1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to figure out how much VRAM on a Windows ME system with GeForce4 mx440?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Dec 19, 2010.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was just given a bunch of old computers, and one of them is half the specs of my second newest working computer. However, it has a "NVIDIA GeForce4 GeForce4 MX 440" graphics card. This might be superior to the integrated video I've got in my Dell Optiplex GX110.

How do I figure it out? I had a hell of a time figuring out the specs of my Dell's video, and have largely forgotten how I did it.

I've searched on the web, and got the specs for the Geforce 4, but it says "up to 64mb". How do I figure out exactly how much it has? If it has 64mb, I'm definitely pulling it from this 500mhz, 120mb system and sticking it in my 1ghz system. Heck, I might be able to try Temple of Elemental Evil or Neverwinter Nights 1 on my older computer if I insert this card in it.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Not on a windows machine here, but try going to Start, execute and type "dxdiag". One of the tabs should state the number of video memory available.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, I tried it, and it does report 63.0mb of vRAM, close enough to 64.
    On the other hand, I tired it on my win98SE machine, and saw several disturbing things.
    One, it says DirectX version 4.09.00.0902
    I could have sworn I was using DirectX 8.1 or 9.

On the other hand, the WinME machine says it is using DirectX 9.0b and then in parenthesies it says (4.09.0000.0902).

The next disturbing thing is that it says I have 21.5mb of vRAM, I could have sworn I only had 8mb. 16 at best. I know Neverwinter Nights doesn't work on my system (at least this one), so it definitely has less than 32mb.

I guess this means it would be worth it to pull the video card and implant it in my Dell.

I can post the output from the dxdiag.txt file I saved if it would help.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

NWN runs fine with a GeForce 4 MX 440 graphics card. Well worth it.

I used to have that card long ago. Note, it doesn't support DirectX 8.

SlickRCBD likes this.
  5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If it doesn't support DirectX 8, what version should I use with Windows 98SE? 9.0c is right out.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

DirectX v4.09.00.0902 = DirectX 9.0b. The DirectX 9 runtime is backwards compatible so it should work fine by just installing the newest version. Also in dxdiag the total memory in the display panel includes any shared memory from the RAM as well, so the total is higher than what the card actually has.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    This is kinda going off-topic, but I accidentally clicked on "DirectX drivers" when trying to click the 'display" tab, and I see one with a caution tab.
    It is for "msjstick.drv", presumably for a joystick, which I've never used on the machine in question. DriectX says the driver is uncertified, how do I remove this potential malware?

Avast and spybot have come up negative when performing full scans, so maybe it's nothing to worry about. However, it is only 2k while all the other drivers on the list are 20K or more. Makes me wonder if it's a keylogger or something disguised as an input driver.

---------- Added 0 hours, 8 minutes and 13 seconds later... ----------

I find three instances of a file called that, two capitalized and one lower-case as it appears in dxdiag. Which should I kill?
    c:bad:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJSTICK.DRV
    C:bad:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DirectX\migrate\msjstick.drv
    C:bad:WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP\MSJSTICK.DRV

---------------
    DirectX Drivers
    ---------------
    framebuf.dll: 4.10.00.1998 English Final Retail 4/23/1999 22:22:00 28672 bytes Certified
    framebuf.drv: 4.10.00.1998 English Final Retail 4/23/1999 22:22:00 22192 bytes Certified
    msjstick.drv: 4.08.01.0881 English Final Retail 5/1/2002 18:51:36 2352 bytes
    supervga.drv: 4.00.00.0950 English Final Retail 4/23/1999 22:22:00 52320 bytes Certified
    tsd32.dll: 1.03.03.0007 Final Retail 4/23/1999 22:22:00 32768 bytes Certified
    vga.drv: 4.10.00.1998 English Final Retail 4/23/1999 22:22:00 52080 bytes Certified

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It certainly sounds like a bad idea to remove. Proceed with caution. Or better yet, don't.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.