1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do romances work - exactly?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by stormhand, Aug 14, 2003.

1. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I had a romance going between my PC and both Jaheira and Aerie at the same time (what a hunk!). It was quite funny witnessing their jaleousy fits and nagging at each other. I got to a point where I think I had to choose between the two of them and I chose Jaheira.

However, it dawned on me that I wasn't getting anymore interaction with Jaheira - I didn't feel her feelings for me anylonguer (i.e. no more dialogues with her). And I don't think I screwed up any of those dialogues to make her dislike me.

Then, all of a sudden, which is right after completing the Umar Hills' quest where I killed the Shadow Lord (?), I was threathened by a party of 4 who took Jaheira as an hostage. I managed to kill them without any hurt to Jaheira. But I haven't herd from her for a while now.

Now, how can I find out if my romance is still going on? Would Jaheira's death and raising her put a term to our "flirting"?!? I'm not very good with the computer, so if there is a way to verify through the "programming", please be gentle and detailed in your explanations!!! :cool:

Thank you.

2. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  3. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How did you react to her being taken hostage by the bandits? Begging won't work and just fighting won't work. You havet to basically say you'll give up anything so long as they don't hurt her (don't worry, she's worth it) and then they'll cut her anywayz and then you kill them and she keeps up the flirting. Sorry to say, but I think you fubared it.

4. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would suggest that if this is your first time around with romances, do not use the romance guide. It has way too many spoilers. Part of the intrigue of the romances, particularly Jaheira's, are the dialogues and how your character responds to them -- and the consequences of your responses.

Don't get me wrong -- it's a great guide, but do not use it until you complete at least one romance on your own.

For Jaheira romances, a lot of the dialogues must take place outside and they are triggered after certain events occur -- like the bandits that take her hostage. One of the best places I found for her dialogues to trigger is outside de'Arnise Keep. Also, there are certain chapters where there are no romance dialogues at all (though which ones, I don't remember -- I think they are chapters 3, 4, and 6)

5. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

:doh: You are of course most right. Do not let your eagerness spoil the suprises which await you.
    Now, IIRC (but do not trust me here) if Jaheira was not hurt by the bandits, the romance should be going on; next you should receive a visit... but please correct me if wrong.
    Romances will not proceed in dungeons; since most of chapter 5 qualifies as such do not expect much there. No idea about chapter 4 though...

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If you let Jaheira die, then the romance is over. Even if you went and got her resurrected, I don't think the romance continues. The romance was still active when the bandits showed up, but if she died in a battle after that, I think it's over.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you done the harper quests?

8. Arian Gems: 5/31

IIRC the Harper quests (save Xvar's little run about) don't start till after the bandits. Been awhile since I romanced her. But yeah, if she dies ever (or gets petrified or paralyzed or kicked out of the party) romance ends.

9. stormhand Gems: 4/31

Thank you all for your replies, it is much appreciated.

I do not want to go through the guide for the reasons mentioned by Spelladonna. I already know enough about the game like that, I want to keep a few surprises for myself!! (my first time through :rolleyes: )

With regards to the hostage situation, I did not beg nor revert to violence, although it still ended in a fight. I offered the cutpurses to take me as an hostage instead of Jaheira and got shot for it. And after the fight, Jaheira was not to please about my behavior :o but she ended her speech with something like: !I already lost Kalid, so I don't want to...." So I believed the romance was still on. And based on your comments, it would appear that the hostage situation only takes place if the romance is still on, right?

I have not yet done the Harpers' quest. I guess it's another surprise down the drain!! But it's OK, you're all helping me out here, I really appreciate it.

Now I just have to go back to a previous saved game 'cause Jaheira was killed in my last fight!! Just in time so I don't have to go back too far!! :D

And once again, thank you all for the advices. ;)

10. diebysteel Gems: 4/31

IIrc the romance is only screwed if Jaheira is petrified, imprisoned or something that kicks her out of the party. If she just dies and you revive her, the romance isn't screwed i think.

11. Arian Gems: 5/31

I coulda sworn if she dies it's over...

@stormhand

Sorry about the spoilers without a warning...but anyways, I've never selected that option so I'm not sure (I usually just beg, could never lose Jaheria) Maybe someone who's done it that route could help you out more, but IIRC if she's actin pissy it might be over. Of course if you want to check, just CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime("7200") about 6-7 times, if nothing happens, go outdoors and sleep, if nothing happens, then the romance is over.

12. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

Stormhand, wise idea not to use the guide if it is the first time through. Guess many around here (including me) are assuming everybody has played the game n times already...
    The choice you made with the bandits will not kill the romance, don't worry.
    As for the Harper quest: I would try it soon. I am not sure it helps the romance, but why risk ? You should have brought back in town somebody needing healing already. Just go on from there.
    And if you want to make sure the romance is still alive, you can try this command on the CLUAConsole:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

You will get a number, if it is 1 the romance is still alive and you just need to fulfill some other requirement.
    Hope this helps !

13. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Dying is treated as being removed from the party. If your romantic interest dies, gets petrified, imprisoned or kicked out, the romance ends.

If you offered yourself as a hostage to the bandits, then the romance will continue. All other options will kill it. This is one of the events that must occur for the romance to continue.

The Harper Quests are triggered when you rescue Renfeld (poisoned man) from bandits and deliver him to the Harper Hold in Athkatla. These quests are not required for the romance but you get some good experience out it and some decent battles. It also gives excellent insight into Jaheira.

14. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

This is a little bit off topic by now, but are you sure about this ? I am pretty sure that the romance continues also if you offer to give up your equipment. Please correct me if I am being wrong here.

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Don't know for sure either, both times I've done this I've offered myself as a hostage instead

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Let's clear things up.

With the bandits offering yourself hostage is a good way to do it. Offering Equipment is also good. Picking a fight or begging like a pansy is not good.

You have to do the Harper quests to continue the romance.

If Jaheira leaves the party EVER (unless she leaves of her own will) then the romance is over.

Dying normally and being revived does not end the romance.

In most romances the NPC can be out of the party for 3 days, after that it's over. Jaheira MUST NEVER BE KICKED OR REMOVED FROM THE PARTY IN ANY WAY unless of her own will.

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    If you're romancing Jaheira, I suggest you visit here: www.worldzone.net/manveru for a bunch of nifty Jaheira romance fixers.

18. stormhand Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] @ Arian: Don't even worry about it. Those are very minor spoilers. I cannot expect to visit this site, read posts and ask questions without finding out a few things here and there. And if ever I eventullay read a major spoiler, who's to blame? Me, myself, and I!! I'm being careful to the topics I pick. So again, this is nothing and I appreciate all replies!

Quite a while ago, I brought back the sick character to the Harpers' house, but nothing spawned from it. I later tried to speak to the "guard" in front of the door and again, but again, nothing. I'll try it again - maybe last time was because I got a "The character is now busy, bla, bla, bla ..." I just installed XP, so you see my point!! (By the way, I'm still just in the 2nd chapter - I'm afraid that by getting Imoen, that will end Chpater 2 and that I might lose some opportunities with regards to quests and such - but that's another subject altogheter!!)

And again, just so you know I appreciate all your help, a big thank you!! I realy enjoy this site and its community. ;)

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think to activate the rest of the Harper quests you have to go back near the bottom of the steps where you will meet Xzar. He gets the ball rolling there. Could be wrong though

20. Arian Gems: 5/31

You gotta talk to the guy in front of the door while holding Renfeld's body. Then as you leave the docks you'll see Xvar who can help you finish it up. And don't worry about getting Immy ruining your quests. So long as they aren't on a time limit they'll still be there when you get back. Chapter 6 is the first chapter after you get her back that you can do the same quests as in chapter 2 (and I mean the EXACT same quests).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.