1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hogfather Mini series

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by joacqin, Mar 21, 2008.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to say that I found the Hogfather novel to only be average by Pratchett standards but I am now in the process of watching the British mini series of two parts and it is up to now excellent. It is well done, it is in contrast to the animated Pratchett series completely in the spirit of Pratchett. It keeps the mood and everything, excellent and any Pratchett fan should check it out. :)

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I've seen the series you're talking about, and I agree, it's great fun. The Hogfather still hasn't been published in my country (believe it or not), so even the plot was new to me :).

At first, as a Discworld fan, I didn't want to watch it, since I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but the diskworldness was definitely there. :)

The atmosphere, characters, places... Truly beautiful.

Some of Death's lines left me speechless.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This was broadcast here over Christmas and I thoroughly enjoyed it...in some ways it kinda had the same feel to me, visually at least, as Lexx...anyway, I was a little bit p'd off with the TV station it was on cos it ran over the advertised time by a LOT so I missed the end...I'd only set my VCR for an extra 10 minutes...

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I was a bit underwhelmed. I think the novels is one of Pratchett's best, and the adaption tried to hard to transfer the exact pacing from paper to celluloid. That doesn't work. So a lot of the jokes misfired.

Visually, it was great (although I was a bit irritated at the depiction of the wizards), and the two leads cast for Teatime (who's downright creepy) and Susan were very good.

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

My sentiments would be exactly the same. I really enjoyed the book but thought that the series merely tried to replicate it on the screen rather than adapting it. Some of the best jokes from the book were from non-plot critical scenes which should really have been cut, the toy store for example. There's no point in having a scene just for one joke, especially as the humour doesn't always translate across fully. I enjoyed it a bit but I'd expect those who hadn't read the book would find it all rather dull. I must say the design work was fabulous though.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Most here llike it because we know the book, and can on cue speak the same lines. For me the visualisation of things by the series compared whit the images in my mind is done on a level I can agree whit.

For the average non reader whose first and only brush whit fantasy was LOtR, it is a pace to slow. It lacked the hollywood style killing and stunts. If Susan was a halfnaked kungfu girl beating up half the cities villains more people will watch it. Or if you coat it whit the sweet disney coating it will be shown every christmas on several networks.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm in total agreement with Fabius Maximus, except I did things backwards and watched the series before reading the book. I was disappointed with the series, then loved the book, then re-watched the series and liked it much more. I agree that a lot of the jokes are lost in translation, especially if you've not read the book. A lot of the jokes in Pratchett's best books are in the narration rather than dialogues, and that does not translate too well into a movie. My major gripe with the series is Teatime actually, as I found him far too annoying (much more so in the series than in the book).

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I saw it around Christmas and thought it was pretty great.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

A friend showed me this last year, and I loved it. I wish I could find the copy he gave me. It was a riot, though people not familiar with Pratchett might have a hard time following some bits.

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I loved the book and the miniseries was the best actor adaption of a book I've ever seen. I loved death at the end talking to the Auditors

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I finally got around to seeing it and how anybody can see this one as well made is beyond me. For starters, IMHO Hogfather is one of Pratchett's worst books and reading it literally felt like pulling teeth (heh). Not at all surprisingly, slogging through 3 hours of Hogfather on TV captured the pulling teeth felling exactly.

Most of the acting was so wooden that if they'd used lipsticked logs instead of actors the adaptation wouldn't have been downgraded much, because dear lord, the directing in this one brings the term "static" to a whole new level of immobility. Death's voice was off (miles better in the PC games), the cheap skull mask whose jaw doesn't move was... cheap, the voice of the Auditors - ugh. Susan could hardly be more unconvincing most of the time and Teatime... well, if there's one character that should never have made his way outside of a Pratchett's book, it's him. As the lines are lifted more or less verbatim from the book, it's not surprising that most of the humour falls flat on its face because it just doesn't work outside of the book. A fact nobody noticed apparently.

All in all, a bad adaptation of one of the most painful Pratchett's books. But I guess Pratchett likes anything where they put him in for a few minutes. :facepalm: And selling it as a Christmas special must have added nicely to Terry's millions, but good grief, I'm embarrassed for him.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    didnt terry describe the voice of death as is it came from within your own mind?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think that precludes jaw movement... and even if it does, it's just something that looks cheap in any decent movie so it's another thing that should have been adapted.

This is how it should have been done:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I liked it. It was very British, with all that entails, but I liked Death's voice and some if his line deliveries. I really liked Susan -- the girl was entertaining and I thought quite a skilled actress. The actor playing Albert was really impressive, too.

I can see how someone unfamiliar with Discworld might have some trouble with the story, though. But you could say that for all Discworld adaptations. Discworld is an acquired taste!

15. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    .... Albert was played by David Jason.... please tell me you know who that is....

death is always a peculiar mystery, I like the Idea that he doesnt physically talk... after all, he is a skeleton. I like the idea that you hear what he is saying even though nothing is said.

and, I enjoyed the clip - I never played the game, is the wizdar voiced by Eric Idle?

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, that's Eric Idle, he's awesome. Many voice actors are the same in the Discworld games as well as the movies. Tony Robinson's great in the games too, for example:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.