1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How good is this game with several mods?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sloty, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Sloty Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is it as good as the infinity engine games?
    I really want to install some mods so the game takes longer and I can reach higher levels.Which mod(s) would you reccomend?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found the game very enjoyable. The Circle of Eight modpack is a must.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I agree with BTA.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    With Co8 modpack, the game is pretty amazing (don't even bother playing without it). Aside from that, there really isn't any other mods worth mentioning, except maybe the Keep on the Borderlands, which is a completely separate campaign.

As far as the game is oncerned, it's the most accurate representation of D&D 3.5 in its full tactical glory (and imbalanced mess). The story isn't really the game's strong point though. It's not bad or anything, but it's more of a game for hardcore D&D players than it is for casual roleplayers looking for a powerful story-driven experience.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And I also agree with Keneth. Apparently, I am very agreeable today. :p

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Agreed. :p

I'm also gonna go ahead and post the link to my recap of the experience from a few years ago, because that's what I do every time someone asks me what the game is like. I had a lot of fun. :D

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The game is fun but buggy. Co8 Mod is excellent. KotB is awesome. It was the module the DM ran in my 1st PnP session as an impressionable young teen. Very fond memories. When I saw the were doing a mod it made my week.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The bugs are all but nonexistent at this point.

9. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Thanks, I think I will give it a try then!

Whats a good powerful party setup?

---------- Added 7 hours, 40 minutes and 20 seconds later... ----------

How many self created chars can I use with this mod and how many do you reccomend to create for a challenging but fun gameplay?

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    D&D adventures are generally aimed at 4 characters and you can make a perfectly well-rounded party with that many. A classic setup is a tanky-smashy character (fighter, barbarian), an arcane spellcaster (wizard, sorcerer), a divine spellcaster (cleric, druid), and a skill monkey (rogue, bard). There are a myriad of ways to develop any given class, so the roles aren't necessarily predefined, but you'll likely come upon various hurdles that you won't be able to deal with without appropriately specced characters (see the recap of my playthrough above for examples).

Greater number of characters means less XP for everyone, but you make up for it with a bigger party size (obviously). There are a few cool NPCs that you can recruit throughout the game who are pretty cool and effective, so you needn't worry about XP if you want to recruit a companion or two.

11. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Is this mod (co8) working with the german version of toee?

Which skills are neccesary to finish the game?

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The mod will probably work with the German version, but I don't know if the mod has any German localization. Check the mod's page. Otherwise all the mod content will be in English.

I'm pretty sure no skills are necessary to finish the game, but obviously you'll want to invest into as many as possible to benefit from them. You can see this page for info.

13. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Can someone suggest me a very strong, good aligned,fun party of 5 without the need of adding NPCs later?

To which level will I get with 5 girls and guys at the end of the game?

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Alignment plays a part in many aspects of the game. A lawful good Paladin may be limited to :tobattle: as soon as the party finally manages to enter the Temple. A less strict alignment allows more moral flexibility like accepting quests from evil PC´s in the Temple (and then later slaughtering them for the XP and loot... :evil: )

There are several weapons that have alignment restrictions. Some of them may not have their full potential if your alignment is one step off theirs, some may cause a temporary loss of a level while wielding them. That was the reason I had a wide spread of alignments in my party.

There are many interesting NPC´s in the game and you will want to keep at least 1 slot open to add one of them during the game.
    At one occasion there are two NPC´s that will join you *only* as a team if you have a small party so if you want to experience their company have only 4 own PC´s at the start.

And there´s a lot of info here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/Walkthrough/PartyGuide/PartyGuide.php

About skills and feats:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9879

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If playing the Co8 mod, you can have up to 8 party members, though 5 is more than enough. If playing good, pick NG as the party alignment as its allows you to have alignments of LG, NG and CG. As stated above, some items are only usable by specific alignments.

I would definitely have
    a CG warrior for one of the best in game weapons

For a five man team any combo of 2 warrior types, one rogue/bard, one cleric/druid and one wizard/sorcerer will easily beat the game. I beat the game with Pally, Cleric (x3) and Rogue.

The Keep on the Borderlands mod is a remake of a low-level adventure from I believe the 70's. The added skills, including wall-climbing, are excellent for a pen and paper feel. Once you get the hang of the game engine, try this mod out. I loved it.

The key with this game engine is crowd control. That includes not allowing the enemy into your back ranks. Feats that allow extra Attacks of Oppurtunity comboed with Reach weapons work wonders for warrior types. I would also recommend having one high strength warrior with a high crit (x3) type weapon to bypass DR on particularly damage resistant enemies. There tons of feat/weapon combos to try out. It makes replay viable.

Happy Adventuring!

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There are two of them though. Sadly, can't dual-wield them because the game crashes. Probably for the best. :shake:

17. Sloty Gems: 5/31

To which level will I get with 5 girls and guys at the end of the game?

A question about the social skills:
    Are only those applied of the character who started the conversation with an NPC or are those of all characters used?

Does the co8 mod add new spells,talents and class abilities for the levels higher than level 10?

Which character makes the best diplomat?

Which version of co8 do I need to download and is a patch of it needed also?

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    With 5 members, you'll probably be around level 19 at the end if you're thorough.

Some skills do use the party's max, but I think social skills aren't one of those. Not 100% sure though.

Co8 adds new spells and abilities past level 10, yes.

The best diplomats are characters with decent Cha who have Diplomacy as a class skill. In most other versions, this would likely be Sorcerer, but 3.5 still had its retarded cross-class skill mechanic, so your best Diplomancer would be a bard, if you decide to use one. An alternative would be rogue, but their Cha is usually somewhat low.

Download the latest version of Co8. I recommend the New Content edition. Also make sure your game is updated first (GOG version is ideal).

Edit: Oh, and some antivirus programs may dislike certain files in the mod. There's no viruses, obviously, but you might have to add an exception in the AV for them.

19. Sloty Gems: 5/31

Thanks!

Can you give me some hints on how to create a strong party to get me through the game?

When exactly does the new content of the co8 start ingame?

---------- Added 0 hours, 14 minutes and 29 seconds later... ----------

Help!

When I start to install patch 1 for toee it says that toee evil any english isnt installed on my computer.
    What can I do?

Perhaps I already have the patch 2 installed...
    Can I see anywhere which version of the game is installed?
    In the changelog perhaps?

---------- Added 0 hours, 58 minutes and 4 seconds later... ----------

Is this one the most actual patch:

-[ toee-patch2-beta8 : 2004-04-12 ]-

???

20. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Changelog, readme, EXE properties, in-game menu, etc. Game version is usually noted somewhere. Which release are you using? Physical discs?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.