1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to add NWN2 back to Win7 Games menu?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by SlickRCBD, Apr 25, 2015.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I apologize if this belongs in Techno-Magick instead of here.

I thought I knew the answer to this, but standard methods aren't working.
    For some strange reason Neverwinter Nights 2 keeps disappearing from the Games menu and "Games Explorer" of Windows 7's Start menu.

Copying a shortcut of NWN2Launcher.exe to the "Games Explorer" appears to work...until I reboot the computer. Then it disappears again. Doesn't matter if I do this with my standard account using UAC elevation or logged in as the admin.

How do I get it to stay in there and also add things to the contextual menu including a link to the manual, a link to the character editor (I make mistakes with feats or skills all the time and want to correct it rather than redo hours of gameplay) and a way to launch the game or toolset directly.

The computer is a dual-boot with Windows Vista, and the game is installed on the Vista partition, which unlike previous versions of windows gets the C and D drives switched around depending on which OS is booted, with the C drive always being the current OS. Thus, it is installed to the D drive in Windows 7.
    Could that be affecting it since there is also a C:bad:Program Files (x86) and the game is in D:bad:program files (x86)? It makes no sense to me.

I want it accessible to all users.

2. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think I explicitly stated I tried the first suggestion on the first link. In fact, I already consulted the first link. Something weird is going on, because the "More Games from Microsoft" will not go away either even when I have it unchecked in the "add/remove windows components".
    I may have to reinstall Windows 7. I've already tried sfc /scannow, disk checker, and a full antivirus and antimalware scan with AVG Free and Malwarebyes.

I'll try the other methods.

4. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

You didn't mention the site or link to it so I didn't realize you had already tried one, sorry :p. Have you considered or tried installing it on your 7 install? You should be able to save space and skip patching to 1.23 by backing up the Vista install, installing to the same location on 7 (Vistapartitiondrive:bad:Folder\path\to\NWN2\here\), and then restoring the files (leaving the backup intact until you test that it runs fine on Vista/7.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.