomes part of your life. If you don't ENJOY your exercise, you won't do it.

As far as diet goes, I've found that I crave sweets and junk food much less if I can stay away from them for a week or two. The first few days are the hardest!

[ March 25, 2003, 03:39: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Eze, the first thing to do is just eat. Eat when you are hungry.

And excercise hard. Run, swim, you can bike (some; it doesn't work as many muscles as running or swimming).

If you do it correctly, sex can also work all the muscle groups.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.