1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help me with Latin

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Oaz, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

"Lancea Sanctum."

1. How do you pronounce these words?

2. What is the definition of these words? (Any possible historical allusions?)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Chev's going to be your best bet for help. I've checked dozens of those "free" online language translators, and not one of them had Latin listed. :confused: :rolling:

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1). See Chev. :)

2. Holy Spear

3. The name given to the spear used to pierce Christ's side. Turns up in several myths and even a modern game about vampires.

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

1) Lan-kaya Sank-tum. Latin 'c's are pronounced as 'k's, hence Cicero becomes kikero.

I'm learning it, so hey

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I want to learn Latin someday, although im not very good with the whole language scene , so i could be difficult...

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There are many ways of pronouncing that, depending on which pronunciation you use. What Daie suggests is the popular pattern of modern classical scholars. You can also try pronouncing it as if it were English, just each syllable on its own (the older English way). Or you could pronounce it the Italian way (aka Vatican, RCC).

The Holy Spear can only be one thing, namely the spear with which St. Longinus pierced Jesus's side on the cross.

7. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Latin was actually on the curiculum on the school I went to - it was compulsary up to the age of 14. I found it more interesting - because a lot of the work was tied into Roman history. It was difficult in that there was a lot of basic grammar to pick up although there are a lot of tie ins with modern english in the way the words are spelt. For example "quintus per via ambulat" - via - street and ambulat - walks are used quite closelt in common english today.
    A lot of the lessons reminded me of that scene from the life of brian. Yes it was one of those schools......

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I hate latin. I hate spanish. I love german, but only got one year of it. If you're going to take a language, though, take latin. A minor understanding of latin can help you figure out what a lot of complex and advanced english words are.
    ex.) Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

9. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Latin is fantastic, and yes, if you want the classical Latin pronunciation, it would be Lan-kea Sank-tum.

Of course if you don't want the proper Latin ( :p ) just use the vulgate pronunciation which would be Lanchea Sanktum (iirc).

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, yes, but there's that late-Roman pronunciation in which you would say lantzea sanktum. We used that normally in Poland, even though the younger profs prefer all c's as k's and all. I can record the samples if someone really cares. :p

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Can I ask my own latin question?

The words: Veritas Aequitas

They are the name of a song, but I don't know what the mean...

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Veritas = Truth
    Aequitas = Justice

I don't speak Latin, I just liked The Boondock Saints :1eye:

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Out of curisoty; Did you refer to Lancea Sanctum as the sect in Vampire the requiem?

Might as well ask a question myself!

Lex divina,

Divina is pretty easy to figure, but lex? I think light is lux, maybe a declension? If you wonder it's a Priest spell in a RPG ;)

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Well, try working from words like Lexicion. I think it has something to do with reading/writing, but am unsure.

Chev?

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I don't think it's a spelling error, since I just found it in Newton's Principia Mathematica, right beneath "PROPOSITIO VII. PROBLEMA II", maybe the context will help translate the word *shrug*

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
  17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Ohhhh thanks,

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.