1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How effective is a Skald in TOB?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Skalds were pretty good in SOA. Their song was fantastic and could help improve battles tremendously. Now, with TOB all bards get the improved bard song. So, does this make the skald extinct or is there benefits in using both songs?

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you've got Improved Song, you can't use their original song.

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

You still get the +1 to-hit and damage though, and the better lore than a blade. But, is it still worth it? Maybe, as the +1 works for all weapons and is useful for bows.

What about the Jester? His song acts differently from the other bards. Does the enhanced bard song change this as well? in-fact can the jester use the enhanced bard song?

Does TOB mean that the only truly viable bard is a Blade?

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Jester gets the same enhanced bard song as all the other bards.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Hmmm. That sucks big time. The idea behind a Jester is to have a different song. So really your only choice is to change the style of your character or dont take the HLA.

It's a pity they didn't implement it like IWD, where you can select what bard song to play.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, Skalds were really effective in BG2:SoA, but they were proven redundant after Improved Bard Song...the same goes for Jesters...they lose their offensive song for a defensive one.

The same has happened to Bounty Hunters...unless you are crazy enough about their Special Traps...there is just no reason to play them.

Um...to answer the original question, no they are not.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Only the Skald is affected by Improved Bard Song.
    If you download the official ToB Patch, the Jester's Song a type of offensive version the Improved Bard Song.

The Bounty Hunter's Special Traps can be thrown, like a fireball which can do high, repeating damage. (Although the Maze effect can be annoying)
    It does non-magical (piercing) damage (+4 or higher). This allows you to use traps without being cheesy.
    This is also the reason why Yoshimo is now a very handy member in my party nowadays. :D

[ July 07, 2004, 07:01: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

8. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@Scythesong: thanks for that. you're the man :)

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Scythesong: Does that mean that if I have the official ToB patch, the Jester gets an offensive Improved Bard Song? I don't know about that, seeing as I have the ToB patch.

If you are talking about a third party mod, then its another thing altogether, innit?

Also...about the Bounty Hunters, don't get me wrong, I'm playing a halfling Fighter/Bounty Hunter (SK'd) right now, and its a blast!

Just that, most people don't miss Special Traps that much after ToB, as they can just use Spike Traps.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have the latest (I think) official TOB patch installed and it does not result in a different improved song for the jester. There is a mod out there (thief rebalancing I think) that does do so.

Oh, and how on earth does the bounty hunter's ranged special traps NOT qualify as cheese?

Hmm, there are some bad guys over there so I will just stand so they are slightly off screen and obliterate them all by remotely setting a series of traps on the edge of my visible area so that they go off instantly while not alerting the monters that that I am there. Nope, nothing cheesy about that. :rolleyes:

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@JSBB: I don't think it's cheesy if you've scouted ahead, found them and then laid the traps. As this is what a bounty hunter would do. It is cheesy if you know ahead of time they are in that positions and lay the traps before actually seeing them.

I love being able to throw traps it's so cool and does make the bounty hunter viable in TOB still.

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I mistyped a sentence. :)

What I meant was that the official ToB Patch improves the Jester's Song, making it a kind of offensive Improved Bard Song. (Save bonus lowered, more effect if save is failed, etc)

On a side note it also fixes the Blade's Offensive Spin, which doesn't grant the additional +1 to hit and damage and becomes disabled during Tenser's Transformation.

Never be a Bard without it. :D

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Oooh...I'm all confused now.

The Jester taking the HLA Improved Bard Song gives him the same song as the other bards would get, which nerfs his offensive song.

True or false?

If false...hmm...I don't know how I have never heard about it before. A lot of FAQs are wrong in that case.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This is indeed true, the improved bard song HLA turns the jester into a quasi-skald.

I didn't realize that. Does it apply right from the start of the game? My experience with the jester is pretty well limited to starting one in TOB and selecting improved bard song to test if it would actually turn the jester into a quasi-skald.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.