1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you kill ADAMANTITE GOLEMS under 10 minutes?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Arathorn, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Arathorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The only way that I have found to kill an iron or adamantite golem, which I believe the latter is one of the hardest enemies in the game thus far, is to hide your thief and equip him with the sword of backstabbing and when your thief is right next to the golem you attack and take 3-10 damage of him. It's too easy but it takes so long. Is there any other way?

[ August 09, 2002, 23:37: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes it is. You take a realy big hammer and WHAM ! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

No seriously you must grab some blunt weapons and hit as hard as you can. I believe that is all that there can be done.

3. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Also, if memory serves, you need either +3 or +4 weapons to hit adamantite golems. The hammer you find in the d'Arnise keep should work nicely. Potions of strength help and keeping a healer close by is not a bad idea.

4. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, the one near Firkraag's lair, I found, took damage from the Firetongue crossbow, and was unable to exit his little area. So I had Keldorn stand there, out of reach, firing bolt after bolt until it died. It *was* slow, I admit.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

A Killsword will whack him in under 5 seconds.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Two words: CROM FAEYR. Banging your head into it like this :bang: might help to. :grin: :shake:

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested Melf's Minute Meteors.

They work great, especially when the golem can't fit in between doors and other openings.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    [​IMG] You actually use that? :hahaerr: :hahaerr:

Well I don't. Throwing burning rocks just doesn't seem cool enough. :cool:

:coffee:

9. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Keneth is right. Crom Faeyr all the way. It is very effective against any golem.

[ August 10, 2002, 03:08: Message edited by: Abyssal Knight ]

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31

All right, first of all, despite the fact that Crom Faeyr can slay golems on touch, keep in mind that it only affects Clay and Stone golems. Secondly, Crom is available only till Chapter 6, whereas MMM is available from the start (assuming you have a mage and/or sorcerer with you.) Finally, as I said, Adamanite golems can't fit through small spaces, so a mage or sorcerer can just hurl Meteors from a distance, without having to be bashed by the golem repeatedly. (The golems don't run away when being hit from a distance due to their AI.)

Don't have a mage or sorcerer? Too cool to use MMM? Get Tansheron's Bow, firing the phantom arrows. They're the only +3 arrows in the game, and thus you should be able to hurt Adamanite golems from a distance.

I'm not trying to bash Crom Faeyr here. It's a powerful weapon, but I find using MMM or Tansheron's Bow a more effecient way of deal with Adamanite golems.

[ August 10, 2002, 03:53: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

11. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I seem to recall having no problems at all with such golems. Mind you, the only time I played all the way through was with my elven kensai dual-weilding celestial fury and that most excellent hammer.

12. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Those golems were never really a problem to me. Only Clay golems can be hard to hit on occasion.

Usually if you have a couple of fighters well equiped it shouldn't be a problem just let everybody bash at them. As soon as one of your fighters is seriously injured pull him back for healing and let someone else sustain the blows. Using items or spells like haste and stuff might help if you're still having problems.

I would suggest gesenbow if available. It fires +4 arrow, it even hits kangaxx.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You need +3 weapons to hit them? I know that's what it's supposed to be, but I remember hitting them with the Dragonslayer and Adjatha the Drinker, both of which are +2. Possible bug? Once I installed Weimer's mods though, it seems to have changed it to +3 or better.

You do not need blunt weapons to hit them. What I do, is surround them with two or three fighters and pound on them. I don't use those whimp bows.

[ August 10, 2002, 16:13: Message edited by: Rastor ]

14. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Those golems can be a big problem for low level chars.
    They have a huge weapon resistance, and pack quite a wallop (about 40-50 dam per hit in standard diff).

So, sure, they'll be no problem for a coupla lvl 20 fighters with 150+ hitpoints... but remember that sometimes you can meet the odd adamantine golem before you reach those levels.
    Since it is kinda cheesy on the game's part to send such foes at you then, don't be afraid of being a tad cheesy yourself: use their bulk against them.
    Have them on the far side of a doorway they can't fit through, and then it's up to you: you can use bows/slings, lower resistance/skull traps, summonned meat shields and long range melee weapons, whatever. ;)
    Once they're stuck, they're dead. The rest is mere execution.

[edit: removed ToB skill ref]

[ August 10, 2002, 17:38: Message edited by: Arutha ]

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    40-50 pts of damage? :eek: :eek: Jesus I've been playing on Insane diff for far to long I see.

Oh and fighting them with using their weaknesses like their large bodies that can't fit through the doors is for sissies :grin: :shake: . I say grab a hammer and wham them on the head :flaming: :flaming: .

16. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

My favorite might be 3-4 reduce magic resistance spells followed up by Magic Missle. You can then proceed to use you MMM that might be in your inventory of spells to finish it off if you run out of MM spells.

(or just pound away with Crom Faeyr for a while...)

And I like my "flaming rocks"!

[ August 11, 2002, 00:08: Message edited by: jack-of-all-trades ]

17. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Two words: Tasheron's bow.

Found at Trademeet. +3 shot, unlimited rounds, sure it does 1 damage per attack with Valygar, but hey, it takes less than 10 minutes and you don't have to waste any spells on it. Also, keeping your teammates out of harms way!!

18. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

When I got the game I tried several classes. But they were all either boring or ineffective. So I made a cavalier and decided that I'll just play the game through. I didn't have to get any celestial fury or crom fayer. Only thing I needed was holy avenger for me and the talking sword for minsc. The rest of the party was just crappy backup. Anomen fought very bad but healed everyone afterwards and anomen was capable of of casting finger of death too. Jaheira was probably the most useless party member I had. But with a good staff and sling she still made at least some damage and healed after battles. Aerie healed too and casted some useless spells. Imoen was only there because of the traps and was quite good for offense too. Most of the spells I memorized were offensive. Didn't give a damn about stoneskins or anything.

I'm a stingy player and if a fight can be fought without using anything that costs (potions, arrows, scrolls) then all the better. So when I met the adamantite golem I had a ton of heal potions and other potions left and it was so end game that I thought I only have to kill Irenicus after that so I drank all sorts of potions and casted some spells. Sent my cavalier there alone and killed the golem in a 1 vs 1 fight. I didn't risk the other party members. I never lost a party member.. well in the end fights I think I might have lost some.

19. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IIRC, if you happen to have the Collector's Edition merchants, Joluv's "Sling of Everard" is also capable of damaging Iron Golems. I have never run across an Adamantite Golem, though... so I wouldn't know about them. Also, as others have said, Tansheron's Bow(Or Gesen's) may be a good choice too.

20. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You are correct arilon ;) Sling of everard can hit adamantite golems.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.