1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do I shrink the file size of a pic?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have a portrait that is file size 73kb that I'm trying to shrink the file size of so I can use them for BG2EE. How can I do this? I've shrunk it as well as a few others by using the online picture resizer (shrinks pics only) that can be found here: http://www.picresize.com/results

They are 110 x 170 in dimension so that is fine.

The other portraits I shrunk work fine. It's just this 1 :(

55.2kb is the size they need to be.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/Eyebreaker/strangeL_zpsaea230c7.png

The other pics are fine both file size and dimensions.

Can someone make it the right file size please?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I could, but the image you've pasted is 32 kB. Are you sure it's the right image?

Plus, I don't really think image size matters much to the game, does it? I use images way larger than 55 kB...

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Introduce it to my ex....

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
  6. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Thanks for the resized pic.
    I tried using paint but for some reason it would tell me it was a bmp but when I uploaded it to photobucket or the picture resized website it said it was a png for some unknown reason.....:confused:
    Thanks again. Much appreciated. :)

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No probs, it takes me 10s to do that in Photoshop.

This also reminded me that I need to finish painting the portrait for my NPC project.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You've asked this same question several times already in different game forums on these boards. The information is already on the message boards. Do you need some help learning to use the search feature to find it again?

May I suggest bookmarking the threads where I answered this question in detail so you can come back to it next time?
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58442&highlight=resize
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61423&highlight=resize

I'm not trying to be impolite, I'm just pointing out that detailed instructions are already on the board in threads started by you in the last year and offering to help you learn how to locate them again at need instead of asking the same question over and over again.

I'm trying to follow the old adage of "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for life". If I teach you to do this yourself, you don't have to wait for other people all the time to resize images.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    InfranView wants me to add a toolbar link. Not happening.

On to Gimp: Wow. Looks like a LOT of options. Lol.
    Gonna take me a while to figure out how to do the simple things. Like resizing. That's my top priority. :tobattle:

SlickRCBD no worries. It's pretty hard to tell a person's attitude through text. That's why I like to use smilies :p

I have had (and more I'm sure) a lot of questions as can be seen on the forums. You guys/gals have done me a tremendous lot of putting up with all my questions. Thanks a ton. Much appreciated.

I had another question but I forgot what it was :rolleyes:

---------- Added 16 hours, 28 minutes and 56 seconds later... ----------

Ah hah. I remember now. How do I get a pencil mode in Gimp? If I select pencil from the toolbox I get an inch (aprox) wide line that "draws" instead of a pencil.
    This is probably very simple but I seem unable to figure it out. Would someone please tell what to do.
    Now now. Be nice :p
    I've been poking around for about 10-15 minutes with no luck. I have an arrow head to partially re-draw as well as part of a foot.

Would it be possible for someone to clear this pic so it's just Snake-eyes please?

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/Eyebreaker/comic characters/snake_eyes_super.jpg

A pic of just Storm Shadow would be great as well but it's probably not possible considering what is covered?

What tool do you use for such actions?

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The size of everything you draw with a tool depends on the chosen brush. Choose a smaller brush.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You don't need to install any toolbars along with IrfanView, just opt not to during the install.

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I must be doing something wrong because no matter the size of the brush or pencil I choose I get a box that shows instead of a line?

---------- Added 0 hours, 24 minutes and 33 seconds later... ----------

Just installed irfanview. So far I haven't gotten the hang of either one of them but I'll keep playing with them :)

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Version 3.95 if you can find it is a bit simpler but does what you want.
    However, it is over ten years old.
    You shouldn't need to install any toolbars to use irfanview.

For what you want, just open the image in the program,
    Go to the "image" menu bar and choose "Resize/Resample"
    It will let you choose from a number of options.
    Generally you will want to keep the aspect ratio even if it means it won't resize to exactly what you need for the game. Make sure that box is checked.
    Find the part that lets you enter in the appropriate size and decide if the height or the width is more important for the given game and image and enter in the appropriate value. Then hit OK.
    If the image looks bad, you can experiment with the other options, but that's generally all I do. Once the image is resized, Go to file and choose "save as" and you can save in a wide variety of file formats. Choose whatever is appropriate.
    This is for version 4.33, I never updated on Windows 7 as I don't have any issues with this program that need it. I have older versions on each OS.

As for alternatives,
    Microsoft has this, but it may not work in anything but Windows XP, I never got around to trying it. Again, I use IRFanview, but I know some people that swore by it as being better at (or at least equal to ) anything else for resizing images, but that's all it does:
    Image Resizer
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=211477
    If the link doesn't work, try the Windows XP Powertoys page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/xp-downloads#2TC=powertoys
    You might have to click on "powertoys" instead of "featured downloads"

This thread might have some other programs you might find easier to use, but as IrfanView has worked very well for me since the early 2000's, I haven't investigated alternatives:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...as-there/3e7b6f6d-eae8-4580-a92f-4a375016dd4c

I haven't experimented with GIMP in over ten years and I was never very proficient. I know people who need and use it however. Unfortunately, none share my addiction for RPGs, although one did like action-RPGs/action-adventure games like the classic Zelda games.

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Thanks SlickRCBD. Much appreciated :)

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you are talking about tools. The pencil and the paintbrush (and the eraser and airbrush and ink) are all tools for which you can choose different sized brushes. So don't look in the same place you are selecting tools, look for where the brush is selected. There are lots of brush types and sizes; you probably want a circle of small diameter.

16. Eyebreaker7

Media:
  17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't know how to help you with GIMP for photo editing or even resizing. I know GIMP is to Photoshop as Libre Office is to Microsoft Office.
    I.E. An open-source freeware alternative to a popular but expensive productivity program that is supposed to be just as powerful with comparable features.

I can name several people who use it, but to my knowledge none of them are on this board and none play the games featured on this site.

I've been using IrFanView to do this kind of thing for over ten years, and before that I used a program called "Graphic Converter" on the pre-Mac OS X Macintosh (I did say this was over ten years ago). I never bothered to investigate other possibilities since IrfanView took care of my needs nicely. Since it didn't connect to the internet, I never bothered keeping up with updates either as I saw the security risk as minimal.

Irfanview has several features going for it that are useful:
    1. The ability to display just about all graphics formats and either fit to screen or show actual size. No more worrying "Which program do I use to see that kind of pic?"
    2. Slideshow. I know some later versions of Windows have such a tool built-in, but it was NOT part of Windows 98SE when I started using it.
    3. The ability to convert from one graphic format to another, such as .bmp to .GIF, .TIFF to JPG.
    4. The ability to resize a pic for a game or use as an avatar.
    5. The ability to crop a pic to include only the needed parts and get rid of unneeded garbage. Less useful after I learned about ALT-PrintScreen instead of just PrintScreen, but still useful.

That's about all I do in the way of graphic editing, and Irfanview has fulfilled all my needs splendidly. I don't bother with more powerful and sophisticated tools like GIMP.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't know. It looks like you have the paintbrush tool and the 3x3 pixel brush selected... the cursor shouldn't be that big square.

19. Eyebreaker7

Media:
  20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Photobucket is probably converting it when you upload. Some of the image sites love to mess around with your pics when you upload them rather than leaving them unchanged.
    They'll make "screen size" versions of the pics and convert them to whatever format they use internally.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.