1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help w/ spells

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by LittleJimmy, Jun 28, 2001.

1. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hiya,
    I was wondering if any of you knew the locations of a couple of spells- Conflagration and Mechanus' Cannon. Were they put into the game in time or will I have to use a Hex Editor to find them? I'd appreciate any help...

2. miniwoo Guest

[​IMG] Spoiler
    IIRC, Mechanus' cannon can be found on the evil mage construct in the Modron Maze. Buy the modron cube from the curiosity shoppe in the upper ward, taunt morte with it, then ask the Modrons in the Brothel ;) about it. They will confirm that its a portal to the modron maze, then you can fiddle with it, and get transported to the Modron maze. You need to set the difficulty to hard to get to Nordom and the Evil Mage Construct. ;)

3. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

Ta very much...

I actually completed the game without even bothering to find Nordom- I got bored and frustrated with that bloody Modron maze (Perseverance? What's that? Oh well)....

Oh, and what about Ignus' Fury and Esylum's Fires? I saw them in the 'hotkey' menu, but I'm guessing they were left out of the game. Any way of getting them?

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

El. Fires, Conflagration and Ignus' Fury you can't get without cheating. And there are more of such spells.

5. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

OK, thanks very much.
    Now... anyone know a good Hex Editor?

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

7. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] OK, now for my next (stupid) question- I've got the Editor. The only problem is... I'm completely incompetent using any technical piece of software that doesn't have large, colourful pretty pictures and isn't written in size 50pt Comic Sans (ahem). Sooooo- which file do I actually have to edit to access all the hidden spells, and what the !?@%$£! do I do once I've found it? :confused: Any help would be much appreciated.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

ARGH!

Ok, ok...

I can't post all details about it so I'll post a method any beginner in hex editing can use.

-------------------------------------------------------------

First you should get in inventory some items that can be stashed in one slot. I.e charms, bandages, scrolls. Let's say you take bandages. They are easy to find and cheap above all.
    Now with double-click fill each slot of inventory with one or two bandages (maybe you'll need one for Dak'kon...).
    Save the game. Exit it. It is important that you exit it so nothing is left in temp saves or cache.

Open thy file "torment.gam" from within Hex Editor. Find "search" option and put it to search for "BANDAGE". As you will see, fourth byte after BANDAGE code is a value that contains number of bandages in the slot (in fact values are stored in two bytes, but since you're new to this thing we won't get detailed on this).
    Now you can do two things:
    1. Replace BANDAGE with item/scroll code
    2. Change value number, i.e. if you replace value 01 with C8 - in that slot there will be 200 bandages.

Note: You can use windows Calculator to translate dec numbers to hex numbers and vice versa if you're not familiar with that.
    Important note: BE CAREFUL with value byte. Stackable items MUST have a value different than zero - nonstackable (i.e. all weapons) MUST have a value of zero. If you don't keep this rule there is a big chance that you ruin your saved game and get the game bugged!

Ok, ok, don't be terified - just copy the "torment.gam" file somewhere else before you start editing it. So if you mess up something - you'll easily get it back.

As I see you want to get spells so I'll stick to that. Below are scroll/item codes to learn the spells from. Your job is to replace BANDAGE with these codes as you like - DO NOT experiment with another codes! When you replace them all, save the file, load the game, go in inventory and learn spells. And that's it. If you haven't learned ALL spells you wanted - just repeat the process. When you finish with it - only thing left to do is to get bandages back - no problem - just replace some scroll/item code with BANDAGE and increase the value byte.
    Also you can browse the file and spot two spell sections that contain spells (learned and memorized) for each Nameless One and Dak'kon. You can experiment with that - but I don't want to take any responsibility if you destroy the file with that. Skip it for now.

Scroll/Item codes to learn the spells from

(SPWIxxx are scrolls, other words in capitals are item codes)

Level 1
    SPWI102 or BREAST1 or BREAST2 - Armor
    SPWI115 - Blindness
    SPWI101 or RECIPE01 - Chromatic Orb
    SPWI104 - Fist of Iron
    SPWI114 - Friends
    SPWI105 or RECIPE02 - Identify
    SPWI107 - Magic Missile
    SPWI103 - Minor Embalming
    SPWI113 or CIRCLE07 - Missile of Patience
    SPWI108 - Pacify
    No scroll/item to learn it from - Reign of Anger
    CIRCLE02 - Scripture of Steel
    IGNUS01 - Seeking Flames
    SPWI111 or BREAST3 or BREAST4 - Shield
    CIRCLE03 - Submerge the Will
    No scroll/item to learn it from - Tongues of Flame
    CIRCLE04 - Vilquar's Eye

Level 2
    SPWI201 - Adder's Kiss
    SPWI202 or BBSEED - Black Barbed Curse
    SPWI203 - Black Barbed Shield
    SPWI204 or RECIPE03 - Blood Bridge
    SPWI216 - Blur
    SPWI205 - Greater Embalming
    SPWI213 - Horror
    SPWI207 - Ice Knife
    IGNUS02 - Ignus' Terror
    IGNUS04 - Infernal Orb
    SPWI215 - Knock
    SPWI214 - Luck
    SPWI209 - Pain Mirror
    CIRCLE05 - Power of One
    SPWI211 - Strength
    SPWI212 - Swarm Curse

Level 3
    SPWI310 - Ax of Torment
    CIRCLE06 - Balance in all Things
    SPWI301 - Ball Lightning
    SPWI304 - Cloak of Warding
    SPWI305 - Elysium's Tears
    No scroll/item to learn it from - Fiery Rain
    SPWI307 - Hold Undead
    IGNUS03 - Infernal Shield
    SPWI308 - Tasha's Unbearable Derisive Laughter
    SPWI309 - Vampiric Touch
    SPWI311 or CIRCLE08 - Zerthimon's Focus

Level 4
    SPWI401 - Blacksphere
    SPWI402 - Confusion
    No scroll/item to learn it from - Elemental Strike
    SPWI405 - Force Missiles
    SPWI406 - Improved Strength
    SPWI409 - Remove Curse
    SPWI408 - Shroud of Shadows

Level 5
    SPWI501 - Cloudkill
    SPWI502 - Cone of Cold
    SPWI505 - Desert Hell
    SPWI504 or ENOLL - Enoll Eva's Duplication
    SPWI506 - Fire and Ice

Level 6
    SPWI601 - Antimagic Shell
    SPWI604 - Chain Lightning Storm
    SPWI602 - Globe of Ivulnerability
    SPWI603 - Howl of Pandemonium

Level 7
    SPWI701 - Acid Storm
    SPWI702 - Blade Storm
    SPWI704 - Guardian Mantle
    SPWI705 - Stygian Ice Storm

Level 8
    SPWI803 - Deathbolt
    SPWI804 - Ignus' Fury
    SPWI807 - Mechanus' Cannon
    SPWI802 - Meteor Storm Bombardment
    SPWI805 - Power Word, Blind

Level 9
    SPWI912 - Abyssal Fury
    SPWI901 - Celestial Host
    SPWI902 - Conflagration
    SPWI905 - Elysium's Fires
    SPWI909 - Power word, Kill
    SPWI914 - Rune of Torment

To be continued...
    As you can see there are few special spells in the game without scroll/item to learn them from. These spells are ment only to be used by Ignus or Dak'kon.
    But, when you manage learning the spells with the method above, post that you made it and then if you're interested in them I'll spam another post to explain how should you edit the file to obtain these special spells (it will include spell sections I mentioned above):
    - Reign of Anger
    - Tongues of Flame
    - Fiery Rain
    - Elemental Strike

Important:
    This is not true way to do hex editing - but it's the best/safest for newbies. The file "torment.gam" has sections and pointers to sections that change with each new spell learned, with each new special ability obtained and with each new item in inventory. I can't post all that to newbies. It would just complicate things more.

Also, I sent some spell info add-on with spell codes included to our cute and vulnerably delicate friend from the boards to improve his PT walkthru (I'm serious - this is not a joke). Why he hadn't done it, beats me...
    However, if he had included it and sent it to Tal, it would made much shorter postings about all this. But, seems his life purpose is to die young from street fighther business...
    Yeah, yeah, problems this, problems that, home, school, mates, you don't say! Like I don't have similar problems. Will I hurt or kill someone for that? No. It can only make me some more problems.

9. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

Thanks very much for your patience, Extremist. I've now got all the required spells (Ignus' Fury is pretty damn cool!).
    I don't think I'll need the other 4 spells you mentioned, but thanks anyway.

(Sorry it's taken me a while to reply- my Internet connection's been buggered recently)

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Ehm! You're welcome *blush*

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Actually you can see but not get conflaguration.

-
    -
    -
    -
    In the fortress of regrets if u choose to fight trandescendent one then he actually uses it against you. You can also get a powerful spell that i've forgotten the name of if you..
    [MAJOR SPOILER]
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Use the Bronze sphere just before you talk/fight the trandescentent one and you will learn your name (you don't actually find it out but it says the nameless one knows it and becomes the named one). When you learn your name your torment tatto peels of and becomes an infinite uses quick item that casts the spell i can't the remmeber the name of. The spell easily matches conflaguration in damage I used it against the trandescendent one and he was practically a deder before yhe battle started.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.