1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you pronounce your nick?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Death Rabbit, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We have a very international crowd here at SP. More than that, we have several members who choose a "fantasy" sounding name, usually after a book character, a PnP character, etc. But I wonder if we all pronounce each other's names in our mental speakers as they were originally intended.

I have a few theories about certain names here, and corrections are welcome if I'm wrong.

chevalier: I always read your name as "kev-a-LEER," but I've wondered if you're using the more traditional french pronunciation of "SHEV-ul-yay." What it izz, foo?

Uytuun: "OO-e-toon?" This one makes my brain itch every time. :confused:

Taluntain: "TAL-un-tane?" Looks pretty obvious, but you never know. Those kookie Slovanians can't be trusted... ;)

Aldeth TFI: I get the "deth" part, but is the A an "Aw" sound or an "Ay" sound?

So anyway, post your pronunciation, as you intend it, here. Even if your name is easy to pronounce, feel free to participate just for fun.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Interresting, You know I tend to pronounce all nick I see in french because it is my native language and it is more natural to me to do so (Like chevalier as never been anything but SHEV-ul-yay because it is an actual french word knight)

So I think that everybody pronounce the nick as it will be pronounce and their native language. However if the nick are just not pronounciable using your own language then I supose they use english as it is the spoken language here.

But that's only a theory...
    Anyway

Ofelix OH-Fey-lix

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

say-lebb

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thank you, Det Rahbut, for taking attention away from the temporary insanity in another forum. :D

I am Splunj.

But "Sir" works just fine, too. :p :shake:

Edit: And I can't wait to hear the pronunciation of dmc or JSBB :D

Edit again: Oh...

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Errrrr..... Dee-Em-See

6. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] FAY-russ or FAYR-us

STOHN-slam-err

It may seem simple...but err, well...it is. :hahaerr:

And Caleb, I'm glad to know that...I always thought of your name as "kay-lebb"

Next thing you know, JSBB's name'll actually be pronounced "Jissb"...or BTA'll be "Blackthorne ta (as in "Ta-ta!").

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No, I'm afraid I'm just plain and simple Jay Ess Bee Bee. :p

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Mine is "Mai-Ster-Ah's Ko-Zeen"

Gotcha..

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ah, the simple pleasures in life - like when Death Rabbit goes Mr. T on us all. Cracks me up every single time.

My name is pronounced completely phonetically. Al Deth

"Al" pronounced just like the common American man's name - short for Albert.

And "the foppish idiot" part are all actual English words, so they can be looked up in the dictionary.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

"Dr-OO C-AIR-ee"

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh yeah - by the way, my nick is pronounced "SECKS-muh-sheen." The D,e,a,t,h,R,a,b,b,i and t are silent. :cool:

12. Register Gems: 29/31

@Faerus - I know, most do and it is the normal way as well, but since I have the nick, I set the rules of how it should be pronounced. :D

13. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

X-aye Win Toe. (or something)

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

It's a little tough for people who don't handle some of the dialectics of the strange mixture of Navajo and Guamish...but it's actually pronounced..."Chandos the Red".

Weird, huh?

15. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I don't pronounce my nick, it's my nick. :p
    My real name is close enough, and i use that in RL anyway.

@Ofelix
    I know you say chev's nick right, as it wasn't just plain "chevalier" originally. But if chev wishes, he can clarify. I'm too lazy. :p

16. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, mine is as simple as it gets: Meat - dog :p

Guess that wasn't so difficult, heh. But still thanks for letting me post a totally superfluous and useless explanation. :D

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

V-i-r-n-e. Easy as that, since in Finland, words are spoken like they are written.

18. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    mine's tak-are-ah. Or as i'd prefer (mas-ter) ;)

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Aldeth: I have no idea where you got it from, but Aldeth is a mediaeval female name :D

As for my own nick, it's a common word, so it depends on how you normally maim your French.

20. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] @Chev- heh, I always thought it was chev-a-leer...

@DR- LMAO! I never new man.

But as for mine, its simple from these 3 was to pronounce it: D-man, da-man, or as Slith calls me, Demon. :evil:

Edit: O yea, forgot i have the 18 on the BoM, so you can just add that or totally disregard it...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.