1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How much wilderness lore for Fell wood?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by claudius, Mar 7, 2014.

1. claudius Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I want to use wilderness lore for the fell wood. I've done this in a past game and liked the results. I don't want to drop items and make a map etc. I found wilderness lore was what I needed to find the way.

How many ranks (with ability bonus/penalty) do I need to navigate the fell wood?

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    zero. you can keep clicking while paused until you roll a 20. lame, i know.

3. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

How much do I need so I won't have to click 80 times.

So if I have a 50% chance then I would very rarely have to click more than 4 times, right?

But if I have 5% chance it might take forever!

So how good would say 8 wilderness lore? Good enough? What about 10?

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can click your mouse twenty times rapidly while paused, it isn't that hard to do. Chances are you rolled a 20 by then, and you can look up the area info in the textscreen.

5. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks so much everyone. I think the problem is solved. I had a dwarf cleric and a tiefling druid.. Now I know that is not optimal it is just what I thought would be cool beans.

But I fixed it by making a human cleric and druid. The cleric will have 3 intelligence with cross-class into wilderness lore. The druid is human also and has 3 intelligence. The druid takes concentration and spellcraft. Druid needs spellcraft more than cleric for the elemental damage feats.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Obviously you aren't into role-playing. How could those two bumbling idiots hope to get through the Fell Wood except by accident?

On the other hand, that could be funny, but by the AD&D rules, a character with 3 INT is literally retarded. In theory it is supposed to be an I.Q. of 30, but that rule of thumb breaks down at the extremes. In reality an int of 3 is supposed to be the lowest I.Q. that can still function on their own (possibly with a little help).

Still, stupid people can be funny if you want to play it that way.

7. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Hi Slick,

Yes I am not role playing. 30 IQ and they would be *****ing their pants.

8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I guess it's a rather safe bet to assume that most skill requirements follow a rather linear pattern, from low single digits in Prologue all the way up to 15-17 range in Chapter Five, with some outlier 20's for Knowledge: Arcana. Hence, something like 10 should be plenty in Fell Wood - sounds just about right by my replays with or without someone with the skill in the character mix.

9. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

It worked fine cross classing and 18 Wisdom...

10. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    INT 3 roughly corresponds to IQ 65.
    INT 18 = IQ 140.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Is there a different formula printed in the later books? IIRC the PHB mentioned 10*INT for I.Q. in 2nd edition.

12. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I've also heard that the stats distribution was supposed to mirror real world in that the extremes are rare, which happens naturally for a standard 3d6 die roll. Both 3 and 18 happen with 1/216 probability. That's hardly "once in a million" sort of rare occurence, leaving quite a bit of wiggle room for the real pathological cases in either direction.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    True enough, but I recall we got 5's and 6's with disturbing regularity, and 4's seemed to appear far more often than 17's.
    It always seemed we got more characters with a single 4-6 than a single 16-18. 3's seemed just as rare as 18's however.
    I do recall one guy though that you'd swear used a point buy and max-minned, but it was actually a 4d6 drop lowest roll.
    He had a sixteen, a seventeen, a four, a five, a ten and a fourteen. I remember that because he decided to play a memorable but annoying character and I played a spellcaster that created a remote control with a mute button for that character.
    It was a fun campaign with lots of sillyness.

claudius likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.