1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you organize/structure your work?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Melhisedek, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Well, lately I've had more and more work put on my table. I have things to do left and right, and that is work only. Than there are private and social stuff to attend to. Anyway I find myself forgeting stuff more and more. It was never a problem before. I don't think its age (28) or unhealthy living or lack of sleep/rest. It is just that I have so much to do
    Do you guys have some system or way of structuring stuff to do?

eg:
    I work and than I have phone call and guy wants something, I either leave it for later and forget about it (tried putting it on top of my screen or between keyboard and monitor) or do it at once and possibly get distracted by it or another call and forget what I was doing originaly.

I promise my friends that I'll see them or I'll call them, and I forget all about it

Anyone have the same problem ?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    All my "work" is spread out all over the computer room. If it's really important, then I'll write it down on a sticky note and put it on the front of my computer desk.

I'm not the best guy to ask about organization... :bad: :rolling:

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

For the work stuff because my manager likes reports everything I'm doing goes into a spreadsheet, even 5 minute jobs, currently I have 60 items for this week 90% of which are complete but I have to show where my time has gone and why I have not completed urgent stuff.

As for home etc don't really forget things there as it's my time

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Structuring is useless. Chaos will find it's way in every situation. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

5. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's simple, people call when they whish wo book a time. My secretary (well she is not my private secretary) picks up the phone and if it's my patient she writes it down in my "calendar" on the computer.

So I don't do much organization at all, I "just" take care of the patients. So the anwser to your question is that I don't organize my work myself.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't. :p

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Personal projects: notes on (lots of) small bits of paper. Once they start piling up, it's a great incentive to start doing things off them so I can throw them away and clear my desk. ;)

What I expect to take longer I usually write in one of the several documents I keep on my computer for this purpose.

Work: pretty much all of it goes into my (paper) notebook first, since I usually need to take notes on the fly in various places. Then it's filtered from there... either into the more organized sections of the notebook, or into the calendar, tracking system, notes log, etc. on my PC.

And if you're even busier than that, some kind of personal organizer gadget is a must, I guess.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think you need a life in order to have structure.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Get married. My wife tells me what to do and when to do it. :D

At work I use a calender -- just jot down notes and deadlines.

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Me? I (try) to rely on my memory that is, sadly, too short...

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm probably over organised. I have my Lotus Notes calendar into which all my appointments and reminders go. I also have an A4 sized diary which as a day for each page. Each A4 page is big enough to capture the day's to-do list, a snapshot of my appointments, and any notes, scribbles etc I make in a day. Hence everything ends up in my diary instead of on scraps of paper. It means it won't fit in my pocket, but it does mean that everything is in one place. I tried using Palms and Psions to organise my life but in the end have decided that good old pencil and paper works best for me.

Also, I hardly ever answer the phone. That is a big help in time management. My main issues are that I check email constantly.

12. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Melhisedek, if you're just dealing with a bunch of legwork you need to prioritize, you might want to look into David Allen's "Getting Things Done" program. It's a very tactical approach to knocking out all the work on your desk, though it doesn't apply as closely to higher-level managerial stuff.

Here's a hint: it does indeed use yellow post-it notes.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have a small 3 month notepad that I take with me everywhere and it has my appointments for every day in it (some day there are no appointments). My desk has a 4 story sorting tray. Top gets my immediate priority, 2nd down is the 'stuff that isn't too important and I'll get around to it when the top tray is clear', 3rd down is 'pieces of paper I MIGHT need in the future' and the 4th tray is often filled with non-work related goodies such as that free stapler I stole off Joe or the reciepts from home I might use to claim off my taxes etc.

My computer stores most of my information though using data systems and easy to use internet stuff all complex and I can't understand how half of it works but I know how to use it.

I also have a pretty good memory when it comes to other issues so I don't always need to write stuff down unless they're overly complex.

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Structure always ends up being more of a problem than a solution for me, so I gave up on it a long time ago.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Just bought another charger for my CrackBerry, so we'll consider that organization.

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Try the take a number system. They get served when we have time to do it. Sometimes the wait can be a couple months...

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We have a wiki set up so that we can record all of our 'to do' things. Before that I used to save all reminders in notepad.

18. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I write, in huge letters, reminders to myself, then either stick it to the keyboard or put it on the notice board. Or leave things in strategic places on the floor where I'll trip up on them.

19. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

ABC's... Airway, Breathing, and Circulation. Manage all the things that can kill your patient first, deal with the s**t in the bed when things slow down later.

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    A load of stuff scattered across my desk, with a page of paper to write notes of what needs to be done first near the middle. Just scribbling things down in the hope that I'll see the message and remember sometime soon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.