1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How on earth... the humiliation

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shoshino, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    ok, now... my fighter, with 18/56 str, 18 dex and 18 con, got killed by one of the 2 assassins at the beginning of baldur's gate, you know, the guys who attack you in candle keep.
    and im thinking, how???????
    my char couldnt hit him once, how against the odds is that? this fight took over ten minuits and my fighter didnt hit him once.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Bad luck ;) .

3. Shoshino

Media:
    well, its a good thing it was at the beginning, i cant bring myself to play with that char again, im so ashamed of it

luck?? LUCK!!!!!!

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I suppose if you keep getting a 1 for your attack rolls (an automatic miss) it could happen but the odds against it happening every time for an entire fight must be something about 10,000 to 1. Well done! You're officially the unluckiest person to ever play Baldur's Gate!

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Nobody is that unlucky -- could be a glitch! I'd test that theory by reloading before turfing your good character.

6. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hm you better try again,then if you fall again,dl a patch,then if you fall again...
    Congratulations,you are the most unlucky guy ever.

7. Shoshino

Media:
    well, ive reloaded and used a mage and the mage beat them both with a simple dagger, so.... maybe its just the fighter

8. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Strength isn't everything!
    What's your thaco?
    Did you use an item you have no proficiency points in?
    Bad penalties then... :toofar:

9. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Maybe it wasn't bad luck. Maybe the assassin just had extremely GOOD luck...

10. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Sometimes enemies do get really lucky. I remember Minsc (about 5th level at the time)being killed outright when a kobold commando got him with a critical hit.

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

It could be bad luck YES. Once my PC(a ranger) got 4 critical misses in a row. The chance for that to happen is 1 to 16000(simple math)

12. Shoshino

Media:
    well, i believe that a starting thaco when you have a high strength is 18, also, i know strength isnt everything which is why i also had a high dex to give me an AC bonus + a high con to have a hp bonus, with regards to proficiencies, both points were in the long sword that i was using

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

dshadow, was minsc injured before? and also how many hp? for 5th level i'd guess around 40-50? Kobold commandoes are very evil and unfair, they have bows with fire arrows and im not sure why but i've never seen a fire arrow miss when they've fired them, especially in the mines round the lake. However if minsc had around 40-50 hp even a critical (doubling the damage) i can't quite see how this could happen -
    bow (1-6)*2 = 2-12; kobolds don't get a strength bonus afaik because they have lousy strength.
    + fire damage fro arrow is 2d6 (i think) so that's (2d6)*2 = 4-24
    which means overall it would be 6-36 on a critical but minsc ought to have higher hp than that. Was he injured? Also im not sure if fire arrows is 2d6 or just 1d6, if it's just 1 then i have no idea how a kobold (even commando) could do that much damage to a 5th level uninjured minsc.

To the actual topic, it's possible to beat the 2 assasins with your fists (well knock them out) even if you have lousy thaco, str, dex etc (i've done it with a mage) so this was either bad luck or just the game being unfair with the rolls, did you happen to see any of the to-hit rolls?

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

In the beginning it's always about luck (and save/load). I remeber it: sometimes 5 minutes long fight, sometimes the got my in three turns and sometimes I got them instantly...

BTW yesterday I was playing bowling and I managed not to knock a single one for three times in a row (and that's quite a luck)

15. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Yas, Minsc was wounded at the time but I'm sure he had something like 30 HP. It just seemed strange that he'd gone head to head with an ogre beserker earlier and come out on top and then he went and got killed by a kobold commando.

16. Shoshino

Media:
    the fight was so long that i got bored and went to get a pizza

17. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Bonzo, they wouldn't get THAC0 nor damage bonus with bows even if they had 25 STR.
    Some of them have 17 DEX, tho.

18. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Ah the wonders of the Baldur's Gate combat system. :p

Seriously how is it even possible to be killed by the assassins in candlekeep? They have like 1hp and an AC of 50 and the worst THAC0 imaginable. I need to test this.

19. Mariana Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Now there's some good, old-fashioned optimisim for you! ;)

20. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

There are three things that could have happened: 1. you have extremley bad luck 2. you have really low Thaco. 3. The assassins had extremley good luck. Also, strenght isn't everything. you could have a 18/00 strength chara an stll get killed by a ogre, but you have to have extremley bad luck.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.