1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How honest are you online?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by nunsbane, Nov 26, 2008.

1. nunsbane

nunsbane

The anonymity of an internet connection paired with human nature invites dishonesty. Everyone wants to be more interesting than they really are, or younger(older for young people) or more admirable or more attractive. They would like to be more intelligent or tougher, braver, more successful, cooler, etc. Why settle for...*you*..if you can be what you want to be online?

Personally, I've been online for about eight years and have been mostly honest. Moreso in recent years. Sometimes I would lie to more easily make a point or make myself more interesting....sometimes I lied to make others more interesting as I would give them something more interesting to consider during a chatroom conversation. On occasion I have said things online which I may not say in person (behavior I despise). Most of the time I realized in retrospect that I typed something I may not have said aloud....an incongruency I consider to be as bad as a lie.

So, how honest are you when you chat with strangers, post to a forum, create an online persona or otherwise represent yourself online?

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm pretty much the same online and offline, and very much WYSIWYG in both. If anything I can be a little more awkward or shy online (I know, it should be the other way round) but in terms of honesty I don't see the point in pretending to be someone else. The anonymity doesn't affect my behaviour in any way.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Considering that this is the only site that I post on at all, and considering that my general opinion throughout my whole life has essentially been "If people don't like me for what I am, I don't care," I think the relative anonymity of the internet makes me more honest than in RL, not less (and that's saying something, because I am mostly brutally honest in RL). The regulars who have interacted with me over the years will probably concur -- except for Splunge of course, who is simply a pathological liar and a scoundrel, so anything he says should immediately be discounted. :p

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    In real life, I regularly use firearms to shoot people, and to get their attention I leap into nearby bodies of water and fetch a large trout to slap them with.

My actions online tends to be more exaggerated (...), but mostly the same. It would be as if I bypassed/hastened the "getting to know people" stage. And, surprisingly, I'm actually quite shy/quiet in real life. Hah!

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Depends. There's a lot I'm not telling, but not a lot to know. No point blurting out anything more online than I'd do in RL, no point lying when silence is gold and especially when I'm a terrible liar.

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Quite honest.

(This is the only place I'm actually "online" (FAI included).)
    However, if I consider something too private, I don't tell it - simple as that.

Lying is simply too complicated. Why waste memory on keeping track of it? :p

That's my RL philosophy, too.

8. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    i tend to be really honest on BoM and will share pretty much any experiance if i think that it will help somebody with their own life. I'm really open about most things (perfect example is the abortion rant!).

However, I do have a habit of going onto other sites and saying that I'm a 6' Lap dancer with perfect features. Unfortunatly, in real life i'm 5'2 and fat......ah well.

It's fun to see how people react!

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

A 6' lap dancer? Wow. That'd be kinda scary!

I'm a lot more open online than in real life, but in both environments I am pretty bloody honest.

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm mostly honest about myself online. Obviously I don't use my real name ;) but other then that it's very rare that I'll lie online.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I tend to be as honest both online and offline. Though I tend to be pretty quiet in both forms about personal information. I tend to appear more cheerful online I think though as well :p

Probably all the smilies :hello:

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ditto what dmc said.

ESPECIALLY about Splunge ;)

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never lie. :p

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm as honest online as I am in real life with people I don't know all that well.

In other words, what dmc said about me.

:p

15. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Seeing as people who'd lie about themselves online would probably do so in this thread as well the purpose of it all is kind of defeated, no? :p

I tend to believe that I'm pretty much myself online. Meaning that I don't really say that much unless I have something to say. Actually thinking about it I have a tendency to sometimes "pretend" to be someone else in RL, mainly because I'm kind of a reserved guy who don't like too much letting people too close; so it's sometimes easier to just let them believe you are something you really aren't to keep them at a distance :rolleyes:. As a result I only have a couple of real friends, the rest are just acquaintances who don't really know me at all.

16. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The only times I can remember lying online are when I'm in mmo's and trying to get out of a bad group or get away from someone who's bugging me.

17. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I don't lie. I may be more vocal online than I am IRL, however. I may also try to present myself more favourably than I might otherwise be...

That said, on an RP Message board, I play the character, not me specifically. I have a character on a couple Wrestling RP sites that does drink beer and is not abour the occasional obscenity laden tirade to get an opponent mad enough to fight. The character likes to hit people with Frying pans, weed whackers and put them through flaming tack tables and panes of Glass. If DotW can describe it from a CZW death match, my character will try to top it!

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    No lies, as full disclosure as possible, but some privacy kept. I don't come up with my name and surname everywhere, nor do I communicate my nicknames from other places when I don't really feel like it, so I guess you could say honest but sometimes private.

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think I'm more streightforward online, IRL I'm typically more reserved. I tend to say what I think without hesitating too much which can be a good thing bad but sometimes leads to me saying things that I haven't really thought through. I avoid outright lying but have in a few cases have done so to make a point, but not anymore really.

20. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

what chevalier said seems to fit most of the posters here(including myself) & some of us seem to be too brutally honest(myself included) which can get us in trouble(myself most definitely included!).:p

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.