1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help! Pitfiend/ Cornugons...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rickenbacker, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Rickenbacker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

At the Watcher's Keep. Man, I spent the last 3 nights "cheating" by fighting in the Glabrezu/Succubus room over & over just to gain levels. But since that irritating room with the pit fiend, cornugons & those gray salamander-looking things is a dead magic area, it has to be melee. The hit & run method doesn't work either since those portals don't take you right back.

I just cannot think of Any way to properly bulk up to fight these things.
    I have Imoen, Anomen, Edwin, my archer, & Korgan. We're all 23- 26th level.

I give up. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Having both Imoen and Edwin gives your party an imbalance imho. How about raising Sarevok up a few levels and then having him join for this fight? Greater Whirlwind attacks, and from more than one character, can make that fight a good deal easier.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're still in SoA then you've already "cheated" enough, I suggest you move on. SoA wasn't designed for characters with HLAs - you'll probably breeze through the remaining content and likely max out your characters by mid-ToB.

If you're already in ToB then I agree with Beren, you just need more warrior types. A quick trip to the pocket plane should fix that. Consider bringing Haer'Dalis along. His song works in dead magic zones and protects against/removes fear. The enhanced version also protects against confusion/stun as well as giving your party lots of useful bonuses, and in a pinch just have him use Offensive Spin and he'll hold his own in melee.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    They've got a point. Right before getting to that battle go to your pocket plane if in ToB. Drop all the non-warriors (unless you are romancing Anomen, or someone else using a mod, though the only one listed with a mod I know of is Imoen) and tell them to wait on the pocket plane. Pick up some fighter types like Keldorn, Mazzy, Valygar, and Minsc just for the one battle. Once the demon is slain, you can return and restore your party.

Also you mention only five characters, so you can try at the very least recruiting one of the above just for that one battle and seeing if it helps.

Cernd and Haer Dalis' are also good choices if you use their special abilities. Jaheria is also an acceptable choice, but for some reason even with a belt of strength she never seems as powerful in pure melee as I think she should be from the rules. She seems no better than Anomen even when her fighter level is higher than his. Maybe it's just me. Anomen is not too shabby as a fighter either.
    If you're in SoA, you can consider Yoshimo loaded with a bunch of potions of invisibility for backstabbing.

Still, Watcher's Keep is the one place where you really don't want to grind, in SoA as the enemies will scale with your levels more than most other areas.

If you're still in SoA, you'll have to do your recruiting outside the keep, but the principal of recruiting more muscle temporarily still applies, and most of the enemies should be cleared out by now. Minsc would be happy to lend his sword to fight evil, and Keldorn would consider it his duty as a Paladin, unless he's retired to be with his wife. Mazzy as a paladin wanna-be would join you as well.

5. Rickenbacker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Alright...

I finally manged to melee them all to death. It was tough, but I did it. Thanks for the advice. I got rid of Edwin & swapped him for Sarevok.

But now I'm faced with a new problem.

Apparently, I'm supposed to head south from the pit fiend room to meet the succubus & her minions. She's supposed to help find my way to the next level. So I headed south. Nothing. I have a bad feeling I might've already killed her earlier in the game.

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You don't need her. You just need the clues from Yakman's journal. If you get a wrong step, you only need to start the sequence over again.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As Beren said, you don't need the sirens. You don't even need to kill anyone in the maze (it's easier with the one of the two talking demons, though). If I don't want or need anything from the maze, I just follow the directions of Yakman directly (you don't even need to do this, I believe there's a shorter way through the maze too) and bypass most of the fights by running for the exit straight away.

You just need to collect the gems from the demons with the groups around it, the ones that talk to you, which I believe you can pickpocket off of them if they remain neutral (as long as the character they're talking to isn't good aligned, you can usually get away from them without them attacking you).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.