1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How Much Time Do You Spend During Character Creation

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is one aspect of the game that I always thought was over the top. For me, I go through the presets, and find one that I like. From there I will make adjustments regarding things like hair (style and color), beard (if applicable), eye color, war paint, and scars. But to actually go through each one for things like "eye depth", "cheek height", etc... not a chance. I mean maybe I played around a bit with it on my first character, but after that, never. I mean, whether you are in first person or third person view, one thing you hardly ever see is your character's face.

2. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

With my first (and only, so far) character, I did not spend much time on those things. Of course, I'm a Khajiit, so I was mainly concerned with color. I know I've spent more time on those things in Dragon Age: Origins, only because I realized how ridiculous they often make the presets (really strange noses, in particular, and overly large lips). So, when I do a human-like character, I might do more of that. I'm not really sure, though.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Did it piecemeal on my first male character and first female character. Presets after that.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find a preset and then adjust. 5-10 minutes to get the look right, then bam.

Then about halfway through the game I realize the head has been obscured by a helmet the whole time and wonder why I bothered. :)

BG2? An hour every time.

NWN2? Longer.

IWD? Better get a snack and a chair with lumbar support, 'cuz I'mma be here a while. :)

Taluntain likes this.
  5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Even though I knew what Shadowkeeper was, I've been known keep clicking 'reroll' for ages when making a new character on BG2. To this day I have no idea why.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG]
    I know why -- it's because there's a certain satisfaction from knowing you "earned" legit stats the hard way. I use Gate/Dale/ShadowKeeper for all sorts, but I always try and roll the stats I want. If I don't, there's always a psychological tic somewhere that this character's not... right somehow.

As for Skyrim... I usually tweak a preset for a few minutes, and I'm away. The only PITA is the starting dungeon. Really, I should d/l an alternative start mod, or just write a bat file for my own. :shake:
    Sir, I present QuickFox's Armored Circlets, for you delectation. No self-respecting, good-looking adventurer should be without them. :p

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's kinda like grinding for XP. Except here you're grinding for stats.

8. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Splunge: Yes. And what you grind for is important. For example, I never enjoy grinding for experience, so I rarely do it and don't particularly enjoy games where I need to. On the other hand, for some reason, I love the satisfaction of legitimately getting super stats in BG (in my case, BG1). I also don't mind grinding for gold/farming. I think for me, it has to do with two things:

1) "Who" is doing the grinding (me or the character) and

2) Is it in character?

So, since the character doesn't know that just randomly killing a bunch of stuff will get them something cool (i.e. experience points), it doesn't make sense to bore him/herself by doing so, but during character creation, it's me, the player, and I DO know the importance of stats. Similarly, the character does know if they have something they want to buy and need the money for it. Maybe. I metagame in other ways, though, so I'm not sure. I just know that I'm willing to do tedious and boring things for money and to complete a quest, but not just for "experience".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.