1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How bad would a massive multiclass party be?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Jul 30, 2018.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I've heard things over the years deriding triple classed characters because they don't get enough XP to become powerful.
    I've also heard it is doable to start a level 1 party in Heart of Fury mode.

How bad would the following party be? All half-elves unless noted
    F/M/T (Elf)
    C/F/M
    R/C
    F/D
    Bard
    Paladin (Human)

Could it be viable for starting in HoF mode? Would it work in normal?

Alternately, here's the other idea I'm pondering for HoF:
    3 F/M/T
    3 C/F/M
    That one would have everyone advancing more or less equally, and it's been a LONG time since I've played without a bard.
    It might be even more interesting.

So, how well would those compositions work for starting at level 1 in HoF mode? If not, how bad would they be in normal for eventual export?

I'm leaning towards the first one because I'm young at heart and part of me is still a teenage boy who enjoys the "unwanted harem comedy" and thinking of making all the elves female and the paladin a male who has vows similar to that of Catholics, in the "no sex before marriage, marriage is between one man and one woman" sense, so the eleven maidens can joke about being "his harem".
    Just something that popping into my head while bored, thinking it would have been fun for an AD&D campaign and adopting it to this.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I forgot to mention that I've modded the game to let double-class characters get double the XP cap, and triple class characters get triple the XP cap.

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've ran the game on HoF with a solo F/M/C and managed to complete it, so yes both party compositions should do fine.
    taking 6 triple class characters through HoF is fine because of the way the bonus experience works out, (double the usual XP + 2000) though i am unsure if you'll be able to reach your new modded level caps in a single playthrough.

When playing on normal/core rules i'd go with the first party for sure since you're not spending the xp you do get across too many places.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I tried it, and I don't really see how starting at level 1 in HoF mode is really viable. Even when everyone is Blessed and the bard is singing, I'm only hitting those beetles in the pub on a 19 or 20.
    I forgot, does Sleep work on the goblins outside town in HoF mode? What about Color Spray?

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Use bows on all characters to kite the goblins in the starting map - kite them one by one.
    As soon as your Clerics get access to animate undead, that's pretty much the rest of the game since summons get the same stat boosts that enemy mobs do.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Well, the C/F/M, the R/C, and the F/D are unable to use bows. The C/F/M and R/C are limited to slings while the F/D can use slings, darts, or throwing daggers. I gave the paladin a crossbow so somebody could use those bolts I find, so that leaves only the bard (long bows) and the F/M/T (short bows).
    I'm not sure I can get only one goblin to follow me around without getting lucky with Entangle and Grease, the latter of which I did not pick and cannot purchase until I get to Kuldahar.
    Then there's the issue of only being able to cast said spells once.

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    It *can be done though, even on a single character.
    I just ran with a fresh f/m/c to check - going solo helps with early levels, since taking all the easy quests (jhonen's sword/old jeb's wine/etc) is enough to give you quite a few levels allowing you to get summons pretty quickly.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Obviously I'm doing something wrong because I've completed the quest from the sea nymph giving Jhonen the sword, getting the drunk to sober up, and the harmless bugs in the basement of the pub, but I'm getting creamed by the frigging wolf in the warehouse. I can't think of anything else to get XP besides the wolf before facing the goblins.

Just for the heck of it, I turned off HoF mode and tried again the wolf died almost instantly. One casting of Command and then he gets turned into a pincushion with the party buffed with Bless and the bard singing.
    I turn back on HoF mode and it is my party where everybody but the Paladin gets 1-hit KO, and the KO is more like Killed Outright. The paladin gets 2 hits.
    The double and triple classed characters are still at level 1 with ~3000XP. The paladin is level 2, the bard level 3.
    Any suggestions on spell picks or what I'm doing wrong? I'm going to use DaleKeeper and fill the 1st level spell book of the bard and both mages with all the first level spells since I can't buy scrolls yet as obviously I picked wrong for HoF mode.
    I tried to kite the wolf with the bard while he sings and runs, but it doesn't seem to work too well in the confined warehouse and the wolf switches targets when he gets too close to the party.

I've beaten HoF mode before, but only by using a party that had already beaten the game and had access to late game spells, had a much lower THAC0, and far more hit points.
    Starting at level 1 in HoF mode is not really working out for me. I guess they call it "nightmare mode" internally for a reason.
    I could use suggestions on tactics to survive until I reach Kuldahar, by which point I'll probably be able to use the summons suggestion.

Or maybe I should just play through with this party in normal mode since I suspect it is the multiclasing that is literally killing me.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Ok, I decided I needed to work on spell picks, so I cheated all the level 1 wizard spells into the bard and 2 mages' spellbooks.
    It seems color spray does work on the wolf, which helped. Now the F/M/T is level 1/1/2 and the R/C is also 1/2.
    Time to take a nap in the inn and face the mighty goblins.

Sorcerer's Place is an independent project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of time and money on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!