1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How Sick Can "People" Be?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Someone needs to be put in a closed space with rubber walls. Puppies first, human babies later? One never knows what idea will come to such a cruel psychotic mind. Either gaol or psychward, I say. Or maybe both. But at least one.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I sincerely hope they go medieval on those punks.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just goes to show that we are descendants of animals.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Uh - when did humans stop being animals?

And the vast majority of animals aren't cruel for the hell of it.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You know, "Cat in a Microwave" is funny as a joke, but when this happened in German (by some kids), I did not laugh. This is exactly the same idiocy and those who did it deserve what is coming. :toofar:

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If i had a choice i'd blow some firecrackers in those mouths who've done such a thing. I would do it myself and certainly without any regret.

These things always make me sad and pissed off at the same time. Just how low can one get?
    I wouldnt mind if there were two punks throwing firecrackers at each other. None of them would be helpless and they both choose to do so. But to make that to an animal who cant defend itself and has done absolutely nothing to them... :flaming:

I wonder why though, i always get more upset about someone killing an animal than someone killing a person, even if it were done the same way.

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Damn, this makes me so angry!
    Those idiots should have a firecracker put up their ass! :mad: :flaming:
    How can anyone do things like that to animals?
    If someone did that to my dogs I *would* kill them :flaming:

After hearing this, I don't hold much hope for the human race :bang:

Man, I hope those punks get the ass-whooping of their lives!

@Gothmog: I get more angry when stuff like this happens to animals, too. I think it's because animals are cute and innocent, and they'd never do something as sick as this.

[ July 05, 2004, 17:40: Message edited by: Jesper898 ]

9. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Animal cruelty laws need to be stiffened! That is uncalled for and idiodic. I really wouldn't mind seeing how well the react to firecrackers lit in their mouths... If an eye for an eye made the whole world blind people would come to realize what they have made others miss through their ignorance.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Gothmog - like you and Jesper898, it seems to bother me more with animals as well. But then, I wonder how I would have reacted if, rather than being innocent puppies unable to protect themselves, it had instead been innocent babies unable to protect themselves; I think rather than being sad and horrified like I am now, I would have gone beyond that, straight to disbelief and denial that such a thing could even be possible. Hopefully, I never have to test that theory.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

[​IMG] I just don't know what to say. This...this just...my faith in human kind is being tried. If it weren't for the number of people fighting for justice over this act, then I would say...well, I just wouldn't have anything to say.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

It's not the act that unnerves me but everyone's reaction to it. On the day that the terrorist attacks on September 11 occurred, I didn't see a lot of comments about it, and I'm pretty sure no one said that their faith in humanity was being shaken. But when a bunch of crazy people blow up dogs with firecrackers, there are a bunch of replies decrying the perpetrators.

So, at the risk of being blunt - they're just dogs. I have a feeling that if it were pigs or ravens (both of which have shown a remarkably high animal intelligence), there would be less incensed people. But, still, I would be angry as the next guy if it were a human being that was killed with firecrackers.

Saddam Hussein is on trial right now (and I don't think I have to tell you what he's done and had done), yet I don't see too many people calling for him to be shot, gassed, electrocuted, etc.

Puppies are nice. Pets are nice in general. But to decry and call for the retribution of people who have blown six puppies up, while no one says anything about the genocide of hundreds of thousands of Hutus or the Tiananmen Square massacre is even more disturbing.

13. Splunge

Media:
    …I knew I should have posted this in the Alley.

Oaz, I guess for me, the difference between this act and the ones you describe is that this one is one of pure sadistic, senseless cruelty.

In the events you mention, we can at least find a reason behind them (make the U.S. pay for its sins, quell opposition to the government, etc.); we may disagree with (or even not really understand) the reasons, but at least we can recognise that they exist.

But in this case (and ones like it), there is no reason other than the desire to inflict pain and suffering on another living creature just for kicks. And to me, that’s the part that I don’t comprehend. It’s not that it's more atrocious that the other cases you cite, but it’s somehow different.

14. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

:whoa: Sorry, didn't want to offend animals no were implying that descending is the same as ending relation.
    Animal

15. Whatever Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Not trying to sound callous but people often swat bugs just because they happen to be where they're not wanted. I've done it and I'm sure you have too. Do you find that equally shocking? Is that so different from this? Because a grasshopper isn't cute and cuddly?

Many animals kill for sport and torment their victims. If they didn't, the ones who did that to the puppies probably wouldn't either.

Not trying to defend them in any way but be aware that sadism exists. You can see it in several posts in this thread. Maybe you won't get so upset next time knowing this. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Proper Equality Activates Controlled Emotions

16. Register Gems: 29/31

Don't worry Oaz, I would like to see Bush, Hussein, and Osama behind bars as well.

And since no animals kill for sport, it clearly shows that humans don't come from animals. :p

Just my good ol' christian view of it.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'll admit, that for me, my reaction is based primarily on the fact that puppies are cute and helpless and I feel sad when someone mistreats them.

Sorry if that makes me callous because I'm not immediately feeling as sorry for all the humans that are suffering in the world, but I can't help it.

Your point is a valid one, Oaz, but something in the wiring of my brain makes me feel immediately sad for the puppies. It doesn't make the mistreatment of humans any less important. Maybe I've just been de-sensitised to mass human suffering because I've been bombarded by it on the news every day. Who can tell?

18. Splunge

Media:
    Yes, the "cute and cuddly" factor plays a large role for me as well (forgot to mention that in my last post). I’m an animal lover and pet owner, so I put myself in the position of wondering “what if it happened to my pet?”
    Yes, it exists. And yes, I’m aware that it exists. And maybe someday I’ll be uncaring enough not to be appalled when I read about such things. But I doubt it; I’m a bit too old to change my feelings here.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It doesn't matter how horrible people are being to one another or the 'cute and cuddly' factor - it's still horrible.

We expect better from these people and if they're caught someone better give their parents a damn good spanking for raising such retarded children.

"Hur hur hur! That dog's on fire! Hur hur hur!"
    Fricking retards...

20. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just so you know, I've been discussing with quite a few people in the last two days, what will happen to Sadam when he goes to trial in his own country. On a particular army website I watched footage of men having their hands cut off. I found myself hoping (and you can call ME a sadist for this), hoping that they cut little pieces of Sadam off bit by bit before they do the final fatal part.

Now when it comes to little a##Ho##s who hurt animals just for fun, well maybe they aren't any different than the other afformentioned jerk. I would like to see the same kind of cruelty played out on them. Cruelty to the helpless MAKES ME REALLY SICK. Human or animal victims both feel pain and nothing deserves that kind of garbage. I know that giving them back what they have dished out is not going to take away the pain that has happened but at least it is a small payment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.