1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HotU: Rogue builds...?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by underthewronghat, Mar 28, 2007.

1. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

[​IMG] Howdy all,

Just starting out in HotU. I loved playing through the first two modules with my Ranger1/RogueX... Now I'm fighting *ahem* tougher opponents and more spellcasters, wondering if a rogue-type is not very playable, or if I just need some tailoring as I advance?

Comments, Ideas?

2. Latro Gems: 5/31

I played a human Rogue x/Fighter 2 through all of the OC and HotU.
    At the end of the OC my character was level 18 and at the end of HotU he was level 28.
    Though I played with D&D Standard rules setting I didn't have one encounter which proved to tough.

I maxed out my Hide/Move silently skills for exploring and backstabing.
    And maxing out the UMD skills proved quite useful as well. There are so many scrolls, rods and other magical devices available in HotU that you can use your Rogue as a quite competent spellcaster.
    Good equipment is very important of course. But after a short while in HotU you should have enough money to buy almost anything you need ;)

3. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Ah. Good to hear...

I just ran into a party of duergar, and their wizard casted "darkness" :happy: --BIG mistake! All my attacks suddenly became SNEAK attacks with 8 extra dice of damage. Wow! That was a massacre...
    I'm hoping the drow use more darkness in their strategies. :smash:

Secret doors and traps are easy to find so far as well --I've even recovered a few traps... :cool:

Also on this topic --has anyone ever used the "set traps" skill to any strategic effect?

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I recommend picking up 9 levels of Cleric in any Rogue build out there. This nets you neat buffs all the way up till lvl 5 which will allow you to boost your melee non-sneak damage QUITE a bit (Divine Favor, Divine Power, Darkfire, Aid, Prayer, Battletide etc) not to mention allow you to cast Darkness, Ultravision, Haste, Invisibility & Improved Invisibility (provided you take the correct domains)...

This will take care of any issues you have as a Rogue with survival issues!

5. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I started HotU with a Rogue 10 / Monk 3 and eventually added some assassin levels until I encountered a bug and had to restart. This guy was a veritable killing machine with an insane amount of attacks (3 standard attacks per round, plus Cleave, plus Circle Kick, plus Flurry of Blows, plus attacks of opportunity vs spellcasters... plus a robe of Haste...). Whenever the Monk's Stunning Attack connected, all the following attacks would also be Sneak Attacks.

When I encountered an enemy I couldn't sneak attack, I used scrolls and wands while my meatshields where doing their job. Also, with a couple of scrolls of Darkness I could also replicate underthewronghat's fun with Duergar at will...

Mmmm... I think I shall replay this guy from SoU again. :grin:

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not strategic no, but tactical yes. There are lots of places where you can set traps and get foes to chase you through them.

It's just that it's rarely (if ever) necessary and takes time to scout out and set up, so it's not really worth it unless you just enjoy that kind of thing.

7. Latro Gems: 5/31

I did with my Rogue.

Some spoiler ahead ;)
    In Undermountain Level 1 in the Central area you will encounter an Old Blue Dragon. Quite challenging even for a party of three at this level.
    But though it is hostile it won't attack you until you attack it first (or until you open one of the chests IIRC).
    My rogue recovered all the traps in the room and set them up again in front of the dragon. Then he retreated back to the entry and attacked the Dragon with his Bow. The Dragon reacted at once. While advancing to my character it triggered all the traps on its way and died in front of my Rogue. Very funny ;)
    And there are a lot of similar situations.
    Your Rogue can use his hide and move silently abilities either to backstab or he can use them to explore first an set up an ambush with traps next. I prefer the latter.

8. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Regarding set traps, in A dance with rogues 1 and 2, which you definitely should play if you like rogues, I used it extensively, along with craft traps, it is great. Depending on the module, you can either find or buy trap components, and with a high enough skill, you can make up to deadly level traps. For example, skeletons will leave a skeleton knuckle which is used for negative traps. If there is not a lot of components in the module, recovering traps can be useful.

One memorable trap using moment for me was when my rogue was having trouble with the Wind Zombie in HOTU. He would rip me up whenever I got close to him, and I had already used up all my acid arrows, only bringing him to badly wounded. I ran a little ahead and layed down two acid traps. He was toast.

I like rogues, can you tell?

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Oh yeah, about the traps...when playing a single classed Rogue without Wizard or Cleric levels, I always stock up on Holy Waters and craft Deadly Holy Traps for the Undead I come across. Works like a charm! And Deadly Acid Blob traps for Golems too!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.