1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with Forgotten Realms Locations for a Story

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Feirhanith Dengeird, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

hi. im writing a story/book and already have the ideas set up. the thing is i want to set it in the forgotten realms but dont know any of the locations. i want a setting that can have 3 kingdoms/nations next to each other, and one of them invading the other....the third kingdom wants to help but cant because of political reasons...etc (too complicated a story to explain here, sorry) anyway, i was wondering if anyone can help find me a location to set this story without ruining any already established kingdoms/people etc already mentioned in the forgotten realms.

thanks for any help

[ June 11, 2004, 01:37: Message edited by: Feirhanith Dengeird ]

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just out of curiosity, why are you basing your story in a setting which you know nothing about? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a setting you're more familiar with?

3. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So you want to create three new kingdoms; without affecting any already existing kingdoms in the Realms? Umm...that's asking for quite a bit there, eh?

If you look around the web for a while, I'm sure you could find a map or two of Toril (ie; the Forgotten Realms world...).

You might try looking into Thay and Rashemen; maybe with Aglarond or something as your third party...?

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, I have the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, so I can be of some help, although I recommend that you pick one up if you plan on a lot of FR writing and such.

Well, to start off, Faerun allows a lot of freedom in creating cities and towns and such, at least according to the back of the book, so you can put new locations wherever you want really.

If you feel like using prerendered locations, the Dalelands north of Cormyr would be a great place for this sort of book as they offer a lot of different peoples and beliefs in a small area, yet have a medieval European feel to them. Plus there are the drow in the Cormanthor if you feel like adding some spice to the book.

I think there are probably a lot of sites on the internet that would have maps and info and stuff, but feel free to PM me or reply on this thread if you have any Qs. This book comes in handy.

5. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

in response to david w, i dont really want the hassle of creating a completely new world of my own, although then i would have complete freedom with settings and all sorts. i just wanted to set it in the forgotten realms

i have actually decide to buy the campaign settings book, it looks very helpful. although i may be asking for some more help in the near future as it will take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive from amazon! damn...lol

thanks

[ June 11, 2004, 01:38: Message edited by: Feirhanith Dengeird ]

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Remember to buy it off SP and you'll get a cool, nifty, avatar.

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

And longer surf time on Sorcerers ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.