1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How important is multiplayer to you?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Taluntain, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can read in the interview that I posted on the front page that G:TTOEE (this must be the longest game name ever) will not have multiplayer as an option, and no toolset like NWN either.

Does this make a difference to you in terms of buying or not buying it?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

no... after reading the interview i have decided to buy it... Why? becouse it will be great... i am pretty sure of this... the only thing that would stop me is if its in 3D... i hate 3D on RPGs...

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No, because I never actually play games multiplayer.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually it does. Any game that lacks of NWN misses makes me a potential buyer.

[ December 21, 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: Extremist ]

5. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have to agree with Ivanji, I'll buy it as long as it is in 2D. NWN just didn't impress me the way Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale did. I'm looking forward to it.

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Taluntain wrote
    Absolutely no difference whatsoever. :thumb:

@Ivanji and Keihdra
    Did you not read the interview? It is in 3D. It's Troika's own recently developed engine.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not really. I like the idea of a focused single player game right now. NWN proved that if you shoot to high, in the end, some of what you are shooting far will be subpar. If there were primarily going to make a sp game, a multiplayer component would just be wasted as in the BG series. Heheh, I think more people used the multiplayer option in those games just to create more than one character theirself as oposed to actually playing it online with friends. A single player product that is focused on being such will be a better product in the end because of it and it will take less time to develop.

And Extremist, I like NWN multiplayer. It's the single player design that stinks ;)

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] No multiplayer? At lasy - a game that doesn't need the net to be cool! Hmm, by the sounds of it though the spec is too high :wail:

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Multi player or no, it sounds too good to miss out on to be honest. Besides I've never played any of the BG or IWD series multi player and PST had no multi player at all and it made no difference. Why should it for G:TTOEE? (yes that is a big abbreviation ;) )

10. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nope, no difference to me. Some of my best games are single-player only. ;)

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Makes no difference to me either. The only game I've played online is NWN. A toolset would be cool, but I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the time and money they'd need to spend on it.

12. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Having multi-player is certainly not an important issue for me and will not influence whether or not I buy the game.
    I by far prefer single-player games and very rarely take part in MP. I'd much rather see the Troika team focus on getting the single player gameplay working properly than wasting time trying to get a multi-player system running smoothly.

13. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I like the idea of multiplayer,but it has been my experience that unless you have a group of people you know multiplayer is tough for RPGS.
    I will buy it if it looks good.Off to read the review now.

Back from reading the interview.That got me even more excited about this game and the chance they may do more games set in Greyhawk.
    When he was talking about doing AGAINST THE GIANTS I was so excited.That would just rule.Maybe they will do the Slaver Series too and link them all together for one epic campaign.

[ December 22, 2002, 00:55: Message edited by: Dorion Blackstar ]

14. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Indeed. I think there is huge potential in Greyhawk, and if Troika do it right, this could be an excellent re-creation of p&p module progression, mirroring how you might advance through those modules in a home game.
    The licence and possibilites seem wide open, so I hope ToEE does well in terms of sales.

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It certainly wouldn't make any differance to me. I would never buy a game with a name that long.

Just kidding. :D Actually, since I never use MP, it makes no differance to me. The game looks fun, and I'm all in favor of a game with a well done focus on single player and a new (for me) setting. The more I read of it, the more excited I become. Can't wait.

[ December 22, 2002, 05:41: Message edited by: Kam ]

16. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Fallout, BG, IWD, and Planescape are all games I've played single player only.
    So it would not bother me if it doesn't have online play. In fact I think I would prefer it this way, because there are a lot of issues that need to be resolved to make a game mp-compatible. I'd rather the designers use the time to focus on making the single player game as good as they can, without getting sidetracked on mp issues.

Case in point: I think Neverwinter Nights would have been much better if it focused on either single or multi player, instead of being divided between the two (It was still OK, but not the game it could have been).

17. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Multiplayer doesn't really matter to me. I hardly use it anyway, just rarely on Lan. This does give the designers more scope for a single player game design. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

As stated above, Planescape Torment is the best example of a truly brilliant single player (only) rpg.

18. gx5ilver Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I really don't think multiplayer matters for these kinds of games (barring NWN). It will make no difference in whether or not I buy it.

19. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Multyplayer doesn't matter much to me in an RPG so that won't be a deciding factor in whether I buy this game or not. Rules implementation, gameplay, ease of use, and last but certainly not least stability (which was one of the issues that relieved me when I found that NWN worked perfectly on my machine.) I just hope this game doesn't turn in to another PoR2: RoMD or the most expensive comercial virus out there.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Okay, we have to get a better abbreviation going here ;)
    I've only played multiplayer once on BG2 and it's not something that I particually care for. I'd just rather play all on my lonesome. If killing the multiplayer makes for a better simgle player game then I'm all for it

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.