1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to kill the Golems in the De'Arnise hold?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sir Ai Rayzor, May 1, 2003.

1. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] How do I kill the Golems in the De'Arnise hold?

Those treasures are looking too good to just leave them there ;)

I have tried with: Swords, Staffs, Spells, Arrows, (cant remember if I tried Bullets as well)

Anyone got some good advice on the killing of these beasts ???

[edit: I've got ToB installed, thats why I put the topic here.]

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Take them one after another. Dont take the treasure, rather attack one golem at a time while they're still neutral.

Or you could equip one of your guys with a boots of speed and take all the treasures and leave the rest of the party outside. Another character stands in front of the big golem. Then you first take the treasure(i think its a Elven bow +3) the big one is guarding. As he attacks you, take the other two treasures and run out of the room. The Big macho should be the first one behind you and block the exit.

Then you just shoot them down. I think you need +3 or better. You just got one ;) . Try Lilacor or any twohanded weapon as well as they have longer reach.
    Its better to shoot the little ones behind first as they can get through the door if you kill the big one.

IIRC one of them is a Clay golem - this one needs blunt weapons to kill.

3. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

If you have a priest or druid you can mearly cast Sanctuary on yourself, loot the treasure, and walk away.

Invisibility, Improved Invisibilty or whatnot would be just as effective.

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's easy if you have a good thief(assasin would be good).At first you have to take one item and you will see wich monsters will attack you.Now reload and set some traps on the ground near the monsters wich are getting hostile.... :evil:

5. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

Where can I find some weaponry that is actually +3?

I haven't got Lilacor yet and I still have +2 weapons (The Sword of Chaos, Staff Spear and some other things)

6. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Yup, I discovered the same recently and it was a walk in the park... true, the Iron Golem requires +3, I think and I wasn't able to take him out...

7. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

IIRC I wasnt able to hurt the "small" golems with +2..

Can this be true?

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well the treasure that awakens the big weirdo is Elven Court bow +3. If i recall correctly ;)

So thats +3. It should hurt him. You could beat him with a mage but you would have to sleep first to memorize proper spells, if you even have them in your spllbook.
    Lower resistance and greater malision.
    2 or 3 lower resistance drop his MR down and GM drops his saving throws. You can also add Doom (priest spell) to further penalize his saving throws.

And then just offensive with whatever you've got.

Also you could try Melf's minute meteors. I dont know if they can harm him but if they can he's as good as dead :)

+2 weapons should harm any little golem except clay if the weapon is not blunt. IIRC they're immune only to normal weapons.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Yup, that's right. They're only immune to normal weapons.
    But a bow +3 can't hurt the iron golem IIRC, then you will need some arrows +3. But you may use any "arrowless" bows +3, as they're counting as +3, that works for me...

10. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hack at the Iron Golem with +3 (or higher) weapons and then bash the living cr@p out of the rest with enchanted blunt weapons. Take them out one by one.

Don't use magic because it is completely redundant.

11. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Thanks everybody!
    For all the awsome advice - its really nice :)

Now I just need to find some Blunt weapons..

But where? :o :o :o

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You're in the keep, make the flail of ages. Bingo, instant +3 blunt weapon.

13. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Of course, you can find youself in situation where you have several +3 weapons but nobody can really use them...

I had FoA, Frostreaver axe and Lila, but nobody in my party had any profs in 2-handed swords, axes or flails... my melee fighters are PC monk, Valygar and Jahs.
    In the end I sent heavily buffed Valygar, double wielding FoA and Frostreaver against the iron Golem... Valygar was chunked in two hits... not a good solution.

And +3 bow does absolutely nuttin' to the iron dude, so ranged wpns are out...

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A quoted passage from Roman Gregoriav's "Sorcerer's Guide for Baldur's Gate II" :
    I tried this, and it works beautifully. If you time it right, you can set a bunch of skull traps, then cast Lower Resistance. Just as lower resistance is about to be cast, have someone try to pick the statue farthest from the golems. As soon as they awaken and turn hostile, lower resistance (spell trigger or contingency helps for multiple castings of this) will hit them, and as soon as they move, the skull traps all go off and pulvarize them. The only one left standing is usually the iron golem, and now that his resistances are lowered, feel free to pelt him with melee and magic missiles till he falls.

Another way I did it was to stand in the corner of the room just outside the golem room. Standing out of Cloudkill range, I had my dwarf sit there and pound him with the dwarven thrower. They can't get through the door, hence they can't fight back from this.

15. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Jurtz:

Not having proficiency in a weapon does not prevent you from using it, it just makes you use it at a slightly hindered rate. -1 to hit and damage isn't that big a disadvantage, so bash away with that flail of ages :)

16. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Err... as I said, in the end I gave Valygar FoA and Frostreaver, but before he could even land a hit on the golem, he was chunked to bits :(
    If you are going to kill that thing, better do it quickly...

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jaheira with Firetooth, or Korgan with the Dwarven Thrower can pelt the Iron Golem.

Truly, can any monster stand against Jaheira? (thump thump)

A character that can hide and has a +3 weapon can employ hit and run tactics. Hide, hit it, then run out of sight, repeat and repeat.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've heard tell that if you have the cloak of the sewers, you can have someone transform into the slime and block the doorway -- the slime is resistant to blunt damage, and your people can use some ranged weapons or spells to drop the golems. I've never tried this myself, so don't forget to save . . . .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.