1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heroes of Might and Magic V (official)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Apeman, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The game has finally been officially announced with 4 brand new screenshots.

It's 3d alright but it seems to early to judge the game on these screens. I like the look though, especially the knight and the angel.

HoMMV

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i only played III which i never even finished :eek:

not really good at micromanagement. i used to just load all my troops onto one char and my castle would get sacked as a result :sosad:

the screens are definitely cool though.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I have my doubts about it, having only recently tested HoMM4; it was all about raising a bigger army than what your enemy could and combining all units to a single super-unit that basically owns everything it meets. Compared to that, Disciples 2 had much more strategy and a load better atmosphere (after seeing those screenshots, HoMM5 won't be better in that section). Nevertheless, thumbs up and hope that they change the mechanics and improve the graphics.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    III was great. IV seemed great but ultimately sucked. Except the learning "what happened next" part. Expansions sucked. If V goes down the same way, like in the case of the Might & Magic Series, wonder who's going to buy it.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Wirhe we don't even know what the screenshots represent. It could be just a mock up of a background with some monsters painted in. Bunch of negatives here!

[ April 01, 2005, 15:32: Message edited by: Apeman ]

6. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I am quite hopeful for the new heroes. One thing I enjoyed about the heroes series up and till 4 was its link to the "RPGs". Heroes always seemed to set a benchmark for the way things should be done in turn based strategy. For example in the castle town you progress from recruiting lowly pikeman to crusaders and finally on to Archangels.
    You can imagine my disappointment when I saw this -

From that site - "Developed by a seasoned team at Nival Interactive (Blitzkrieg, Silent Storm, Etherlords)"

Etherlords? - I personally thought Etherlords was a big pile of ****.

I remember first playing Etherlords fighting a battle - My hero could only summon ticks (tiny insects). At this point I was hoping maybe I would progress to a big mantis, giant spider or something like that - as far as I could see it you just got bigger and bigger ticks. For some reason the thought of taking on the enemy with an army of fleas never appealed to me that much. I wondered what the developers were thinking when they designed this game.

Just had to get that off my chest.

7. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have no faith in this franchise. I loved 2 and 3 though.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Apeman

You forgot "e" -is my nick that hard to remember, being a finnish word...? :hmm:

Like I said, the reason why I'm so skeptical is that I tried HoMM4 only a few weeks back. I wasn't impressed and when comparing to Disciples 2 or even Warcraft 3 HoMM serie looks just plain old. Sorry buddy, but that is how it is.

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I'm surprised by how negative people are towards HoMM4. I thought it was the best one yet - finally giving your heroes something to do! In fact, it was much more an RPG than the other three - by the end of the campaigns, the heroes could take out armies on their own. I remember finishing the death campaign with just the hero and about 100 vampires (all of them necromanced in rather than bought).

If the 5th one keeps this trend going I might consider buying it :aaa: (me? pay money for a game? :p )

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

heh. maybe I should pick IV up. This is definitely my type of gameplay as apposed to scattering all your forces :mad:

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Right on Vukodlak, I had loads of fun with Heroes IV, it was a good change from II and III even if it had some minor difficulties.

Minor typo Wirhe. My question still stands though, how can you judge a game from four screenshots that we don't even know what they represent. Your argument that 2 older games look better has simply no merit. For an RPG player you have a queer preference if you prefer graphics over story, gameplay and balance.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

No, I don't. As an RPG player I like of games that have a good story, but I also like of games that have working game mechanics. For example: Warcraft 3, despite being awfully limited, makes it all work together quite nicely. The same goes for Alpha Centauri, despite being a ancient game by now. I have repeated myself enough about HoMM4 and guess I need to repeat myself about HoMM5 too:
    Have you thought 'why' one, invincible unit is a "bad" thing for a game like HoMM? Because once you have it, you only need to hunt down smaller units and then proceed to finish the capital -and if you are that enemy, all you can do is watch. What I meant by 'graphics' here is that the current screenshots look Nintendoish and aimed for younger players, not the quality itself (like you assumed).

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

@Wirhe

My question still stands. To repeat it: What can you see in those four screenshots (besides graphics) that this game will in your opinion probably suck. IIRC (and I'm pretty damn sure as I play Heroes I,II,III,IV every consecutive year since they came out) the graphics have always been colorful, somewhat childish and what you describe as nintendoish. Even if they look like that, it says absolutely nothing about the game.

Furthermore you keep referring to Heroes IV, I don't know if you realise that not a single person that was on the team that created IV are making V.

There is no way you can convince anyone that someone can bash a game on four screenshots.

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I quite enjoyed HOMM 2 and 3. I have yet to play 4.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Exactly: that's why I am skeptical and hoping for change. By all means it can be a good game, but it could be better if they did not follow the original HoMM concept so tightly (like they will, I know).

[ April 02, 2005, 13:32: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

16. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Cool. Maybe I'll finally have a reason to go back to the HoMM series--ever since I found Age of Wonders, the HoMM games haven't had a place on my hard drive.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Looks old and toyish. Especially some of th textures looked really low-res (snap006, ground) and the trees could use AA. Are they still going to improve them?

19. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Age of Wonders (and sequels) were IMHO much better in terms of gameplay, but HOMM(3) had that special kind of feel AOW didn't have.
    But those last screenshots look very bad. HOMM3 looked better than that!

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

These last screens are taken before the concept demo they created and will probably look different in the final game. I absolutely love everything so far. It's that familiar M&M vibe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.