1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to kill Firkraag

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Brightblade, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] i am now tring to get the holy avenger. I have a fairly low level party, but i am wondering how to best kill that dragon? I have : a lvl 9 calvier
    Viconia
    Jan
    Keldorn
    Minsc

should i get another person?

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The best way to kill Firkraag is by clicking the little button in the top right corner of this page that says, "search" and then type in "Firkraag" or "Red Dragon" in the little search field.

I guarantee it.

3. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Use all of the anti-dragon gear that you got previously in that dungeon. Whenever he uses his firebreath, make sure he has a summoned monster or animal targeted and your characters are out of the way, because it will usually kill your characters easily. Also, you can avoid him by getting out of sight to heal / cast chant, armor, ect.

[This message has been edited by War Nerve (edited November 18, 2001).]

4. Demonater351 Guest

Here's how I killed Firkraag:

Party:
    Launcelot (Cavalier) with Dragonslayer
    Minsc with Lilarcor
    Anomen with the Flail of the Ages
    Jaheira with Sling of Seeking
    Jan with Flasher Launcher
    Nalia with Tansheron's Bow

First, my Cavalier cast Remove Fear on the party. Then him, Minsc, and Anomen each drank a strength potion. Then Launcelot charged the dragon with Dragonslayer in hand, followed by the other guys. Nalia and Jan both cast Lower Resistance on the dragon, knocking his magic immunity down to about 60%. Jaheira cast Insect Plague, Jan cast Greater Malison, and Nalia cast another Lower Resistance spell, knocking the dragon's resistance down to 40%. About now, Firkraag was down to "Injured" status. Anomen stepped back from the fight and cast a Flame Strike spell and charged back in. Jaheira started going around healing wounds. Both Jan and Nalia each cast a Flame Arrow spell, then 2 Magic Missiles, bringing Firkraag to "Near Death" status. All was left was for the fighters to finish him off. In fact, I believe Minsc got credit for the kill.

I also used the above strategy for Thaxll-somethingorother, the Shadow Dragon, but since it was undead, I added in a couple of Holy Smite spells in the mix.

5. Leethal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey, Firkragg aint too hard, my undead hunter killed him by himself, hes lev 18 with flail of ages and dragon(skin?) shield....
    Potion of speed, potion of cloud giant strength and holy might did the job for me

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I killed him yeaterday! I was so proud until I started to regret how cheesily I did it...

Imoen with the Staff of the Magi behind him, throwing a lower resistance, and then Finger of Death, with my fighters causing a diversion in the front.

This is an extremely CHEESY way, so I don't recommend it, but I hust wanted to add my $.02

Ara
    (Oddball the Drahgonslayer...)

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

uhh... level 18 undead hunter? That's past the X-Cap of SoA... ToB?

8. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

If you have TOB installed then the new cap of 8m will apply. Hence, you can have a level 18 undead hunter in the SOA section of the game. At the end of my first game my party of six exited SOA with 3.8m xp a piece (apart from one notable exception :) )

My first party was about level 11 when I took on the Red dragon. I found him pretty easy. Just make sure you summon some creatures, then put on all of the available spell protections you have and don't forget resist fear and haste:). Giant strength potions for the fighters helps also. Put your summoned creatures at his front, fighters at his rear and mages way back at his sides.
    Talk to him to initiate the fight (I don't like hitting a blue ringed creature :) ) and then hit him with everything you have.
    Your mages should cast lower resistances, breaches etc and finally a few magic missiles at the end if required.

I have heard that lower resistancex3 plus greater malison and doom followed by feelemind works well too. A bit cheesy but this will be my tactic the second time through,

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

9. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Yeah I know, I have ToB, I was just wondering if that's why he was so strong

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Put some salt on his tail and he dies within a second ;)

Ah, just search for Firkraag on the boards. I'm gonna buy ToB today!

11. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Congratues. I just installed it but my party is still running through SoA I wanna be optimally prepared

12. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Brightblade: DON'T Kill Firkraag unless you have gotten the Paladin stronghold. I have been led to believe that killing Firkraag is the final quest of the Paladin stronghold. Of course, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

13. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hehe, He is the Optinal quest of the paladin stronghold. but, you can kill him early and the order is just amazed that you did it already and they give you the xp. The Final quest is keeping this girl safe. But anyway, I killed him with my now lvl 11 cavalier, not very hard really with jan and arie throwing 18 lightning bolts every round from their wands. I cast magic restance on him followed by two lower restance. then i can about eight dooms on him, so..... he was dead in about ten rounds. And the Holy avenger IS good. :)

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

Spoiler/Cheat

I just had Yoshimo set snares around him, then go in the dual class screen, click cancel, and you get your snares back!

I covered the entire area around him, then just had yoshimo shoot at him with his bow.

All of the snares went off as soon as he turned red, he died in about .05 seconds.

Hehe, I know it was cheap, but I wanted that sword!

I figured this out from Dan Simpsons walkthough, by the way.

15. Black Rose Guest

1- Traps from Yoshimo
    2- Jan summons his Djinni from Genie Flask and summons a Nishruu [fodder]
    3- Nishruu and Djinni flank Firkragg
    4- My Archer with 100+ fire resistance flanks the beast, with Dragonslayer firmly in hand

Battle started when the summoned beasties and my archer struck - Firkragg took a bunch of damage from Yoshimo's traps. I brought Valygar and Korgan in for cleanup when he was Near Death.

Pretty easy. My party was about level 10..

Note: Cone of Cold worked wonders on Firkragg.. about 50 to 60 total damage

16. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Setting traps is just about the cheapest tactics of the game....
    No offense meant.
    I used mainly magic to eliminate him.
    just cast a couple of lower resistances,
    and then feeblemind or finger or damage spells

17. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Let me get this straight, your thief has the ability to set traps, but using them is a cheap tactic? Hmmm, maybe the spells your mage casts is cheap too? Or uing a sword to strike a monster is not fair.

Ahhh, I understand, the mage should just beat the monster round the head with the scroll and not cast it at all. :D

Maybe the thief should throw the trap at the dragon :D

Maybe the fighter should pick his nose with the sword and throw the picks at the monster :D

The only slightly cheap thing about traps is setting them in full view of the monster concerned. In reality the dragon wouldn't just sit there, Of course this isn't reality its a CRPG. there aren't any real dragons. Or are there......

Of course if you cast improve visibility then there is no problem.

The talk about this is a cheap tactic and this is not is frankly very silly. ;)

Cheers,

WittyNewt

18. Black Rose Guest

WittyNewt:

I am in full agreement. Setting traps was Yoshimo's strongest ability, and I took advantage of it.. Improved Invis and the Cloak of Non-Detection quelled the fear of cheapness within me, because I knew that the dragon could not see me.

19. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Dragons can always see you, cloak or not, but I think setting a trap next to a npc should set it off, luring someone into it is what a bounty hunter does, I have no problem with that, but dragons aren't stupid.
    You can't honestly tell me that using a bug in the game or sleeping loadsa times and then setting enough traps say 100 to kill the dragon as soon as he turns hostile isn't lame?

20. Black Rose Guest

StressedE:

I did not use that tactic - I placed 6 traps around Firkragg, three normal, three special. No resting in between.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.